Really need help from others to beat binging!

Options
So I finally managed to lose quite a lot of weight and reach a size 10, but more importantly felt happy and confident with my body for the first time ever. Every so often I would have a cheat day but not go too overboard.
But then I started to binge ( until I couldn't eat anymore). They gradually got worse consisting of thousands of calories in one sitting ( I mean literally around 3000-8000). At first this would only happen around once a month but in the last month they have become a weekly ordeal. worst of all the last two have been a full 3 day binge! I can't seem to go even a week without relapsing.
Over the weekend I binged and promised that today I would start over....however all day at college I craved sugar and fat and on the way home I went to several shops and bought a obscene amount of junk food! when I get the urge I just cannot resist and keep eating until I feel sick. I have put on at least 10lbs in this short space of time, my face looks fatter and my jeans feel tighter. I'm really worried people can tell I'm gaining weight and feel self conscious again.
So here I am feeling awfully sick and full crying my eyes out at my lack of self control and greediness hoping that with the support and advice of you guys on here that today will be my last ever binge, and tomorrow I can start afresh!

Replies

• kea9f
    kea9f Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Full disclosure, I've never had it that bad. But I will occasionally sit down and eat a 9 x 13 inch pan of brownies or a whole bag of doritos, especially when I'm tired. My advice (other than getting enough sleep and trying to figure out why you're eating) is to leave when you realize what you're doing. When I feel like I've lost control, I literally walk away. Put the food somewhere you won't be able to see it when you get home and go find something to do during which you cannot eat. Go to the gym or take a walk and leave your wallet at home. If you're still feeling vulnerable when you get back, get distracted watching TV or doing something for which you need your hands. I recently started cross stitching while I watch TV. You have to have clean hands to do it, so every time I eat, I have to wash my hands again. It sounds silly but it really helps. If I can get myself distracted for long enough, the feeling usually passes. Good luck!!!
  • anaisbutterfly7
    anaisbutterfly7 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

So, I have been on a good kick lately with about 90% of my days over the last month being binge free. I always binge when I am bored and lonely. I feel like the area of my body where my heart/breasts are needs to be filled and only food will fill it enough. If I don't eat then I feel empty.

First thing I did was get some amazing prizes/goals. I am moving to Florida in June and going to London for a Pearl Jam concert in July. I want to be as healthy as possible when I go there.

Second, I count the days. It has been 5 days since my last binge. The bigger the number, the less likely I am to binge (because I don't like starting over).

Third, I changed my habits. Instead of grazing on food for hours after dinner, I eat, clean the dishes while having some tea, and sit to watch TV (sans food).

Binging and eating disorders are hard to handle, but I am more than happy to be your friend on this journey. Feel free to add me :)
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Is the binging new behavior, or do you have history of it?

Did you restrict calories a lot to get to your weight? 1200 calorie diet? If you have an unreasonably low calorie goal and restrict food groups as "bad", then the bingeing may just be a reaction to that. If this is the case you might want to adjust your goals.
  • Jessica2014170
    Options
    I have had similar issues in the past and still today, the hardest part is stop and think. As much as you want to eat away whatever you are feeling you need to physically stop the emotion. STOP, SIT, THINK, RESULTS. It is horrible feeling to stop but do it often enough it helps, but will never go away. I had lost 90lb and started to eat/binge again and gained it all back stating I will start tomorrow, it never comes. Nip it now or regret it all trust me!!! Jess
  • stephgetsfit2
    stephgetsfit2 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I can't stress this enough! ALWAYSSSSS carry snacks with you! Keep them in your purse... that way when you get hungry, or you have the urge to get food, you have a healthy snack with you! try Quest bars! They're delicious and give me the sweet kick i need but guilt free! Double chocolate chunk and the new oreo cookie flavors are my favorite!
  • smithed812
    smithed812 Posts: 289
    Options

Did you restrict calories a lot to get to your weight? 1200 calorie diet? If you have an unreasonably low calorie goal and restrict food groups as "bad", then the bingeing may just be a reaction to that. If this is the case you might want to adjust your goals.

I agree... I never struggled with binge eating until I began restricting myself to less than 1200 calories per day. Even though I now eat a LOT more I still struggle with it from time to time, but not nearly as often. So you may want to reevaluate your calorie allowance.

Something I've been trying lately is drinking water whenever I feel the urge to binge. If you drink several glasses sometimes it will give you that same feeling of fullness if you are feeling "empty."
  • auburngirl06
    auburngirl06 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I've struggled with binge eating a lot during the early part of my weight loss journey. You can try and prepare your mind for when it comes, tell yourself what your going to do what you feel it coming on, but when you are actually in the moment with those feelings I found nothing can really stop it. As far as with me, it just has to run its course. With that said, the ONLY thing that worked with me was to increase my daily calories AND stop considering certain foods 'bad'. I was very very strict with myself in the beginning, never allowing a treat. That coupled with an already low calorie goal was my recipe for disaster. It took several months to breakthrough. I honestly can't remember the last time I binged now. A year or more? Now I do over eat sometimes. Everyone does that. But that feeling of losing control and literally stuffing everthing I can find into my mouth? Thankfully it is gone!

Do you have a reasonable calorie target? Do you allow yourself all those foods you usually binge on? Maybe if you start eating small portions of those food your desire to eat them in their entirety will fade.
  • smithed812
    smithed812 Posts: 289
    Options
    Also don't keep your typical binge foods in the house. When I binge it is always on something like cookies, chips, frozen pizza, etc. I never catch myself eating an obscene amount of veggies. If it isn't there, you won't eat it.
  • RatherBeOutside
    RatherBeOutside Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I have no idea what you are going through in the area of binge eating, I do in other types of binging. Pray for strength from God each day all day long till you kick this habit in the rear. Especially first thing when you wake up and last thing when you fall asleep.. call on anyone you know for back-up. get busy helping others, Call your nearest overeaters anonymous. follow the 12 steps, it applies to everything in life along with the serenity prayer.
    There are so many people on here who have been in your shoes.. search them out by topics and etc.. to see if you can friend them.
    Keep writing every single thing you eat.. look at it all the time.. you will slowly stop putting into your mouth.. I like what one person said.. up your calories to 1400 to 1600 so you don't feel deprived.
    you can eat tons of vegies all day long with olive oil and steam them, make salads with them. lettuce is so filling, dark green leafy.
    you obviously are reaching out and are in a good place! I am proud of you!
    take a walk and pray for your neighbors.. I pray you beat this.. God loves you!
  • MyFoodGod
    MyFoodGod Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Check out Overeaters Anonymous. Online meetings, podcasts, or go to a local meeting.
  • MyFoodGod
    Options
    I have had similar issues in the past and still today, the hardest part is stop and think. As much as you want to eat away whatever you are feeling you need to physically stop the emotion. STOP, SIT, THINK, RESULTS. It is horrible feeling to stop but do it often enough it helps, but will never go away. I had lost 90lb and started to eat/binge again and gained it all back stating I will start tomorrow, it never comes. Nip it now or regret it all trust me!!! Jess

Lots of people don't understand how you can you lose a bunch of weight and then put it back on. They think it's as simple as "you have a choice."

Many of us are obsessed with food in our mind. Admitting we need help and that it's not as simple as "choice" is the first step.
  • PositiveAngel
    Options
    Ah hun, I'm going through EXACTLY the same thing, I was just about to put a post up about it.

After illness I put on 4 stone in weight and went from a size 8 to lets say double fingers (it upsets me that much I can't even tell anyone and cut the labels out my clothes!).

I'm really really trying to do well, I'm fine all day and eat a decent meal at night but then I've recently started bingeing at night, a lot too and I just can't handle it. I promised myself last night that I was going to start 'a fresh in the morning' and I've just done it again!

Would appreciate any help, advice or a buddy to get through this who's going through similar problems and has a lot to lose.

My fiancé is getting SO fed up with me keep going on about my weight and my insecurities, I'm just like a totally different girl than the one he met 3 years ago!

Help! x
  • daw0518
    daw0518 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I've only been at this since January & have not yet experienced a real binge, but I would like to second those suggesting keeping foods you're likely to binge on out of the house. I'm a fairly lazy person, so if I have to go anywhere [especially if I have to drive there] to get what I want to eat, there's like an 80% chance I'm not going to do it. I've been craving Pizza Hut garlic parmesan wings every evening for weeks now, but because I'm usually already in my PJ's at home, I don't end up going to get them because I don't want to get dressed & drive somewhere. Sounds simple and maybe it only works for me because I'm such a homebody - but it's worth a try!
  • Zoex953
    Zoex953 Posts: 6
    Options

Hi,
    I've never had this problem before only since I lost the weight. When I first started I pretty much cut out all bad/junk food and only eat healthy food and cut my portion size down. So looking back I probably did restrict too much. But recently I usually eat around 1600 and go the gym 3 or 4 times a week. It's just been the last 3 weeks that it has got really out of control. Also yes I agree 1200 is too low I don't want it to be that I just haven't got round to changing it as I am new to all this.
  • cpeter76
    cpeter76 Posts: 15
    Options
    You MUST read- Diet Rehab by Dr. Mike Dow- It is life changing. It talks about the physical side of why we binge.Everyone says "ask yourself why you are binging. What are you feeling?" There is a definate emotional connection as to why we binge, but even more than that is the chemical reaction that happens in our body when we feel that binge coming on. He "not only explains why we reach for the foods we do but also provides a step-by-step 28 day program that eases dieters off the foods they've come to depend on for emotional support. Sugary snacks like cupcakes can quell anxiety with feel-good serotonin and fatty treats like pizza can give us a boost of depression beating dopamine. But in both cases, the effects are short lived and ultimately leave us feeling worse than before- ad more inclined to reach for the same solace." The foods we binge on create chemicals in our brain that help us fight off anxiety, depression and boredom. This book addresses more than just the psychological reason for binge eating- It explores the science behind it and what happens in our brain and body when we consume fats, carbs and sugars. I guarentee it will shift your perspective on why you are binging.- just look into it and see if it is a book that you could benefit from reading- Good Luck to you! Friend Me if you want extra support and encouragement!
  • deksgrl
    Options

Hi,
    I've never had this problem before only since I lost the weight. When I first started I pretty much cut out all bad/junk food and only eat healthy food and cut my portion size down. So looking back I probably did restrict too much. But recently I usually eat around 1600 and go the gym 3 or 4 times a week. It's just been the last 3 weeks that it has got really out of control. Also yes I agree 1200 is too low I don't want it to be that I just haven't got round to changing it as I am new to all this.

Try fitting some snacks into your 1600 calories. Once you retrain yourself not to think of some foods as "bad", then I bet you will get control again.
  • naomijones101
    naomijones101 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have really struggled with this too. I lost 1.5st about 18 months ago through sensible eating and exercise after becoming single. I got in a new relationship and managed to keep the weight off for quite a while but started to binge now and again but since Christmas it's been nearly all the time. Only two weeks ago I was overeating every night and felt terrible about myself and in general. I did swap some of the foods to healthier alternatives in my cupboard but then I would just binge on those too. I have tried all sorts and read lots of different things to try and sort myself out but nothing worked and then I had a terrible binge a couple of weekends ago when it went really over the top. I felt dreadful and somehow after that I still overate every day but it got a bit better every evening until last week and I seem to have snapped out of it. I don't know how it has happened and I dread falling back into the old pattern. I keep reminding myself that with eating right I have more energy, feel better and happier and have more self esteem. I no longer have the urge to lock myself away for the evening so I can eat all I can & that has had a positive effect on my relationship, sense of wellbeing and even quality of sleep. I am holding onto all the positive feelings that come with good clean wholesome foods and exercise. Being good and kind to your body really does help but it's so hard to get there, it's like a switch that just turns. So now I am fighting to get rid of the excess weight I gained while binging and even though I am disappointed in myself for getting to this stage I am determined to focus on the gain at the end. It's nice to know that I am not the only one that struggles with this.
  • MyFoodGod
    Options
    You MUST read- Diet Rehab by Dr. Mike Dow- It is life changing. It talks about the physical side of why we binge.Everyone says "ask yourself why you are binging. What are you feeling?" There is a definate emotional connection as to why we binge, but even more than that is the chemical reaction that happens in our body when we feel that binge coming on. He "not only explains why we reach for the foods we do but also provides a step-by-step 28 day program that eases dieters off the foods they've come to depend on for emotional support. Sugary snacks like cupcakes can quell anxiety with feel-good serotonin and fatty treats like pizza can give us a boost of depression beating dopamine. But in both cases, the effects are short lived and ultimately leave us feeling worse than before- ad more inclined to reach for the same solace." The foods we binge on create chemicals in our brain that help us fight off anxiety, depression and boredom. This book addresses more than just the psychological reason for binge eating- It explores the science behind it and what happens in our brain and body when we consume fats, carbs and sugars. I guarentee it will shift your perspective on why you are binging.- just look into it and see if it is a book that you could benefit from reading- Good Luck to you! Friend Me if you want extra support and encouragement!

Sounds interesting. I'll have to check it out.
  • MyFoodGod
    Options

Hi,

Try fitting some snacks into your 1600 calories. Once you retrain yourself not to think of some foods as "bad", then I bet you will get control again.

Some foods are bad for some people. Many people find they are addicted to sugar - just like alcoholics are addicted to alcohol. When your mind is constantly thinking about food, "training" it to think differently doesn't really cut it.

One bite of sugar for some people and it's off to the races - like a drug addition, etc.

Yes, some people can make different choices. Others, it's a much tougher situation.
  • deksgrl
    Options

Hi,

Some foods are bad for some people. Many people find they are addicted to sugar - just like alcoholics are addicted to alcohol. When your mind is constantly thinking about food, "training" it to think differently doesn't really cut it.

One bite of sugar for some people and it's off to the races - like a drug addition, etc.

Yes, some people can make different choices. Others, it's a much tougher situation.

A lot of people overcome it.