mcdonalds big breakfast :(

Options

Replies

• David_AUS
    David_AUS Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    [qualphabetical ]
    How about saying no? She didn't hold you down and force it down your throat. You chose to get it. Just say "no thank you." if you really don't want it. Your an adult right? You can make your own choices.

my family is really unsupportive about my weight loss -- i told her i wanted pancakes with syrup which are more like 500 cals and she just went ahead and ordered it. when i was a kid we didnt have much money so we had to eat everything on our plates and im still struggling not to do that - i hate wasting food more than anything
    [/quote]

I can hear my mums voice there as well. Emalees suggestion of going on with a plan is great idea. Stick to your plan, yes it can be hard to change the mind set it takes some time and patience with yourself - with every day you get better at making choices that support what you truly want.
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with a McDonalds big breakfast.

Big breakfast:
    Cals: 615
    Protein: 28g
    Fat: 36g

Pancakes with syrup:
    Cals: 530
    Protein: 8g
    Fat: 8g

Out of the two, for the sake of an extra 85 calories, I'd have chosen the big breakfast. It's got a decent amount of protein and fat to keep you full. The pancakes are just carbs and sugar - not that there's anything wrong with carbs and sugar, but it's not going to satisfy you for long.

Stop stressing so much about one day and labeling certain food as inherently unhealthy. Don't exercise yourself to death today because you feel guilty - it's not a healthy way to look at exercise. Get a workout in because you enjoy it, drink plenty of water, and enjoy your pizza, just don't go overboard. It's a new day tomorrow.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options

Big breakfast:

Pancakes with syrup:

Out of the two, for the sake of an extra 85 calories, I'd have chosen the big breakfast. It's got a decent amount of protein and fat to keep you full. The pancakes are just carbs and sugar - not that there's anything wrong with carbs and sugar, but it's not going to satisfy you for long.

Stop stressing so much about one day and labeling certain food as inherently unhealthy. Don't exercise yourself to death today because you feel guilty - it's not a healthy way to look at exercise. Get a workout in because you enjoy it, drink plenty of water, and enjoy your pizza, just don't go overboard. It's a new day tomorrow.

+1
  • One_Last_Time
    Options
    How about saying no? She didn't hold you down and force it down your throat. You chose to get it. Just say "no thank you." if you really don't want it. Your an adult right? You can make your own choices.

my family is really unsupportive about my weight loss -- i told her i wanted pancakes with syrup which are more like 500 cals and she just went ahead and ordered it. when i was a kid we didnt have much money so we had to eat everything on our plates and im still struggling not to do that - i hate wasting food more than anything

Well that was rude. Same situation as a kid. My mom would make massive plates of food and we had to eat it all. Can't waste. I agree with everyone else though. Water and exercise. You might feel crappy for a few hours but it will pass.
  • JessyLovesJCS
    JessyLovesJCS Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Some days are like this. I've found losing weight and getting healthier is about learning to make changes, so learn from this...and adjust for next time.

I ditto about the water and exercise. If I eat at McDonald's then I make more effort to move. It can be as simple as not sitting for longer than 15 minutes.
  • sarainiowa
    sarainiowa Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Drink lots of water today.

Find the time to walk and / or workout.

If you're going out to eat with someone, you don't have to eat. Or pick a lesser calorie meal. Example: McDonalds has an Egg White sandwich type thing for breakfast. It's really low calorie.

Tonight for the pizza, stick to a serving size.

People can and do eat fast foods and shed the weight, it's about the choices.

Drink some water and go workout a little.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    Stop stressing over food.

^ This. It's 615 calories so unless you're on some ridiculous VLCD silliness then you aren't even close to going over your daily calories. And salt? Go for a run and drink some water. Problem solved. Dietary fat? You need that.

Exactly. Life happens. Make adjustments and move on.

it's just that it's so much fat and salt and i feel so sick

It's probably in your head.

It's definitely in her head.

OP - serious question. How is your emotional relationship with food?

i guess i used to eat when i was upset/sad/angry which is why i gained the weight, and now when i get sad/upset etc i can't eat to make myself feel better (i used to eat until i was sick, or my stomach hurt at least -- food as a form a self harm maybe?) and now when i eat i feel guilty?? my parents are fat but also very fat-shaming (y cousin is morbidly obese and they always make "who ate all the pies" jokes although they are both overweight) and i worry that they talk about how greedy i am behind my back.

i suppose i find food stressful. eating in front of people, in case they judge me for being fat

The big breakfast did you no harm. Your body needs fats and the sodium, if you're reasonably healthy, will only cause a little water retention which can be solved by drinking water. I know this is very hard to come to terms with when there are so many "words of wisdom" about foods that cause weight gain/loss, but there are no bad foods (save for maybe Crisco and the like, i.e. artificial trans fats), but the point is that your body needs dietary fats and even sodium to survive. The trick is simply staying under your daily calorie goals.

And on that point, what is your daily calorie goal? There is a lot of good information on this site to help guide you and plenty of people here to help. Take a deep breath, let the baggage go, and start working on making you healthy in mind and body.
  • tartansheep
    tartansheep Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    i try to ea around 1500 a day and i eat back my exercise calories but i'm struggling with it ://
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    Stop stressing over food.

^ This. It's 615 calories so unless you're on some ridiculous VLCD silliness then you aren't even close to going over your daily calories. And salt? Go for a run and drink some water. Problem solved. Dietary fat? You need that.

Exactly. Life happens. Make adjustments and move on.

it's just that it's so much fat and salt and i feel so sick

It's probably in your head.

It's definitely in her head.

OP - serious question. How is your emotional relationship with food?

i guess i used to eat when i was upset/sad/angry which is why i gained the weight, and now when i get sad/upset etc i can't eat to make myself feel better (i used to eat until i was sick, or my stomach hurt at least -- food as a form a self harm maybe?) and now when i eat i feel guilty?? my parents are fat but also very fat-shaming (y cousin is morbidly obese and they always make "who ate all the pies" jokes although they are both overweight) and i worry that they talk about how greedy i am behind my back.

i suppose i find food stressful. eating in front of people, in case they judge me for being fat

That is one of the mind things that is the hardest to overcome. But if you think about it, you used food for emotional reasons and now you're letting food make you feel guilty. Different, but still harmful.

Work through this. Listen to the people on MFP. Most know what they are talking about - because we have been there. It has taken me over a year to get my head in the right place about food. It can be done. Stop and think through what you are feeling - it's hard to do - but will be necessary if you want to make it to the next phase where you don't let food have all the control anymore.

Living with a family that has many issues like you have mentioned, will add another layer of "hard' to the process. Figure out what works for you and learn to stand up for yourself. It's always your choice. It's your plan - sink or swim - it will all come down to you.
  • SunofaBeach14
    Options
    i try to ea around 1500 a day and i eat back my exercise calories but i'm struggling with it ://

Okay, how much are you trying to lose a week?

You're struggling to stay under calories? Are you eating plenty of vegetables and lean protein?
  • tartansheep
    tartansheep Posts: 122 Member
    Options

You're struggling to stay under calories? Are you eating plenty of vegetables and lean protein?

trying to lose a pound a week (i've lost nearly 20lb which is good but it's so so so slow) bc when my friend lost weight sheended up being really hungry from eating like 1200 a day so yeah

i guess not? i tend to have ready meals or crisps which adds up to the right number of calories?
  • shellydd
    shellydd Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    weight loss frustrates me so much. no one puts the food in our mouths....we are responsible for what we do. now go work it off or adjust accordingly. I personally have gone up and down the scale so many times, its frustrating. I am now a whopping 50 pounds over what I weighed 9 MONTHS PREGNANT with my youngest son. I try to keep that in mind when I'm shoving the food in. it's hard but it will pay off. I just want to be able to walk well when I'm 50......sounds simple for some but not me. stop beating yourself up. EXERCISE AND DRINK WATER
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options

Big breakfast:

Pancakes with syrup:

+1

+2

She gave you the more nutritionally sound option. You should thank her.
  • pyrowill
    pyrowill Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    Is there anything stopping you from having a small Pizza at Dominos? Or having the lowest calorie one there.
  • SunofaBeach14
    Options

trying to lose a pound a week (i've lost nearly 20lb which is good but it's so so so slow) bc when my friend lost weight sheended up being really hungry from eating like 1200 a day so yeah

i guess not? i tend to have ready meals or crisps which adds up to the right number of calories?

You are hitting your calorie goals then, which is good, but you're still hungry. Vegetables are not only a great source of vitamins and fiber, but they also help fill you up. Try to start each meal with a couple of servings of vegetables. That's certainly not a requirement but it can help. I do the same with lean protein when I'm having trouble hitting my protein goals. If you need snacks try vegetables, chicken breast or plain Greek yogurt. Crisps and the like are fine but they should be no more than a daily treat after you've already hit your nutritional needs.

Please read this. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

There are some other great pieces of advice on here, but this is probably the best place to start.
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options

That will be why you are struggling to keep within your calories.

I got the impression from your OP that the biggest worry for you was the number of calories - but you have to also weigh up the fact that for an extra 85 cals, the big breakfast was actually a better choice nutritionally than the pancakes. Fats and protein keep you fuller for longer, so try and eat more of them. Also, if you are worried about sodium, have you ever seen how much salt is in a ready meal?

Lean meats, fish, eggs, nuts, greek yogurt, cheese, avocados, are all foods that are high in protein and/or fat. Try and fit more of them into your diet and you may find it easier to stick to your calorie goals. Also, drink plenty of water.

And it may be a slow loss, but take pride in the fact that you are doing this the healthy way.
  • Sophie_UK
    Sophie_UK Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Don't stress about the breakfast this morning. In order to diet successfully you need to take control of social situations involving food. So you need to be firm with your family and friends; its your decision what you put in your body. I know its tough, I have just been through the same thing, but once you have stood your ground a few times it becomes much easier, for you and them.

If you feel guilty about wasting food then don't waste it -prepare your own meals. Makes tracking calories much easier.

I've just done 8 weeks of strict dieting and my family have tried to sabotage me with many takeaways, croissants, chocolate, you name it they've tried it! Once they realised I meant business and I was sticking to my diet (this time) they stopped pestering me.

You can do it :o)
  • Sophie_UK
    Sophie_UK Posts: 31 Member
    Options

That will be why you are struggling to keep within your calories.

I got the impression from your OP that the biggest worry for you was the number of calories - but you have to also weigh up the fact that for an extra 85 cals, the big breakfast was actually a better choice nutritionally than the pancakes. Fats and protein keep you fuller for longer, so try and eat more of them. Also, if you are worried about sodium, have you ever seen how much salt is in a ready meal?

Lean meats, fish, eggs, nuts, greek yogurt, cheese, avocados, are all foods that are high in protein and/or fat. Try and fit more of them into your diet and you may find it easier to stick to your calorie goals. Also, drink plenty of water.

And it may be a slow loss, but take pride in the fact that you are doing this the healthy way.

+1
  • Of_Monsters_and_Meat
    Of_Monsters_and_Meat Posts: 1,022 Member
    Options
    my sister is home from uni and insisted on buying me a mcdonalds big breakfast this morning - 615 calories! it had half the fat and salt of a normal person not dieting in it!
    i feel so thirsty and awful and when i finished it i felt really sick but i wasn't sick

i feel so guilty! the day is already ruined and because it's two for tuesday my mum wants to get pizza tonight from Dominos and i really do not want to eat it. i feel so run down yeugh i guess i had gotten used to eating healthily?

does anyone have any ideas :(

You are stuck in the mentality that you are on a diet, and can't exist as a normal person.

Food is food, there is no special diet food or normal food to eat.
    I'd rather some pancakes with syrup as opposed to a McDonalds thing too.
    You know what else, I'd rather some real NY style pizza as opposed to Dominos. You mum is buying it. so eat it in a responsible portion and learn for to deal wit food in your life.

You know what this whole thread makes me want. A pancake and pizza buffet.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    A big Breakfast is only 615 calories???