Is BYOB acceptable?

Options
13»

Replies

• Squamation
    Squamation Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Make it a game : Bring your favorite alcoholic drink to share with the birthday Boy.

Except for a formal occasion like a wedding or something I think BYOB is fine.
  • Oscarinmiami
    Oscarinmiami Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I always provide the food and tell my friends bring what you want to drink....they are fine with it.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    In the UK it's generally accepted that the host provides food and mixers, the guests bring booze (and food if they want to, but it's not generally necessary...)

Of course, the hosts also have booze to contribute usually, if you do this regularly - that's how you get rid of the last lot of booze that was left after the last party!
    This - frankly a lot of BBQs etc I've been to it's been a case of bringing your own food too, especially when there's a lot of people.

Getting a Keg does make sense if you can afford it - then you can make it clear there is ONE keg and thus people will have to bring anything else they want.

Is there a designated driver and a shop that sells booze late not too far away so someone could be sent out on a booze run if needed?
  • nicoleisback
    Options
    Rather than saying BYO on the invite, you could say what you are providing. For example, I usually go with something like 'finger foods and soft drinks provided'. It says the same thing but doesn't focus on what you are not giving them.

As for BYO at parties, the only times I expect them to supply alcohol would be at things like weddings. General house parties and birthdays have always been BYO for me.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    Sure is acceptable. We have friends over fairly often and while we always have at bottle or two of whiskey, vodka, rum, gin, tequila and a few bottles of wine on hand, they usually bring a 6 pack or something else to share.

My fiance is also a brewer so our bottom shelf of the fridge is pretty much always beer. :laugh:
  • OllyReeves
    OllyReeves Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I don't see why not. It's also a good idea so they can't blame you for over serving them and them getting drunk. Make sure to let them know if they look too drunk and don't have a driver they lose their keys til morning.

Why would you even want to get involved in that? People are responsible for themselves.

And how do you decide who 'looks' drunk? I am aware of the law, and if someone told me that they thought I 'looked' drunk and tried to take my keys off me, I would tell them where to get off.....
  • cassylee
    cassylee Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am from Australia and it is very common to say byo drinks and then they can choose which type of drinks they want to bring. Our friends have such a wide taste in drinks and alcohol, that we could easily spend $500 getting every drink known to man. So we all happily accept to byo drinks. A lot of restaurants (especially in Brisbane) are now BYO as well.

So if you are worried about looking cheap. Just say you are having an Aussie party where every one BYO drinks. :drinker:
  • sheepysaccount
    sheepysaccount Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I loooove BYOB, usually you can swap with someone else and be able to try some that you'd never buy because you have no idea if you'd like it :) That being said, the keg is a great idea because it shows you care but aren't really sure what people would like.
  • Go_Mizzou99
    Go_Mizzou99 Posts: 2,628 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't mind, others may find it tacky. Perhaps get a pony keg and tell people they can bring what they want outside of that?

^^^this^^^
  • sillyvalentine
    sillyvalentine Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    In the UK it's generally accepted that the host provides food and mixers, the guests bring booze (and food if they want to, but it's not generally necessary...)

Of course, the hosts also have booze to contribute usually, if you do this regularly - that's how you get rid of the last lot of booze that was left after the last party!
    This - frankly a lot of BBQs etc I've been to it's been a case of bringing your own food too, especially when there's a lot of people.

Getting a Keg does make sense if you can afford it - then you can make it clear there is ONE keg and thus people will have to bring anything else they want.

Is there a designated driver and a shop that sells booze late not too far away so someone could be sent out on a booze run if needed?

There is a liquor store in town that is open until 12 but it's twice the price of the city.
  • sillyvalentine
    sillyvalentine Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I don't see why not. It's also a good idea so they can't blame you for over serving them and them getting drunk. Make sure to let them know if they look too drunk and don't have a driver they lose their keys til morning.

Why would you even want to get involved in that? People are responsible for themselves.

And how do you decide who 'looks' drunk? I am aware of the law, and if someone told me that they thought I 'looked' drunk and tried to take my keys off me, I would tell them where to get off.....

I agree. I am not buying, I am not serving. I am not responsible for them or their actions. I would offer them a place to sleep but that's all.
  • rambabean
    rambabean Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    If I have a party I make sure I clearly state "please BOYB" because there's always someone who wouldn't think to otherwise, and friends have had drama from saying "well we have SOME drinks and mixers" and people then taking the p***. If someone is offended then they're going to be missing out on a good time!

For ref I'm early twenties and my/ my friends parties are at our parents homes still :)