Runners - what do you do during your run?

Options

Replies

• BlueEyed_Beauty
    Options
    When on the treadmill I listen to music. When outside I enjoy the beauties of nature and relax my mind of all the things bothering me.
  • aldousmom
    aldousmom Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    mostly, I watch where I'm going, think about the terrain, etc. (I run mostly on unpaved hiking trails). On treadmills or tracks, I sometimes use music, and other times just think about running. all of my ultras are done without music, and I enjoy running and being alone with my own thoughts for long periods of time now. It's very nice and I have quite interesting and compelling thoughts. :)
  • 1brokegal44
    1brokegal44 Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    On the treadmill-music in my ears, sports on the tube.
    Outside--music in my ears, focus on the road and breathing.
  • RachelHoffman0709
    RachelHoffman0709 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    "Listen" to music. I put that in quotes because I really tend to completely zone out during my runs; they're pretty much the only time when I'm not thinking... totally clears my head.

This. I have earbuds in and music playing, but I tend to zone out as well.
    Me three. As long as I can't hear myself huffing and puffing away, I won't poop out so fast.

All of this! As long as my music is loud enough to drown out the sounds of my breathing, I'm good.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Talk smack during group runs .... listen to music during solo time. Louder music during races.
  • jigsawxyouth
    jigsawxyouth Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I'm currently rotating with the Zombies, Run! running "game" (running from zombies to your own music while gathering supplies to rebuild your town? IT'S AWESOME)

and the NoSleep podcast... I just get lost in the stories and my run is over and done with before I know it!
  • Sarah4fitness
    Sarah4fitness Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I've found that I get kind of bored with the treadmil/tv setup, although it has been nice during cold weather!

I like to use the Zombies, Run! app because it mixes my music into a fun storyline.

I too run from the zombies. I primarily do this outdoors. I do not run on the treadmill unless I'm doing deadmills, and when I do those, I CAN'T do anything but pant and sweat. I always have my music on, though.
  • TriShamelessly
    TriShamelessly Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    "Listen" to music. I put that in quotes because I really tend to completely zone out during my runs; they're pretty much the only time when I'm not thinking... totally clears my head.

This. I have earbuds in and music playing, but I tend to zone out as well.

• sallyah13
    sallyah13 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Zone out, solve the world's problems :) it is my time to let go of all the crummy stuff from the day and just relax. Often I work through my biggest issues and problems on a run or at least come up with the best solutions! I am lucky to live in a rural area so I don't need music to drown out noise and can just enjoy being outdoors.
  • nlflores
    nlflores Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Listen to music and pray!
  • kristy6ward
    kristy6ward Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I only listen to audiobooks. And I can only listen while on a run. This is particularly motivating if the book is good and I want to find out what happens next.
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    I have music from time to time when I run on the very cold winter days.

I have been part of a local running group for a little over a year now. So, I have company for long runs.

For most of my individual runs, I enjoy the scenery and being out doors. A time to de-stress and unwind! :-)
  • GlitterrMagpie
    GlitterrMagpie Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I run outdoors, I have music playing and I just do a lot of thinking. Running makes me feel very zen :happy:
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    Nothing at all, I just run. It's a total no thinking, no nothing time. The best hour of my day.

I think if you are running on a treadmill & watching TV then you are not working out hard enough. You should not be able to even take it in during running.
  • mojohowitz
    mojohowitz Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    I try to meditate. It's effing hard to stop you inner dialogue. Sometimes I just give up and listen to pandora.
  • _db_
    _db_ Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    What precious little oxygen that is available for use by my higher mental functions is put to use making sure I don't injure myself and convincing my legs to keep on moving. Really, my mind goes completely blank apart from the simple--or not so simple in my case!--act of running. So far, it seems marginally healthier than drinking my conscious mind into a similarly silent submission.
  • MrsK20141004
    MrsK20141004 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Bump to read later!
  • kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options
    I listen to music but I'm generally too busy thinking "Breathe. You're not gonna die. You can do this. 2 more minutes" to focus on it. LMAO

ETA: I currently do all my runs in the dark too after my kids go to bed so a LOT of my focus just goes into making sure I'm not gonna fall in a pothole or get hit by a car or grabbed by a psychotic killer.
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    Options
    Zombies, Run app. I try to get in the zone but usually my mind is cluttered with a 1000 random, nonsensical thoughts.
  • superfox12082
    superfox12082 Posts: 512 Member
    Options

Most of the time I don't even notice the music is playing...