Marathon runners?

Options
Hi All,
I was just wondering if there are any marathon runners out there? Or anyone training for a marathon? I'm running more and more and love it. I think it would be a neat goal and I would love to talk with someone about how they schedule there runs, diet, etc. Any help would be appreciated!

Replies

• Sharonbed4d
    Options
    I've ran 2 full marathons and 8 half marathons. Running can be really addicting!
  • stewster123
    Options
    I agree, it is addicting! I'm managing it quite well so far. I am a busy college student so it is definitely my main stress reliever! Would you mind if I asked you some questions? I really want to know how to get started! I really started running consistently last spring and have come a long way.
  • coronalime
    coronalime Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    I am up to 5 fulls and too many 1/2's to count. Just finished Chicago. I am now addicted to Triathlons. What do you want to know?
  • stewster123
    Options
    My main question is how much should I run and how often? I started this spring and since about August I run 6 days a week, anywhere from 4-12 miles, usually longer runs these day. I do not do much for strength training, mainly just running, a lot of stretching and a little yoga. I guess I would really like to know a marathon runner's schedule and how to get started. A half-marathon sounds like a good goal to shoot for first.
  • Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    I'm not much of a runner. Last year I was training hard for a 5K but ended up having to stop due to working 3 jobs @ the time... I ran with a true professional of the running sport. She told me the night before a marathon or any long run to fill up on carbs such as spaghetti (and take that day off from running). And to get plenty of sleep the night before. The day of the big run she said she always ate whole wheat toast with pb and drink a little not a whole lot of water. She's in great shape with 6 pack ladies abs so I would say she knows what she's talkin bout since she's been running for over 10 years. I hope that can be some what of help to you.
  • hessond
    hessond Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    My goal is to run at least a 1/2 next fall, and then before June 2012!
  • stewster123
    Options
    Thanks for the advice :):)
  • stewster123
    Options
    My goal is to run at least a 1/2 next fall, and then before June 2012!

Good luck! I love running, I just want some sort of goal that I can work toward. I feel it would become even more motivating to get out there!
  • ritodcin03
    ritodcin03 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    My sister and I just ran the Philly half marathon in November, and I am running my first full one on January 9th in Disney World. This is my boyfriend's 10th year running the Goofy Challenge (half marathon on Saturday and full marathon on Sunday), so I'm very excited to do this with him. I say go for it! Do you have any running clubs close to you?
  • HIzara
    HIzara Posts: 187
    Options
    I just started and it's such a high!!
  • schobert101
    schobert101 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I have run 8 full marathons and over 30 half marathons in the last 14 years. There is a wealth of information available and unless you have a specific question it will be hard in a forum like this to get the information you need. I would suggest www.runnersworld.com and they have a wealth of training programs, schedules and various forums devoted to running. I'm almost sure they have a beginners forum. Hal Higdon has good training schedules also. You will need to do some research but I would start with the Runners World website and you will find anything you need there.

Good luck and happy running!
  • dlh201
    Options
    I am up to 5 fulls and too many 1/2's to count. Just finished Chicago. I am now addicted to Triathlons. What do you want to know?

What were your thoughts on Chicago? I've heard it's flat but hot.
  • stewster123
    Options
    I have run 8 full marathons and over 30 half marathons in the last 14 years. There is a wealth of information available and unless you have a specific question it will be hard in a forum like this to get the information you need. I would suggest www.runnersworld.com and they have a wealth of training programs, schedules and various forums devoted to running. I'm almost sure they have a beginners forum. Hal Higdon has good training schedules also. You will need to do some research but I would start with the Runners World website and you will find anything you need there.

Good luck and happy running!

Thank you! I will definitely be checking this out! :) Your record is very impressive :)
  • cjusticeg
    cjusticeg Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I just started running as well, and I hope to run a 5k this coming summer.
  • stewster123
    Options
    I just started and it's such a high!!

I know! There is no better feeling of accomplishment then finishing a long run! :)
  • stewster123
    Options
    My sister and I just ran the Philly half marathon in November, and I am running my first full one on January 9th in Disney World. This is my boyfriend's 10th year running the Goofy Challenge (half marathon on Saturday and full marathon on Sunday), so I'm very excited to do this with him. I say go for it! Do you have any running clubs close to you?

I go to a very large university so I think I will do some research! I've sure we have some sort of club. Thanks for the idea!
  • stewster123
    Options
    I just started running as well, and I hope to run a 5k this coming summer.

Good luck! I ran a 5k this fall and it was great!
  • Mollydolly10
    Mollydolly10 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    Agreed with schobert101, I think the best thing to do is educate yourself. Read anything you can about it. I am also shooting for a half marathon (and eventually marathon) after my 10-miler I'm training for in March. But I've already started reading!

Runnersworld.com is awesome, and I even subscribed to the magazine for a discounted price when I signed up for an 8k on active.com - the magazine is PACKED with info. I also really like Hal Higdon's training plans, he has 5k, 10k, 15k/10mile, etc etc! They are great, and he has reading material as well, which talks about how much you should be running and how much rest you should be getting (CRUCIAL!!!!)

I also recently got the Runner's World Complete Book of Women's Running which is great. It starts with basics: goal setting, gear (running shoes), eating, specific plans (5k up to marathon), stretching, etc! I recommend this book if you aren't too up to date on running information and training.
  • stewster123
    Options
    Agreed with schobert101, I think the best thing to do is educate yourself. Read anything you can about it. I am also shooting for a half marathon (and eventually marathon) after my 10-miler I'm training for in March. But I've already started reading!

Runnersworld.com is awesome, and I even subscribed to the magazine for a discounted price when I signed up for an 8k on active.com - the magazine is PACKED with info. I also really like Hal Higdon's training plans, he has 5k, 10k, 15k/10mile, etc etc! They are great, and he has reading material as well, which talks about how much you should be running and how much rest you should be getting (CRUCIAL!!!!)

I also recently got the Runner's World Complete Book of Women's Running which is great. It starts with basics: goal setting, gear (running shoes), eating, specific plans (5k up to marathon), stretching, etc! I recommend this book if you aren't too up to date on running information and training.

I agree, this sounds like the best way to go. Thank you for the info and insight! Good luck with your goals!
  • Mollydolly10
    Mollydolly10 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    Just as a note, 6 days a week MIGHT be a little heavy.. from what I've read it is usually best to not run two back-to-back days in a row (although you can if you want) - in order to prevent injury. (If you do run back-to-back, you are supposed to at least be mixing up the intensity, distance, or tempo. So for example, one day do a quick 3 mile run, 2 days later do a long, slowerpaced 6 mile run)

Also make sure you don't increase your mileage too fast - that also helps prevent injury.

Books I've read on the subject suggest cross-training (swimming, biking, etc) on the inbetween days. You use different muscles, give your running muscles a break, and can come back strong and not burn out/get hurt.

Those are just my two cents :)