toughmudder has anyone done one?

Options
Has anybody completed Tough Mudder event? if so can you tell me your thoughts on it and how you trained for it.

Replies

• pander101
    pander101 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I did my first one last year, it was fantastic! I recommend LOTS of running and working up upper body strength. I noticed those were the two things lacking when I was doing it last year. Also, having a team helps tremendously, but everyone there is really a team player and will help you if you need it.

The TM website also had good info on how to train for each specific event and includes a training schedule if you choose to use it.

http://toughmudder.com/training-prep/
  • Blue801
    Blue801 Posts: 442
    Options
    In!
    No, no I have not.
    But I will.
    :wink:
  • Scarbo1964
    Options
    Signed up for 1st Spartan run coming here in May. I know I need to train like a madman.
  • LishLash79
    LishLash79 Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Doing my first in 6 weeks. I run 2-3 days a week (don't love running) and I lift heavy 6 days a week (3 day rotation).. im not too worried. I hear the boot camp video you can watch from the website is helpful? i may give it a try soon.

when are you running it? and where?
  • patrickblo13
    patrickblo13 Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    I my first one last year! I loved it and doing another one this summer. Don't under estimate the distance and work on running.
  • CharRicho
    CharRicho Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Did my first one in June last year.

SUPER fun and I highly recommend it! I thought it would be harder than it was, actually, although the hills were hard (so do some hill training). Other than that, just cardio and strength training. You can't really train for the specific challenges, but you can generally get yourself into good shape and you'll be ok. If you're going for a good time, then get yourself into GREAT shape, especially cardio wise, because it is long. There are lots of chances to catch your breath while you're waiting for your turn on an obstacle, but if you want to do it in a good time, you'll need to be able to run at a good pace in the "in between" sections.

If you don't care about time, and just want to finish, honestly I think that anyone who is in good shape could get through it, just taking longer.
  • leefox79
    leefox79 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Did my first one last year, you definitely want to make sure your conditioning is up to par and also need good upper body strength. I made the mistake of not worrying about the 10 miles as I had already completed 3 half marathons and was training for my full. What I didn't expect was that the 10 miles would be hiking up and down a mountain (Mt. Snow in Vermont) for 10 miles. Needles to say my hiking teammates had a much easier time at this than I did.
  • loubidy
    loubidy Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Hoping to work towards it next year, however I am TERRIFIED of the electric bit, how bad is it?
  • beduffbrickie
    beduffbrickie Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    thanks guys for the replies, very nice to read, I am debating whether to join a team that is doing the midlands one in the UK in July this year. I was just trying to grasp if I need to doing any other training above and beyond what I already do, but it sounds like along as your in good shape and train already you should be ok.
  • rlxsn
    rlxsn Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I've done 3.. Like others have said, put time into hill training. There were marathoners and triathletes dropping all over the course cause they weren't ready for the climbs. Up and down over and over again takes a toll. The obstacles aren't that bad at all. Arctic Enema is one to be mentally prepared for but the others are just fun. Good Luck!
  • Emmabulliemum
    Emmabulliemum Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Signed up for my first one this august in Yorkshire feelings are ranging from absolute fear to excitement. Going as part of a team but dreading the running part however
  • Bexiblueberry
    Bexiblueberry Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I haven't done one, but I worked on one last year. It looked BRUTAL. and also AMAZING. I'd love to do one, such a big achievement
  • Angila
    Angila Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I did one last year with some friends and it was so much fun but my whole body hurt for days. Doubt I'll do it again because I was hurting not because of out of shape but the course is really hard on your body. One woman broke her leg!