Need tips to up water consumption.

Anybody have helpful/healthy tips on how to make drinking water easier? I've been trying to have my eight glasses a day but it's just so darn boring. I would always rather eat than drink something and I definitely want to change that.

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    it's not necessarily water...fluids work specifically non caffinated.

I have milk etc.

I do drink water but for me it has to be ice cold...sometimes I put a flavor in it but not often..

I prefer to drink my ocean spray diet juice with club soda for my fluids.
  • mamahannick
    mamahannick Posts: 322 Member
    This might sound silly, but I found a water bottle I really liked and that helped me pick it up more throughout the day and drink more from it.
  • Linnaea27
    Linnaea27 Posts: 639 Member
    I agree with PP who said finding a water bottle they like helped. I was always terrible at drinking enough water until I got a Camelbak water bottle with the flip-up silicone nozzle. I originally needed it as a water bottle that wouldn't spill water if I knocked it over while open. . . went through an extremely clumsy phase due to anxiety. . . but quickly discovered that it was so fun to drink out of, I was easily taking in twice as much water during the day as I normally would.

The company also very nicely replaces parts of the bottles for free if you break them by mistake.

ETA: to clarify that I don't work for Camelbak! :P
  • ywalchle
    ywalchle Posts: 101 Member
    add "water" fruits/veggies to the water to flavor it naturally... Water melon, cucumbers, pineapple, all different kinds of fruits you can add.
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    My water cup looks like it is full of beer.

ShowDesignImage.ashx?ProductId=BREW-I-16-2-WRA&Resolution=2&Category=WEB-HERO

confuses my co-workers and makes it more fun to drink water around the management!
  • ywalchle
    ywalchle Posts: 101 Member

confuses my co-workers and makes it more fun to drink water around the management!

I love your water bottle!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member

I love your water bottle!

I want one of those.
  • kborton1122
    kborton1122 Posts: 914 Member
    I am a coffee addict. So I use coffee as my reward for drinking water. I will drink 2 glasses of water before I allow myself a cup of coffee. I generally drink 3-4 cups of coffee a day, and 99% of the time I get in 8 cups or more of water.
  • Tpope66
    Tpope66 Posts: 17 Member
    Water with Lemon and Ginger Root
    Water, Cucumber,Lime,Mint
    Water with strawberries and mint
    You'll just have to experiment and see what you like.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    The easiest way is to just drink what you like, and stop worrying about arbitrary things. Drink when you are thirsty, stop when you aren't. Everything you drink that isn't hard liquor hydrates you just as well as plain water (so, juice, milk, soda, coffee, tea, beer, etc.) You even get plenty of water from food you eat.
  • purplemurfy
    purplemurfy Posts: 95 Member
    This is the exact problem I was just discussing with another MFP-er. I need to up my water intake as well. Trying to keep my water bottle in front of my computer so that I see it all the time in hopes it will remind me to drink. I may start setting a 2 hour timer and if I haven't finished my 16 oz bottle, I need to do it right then......

Would love suggestions as well.
  • Empty_Calories
    Empty_Calories Posts: 81 Member
    I agree with the tips about getting a water bottle you like. You might also want to consider adding flavor to it. You can get different kinds of drops or naturally add fruit (berries, lemon, cucumber, etc.). They also sell special "infuser" water bottles that keep the fruit separate if you're worried about ending up with seeds in your mouth.

One other thing I've noticed, if I keep my water bottle in front of me where I can see it, I tend to drink more.
  • cursiny
    cursiny Posts: 907 Member
    This might sound silly, but I found a water bottle I really liked and that helped me pick it up more throughout the day and drink more from it.

THIS!!! My new one has flip flops all over it and I bring it with me EVERYWHERE!
  • dogwhisperette
    dogwhisperette Posts: 177 Member
    You mentioned you prefer it ice cold. I use a Bubba and it keeps it as cold as it was when I filled it and ice cubes last a long time. As for what you can do to help perhaps these idea's may help. I love them and you can play around with anything you like.

Mint leaves, cucumber and lemon slices. I also put some of the mint leaves in an ice cube tray with water and freeze over night. Then I put them in a zip lock bag labelled for easy access when I want them and it saves you money in the long run as they go bad quickly.

Sliced apples and cinnamon. Tip, if you have any apples starting to soften or going bad use them up. Win win.

These are just a couple that I make to switch up my water. Love it on hot summer days!
    Hope this helps!
  • melinda200208
    melinda200208 Posts: 525 Member
    I either add lemon to my water. Or I buy the water flavors which help me tremendously with drinking my water
  • markja
    markja Posts: 270 Member
    I keep a 32oz cup on my desk. I fill it in the morning and drink it before lunch. Then I fill it again and drink it before I go home.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Drink more water. This is the ultimate first world problem, with the easiest solution.
  • eritchot
    eritchot Posts: 4
    Hi
    I know water can be really boring but i put sliced cucumbers in mine or fresh fruit slices, like Raspberries
    It make the water look pretty to drink....:laugh: .
  • DebraYvonne
    DebraYvonne Posts: 632 Member
    I drink the sparking water for a while and it is good. I especially like peach.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    I found I drink more when I use a straw. I can't explain it. :ohwell: