Looking for new sandwich ideas

Mygsds
Mygsds Posts: 1,564 Member
Hello, take my lunch and sooooo sick of the same rotation for sandwiches. Tuna salad, egg salad ham salad. I have tried salads for lunch but just don't stay with me... Hungry early in the afternoon. I have a very physical job. (Raising and training German shepherds for SAR ). Any ideas would be so appreciated.

Replies

• Pipsg1rl
    Pipsg1rl Posts: 1,414 Member
    One of my favorites from the Clean Eating Diet by Tosca Reno that I change is:

-your bread-
    peanut butter (I prefer almond)
    sliced apples

I also like to add a drizzle of honey.

you can substitute the apples with strawberries or bananas, but the apples won't make your sandwich soggy by lunch.

I recommend a sweet apple since the saltiness of the nut butter really makes this a deliciousness delight.

Want to make it crazy? Substitue Nutella for the nut butter. No need for a honey drizzle.
  • Bella0531
    Bella0531 Posts: 309 Member
    You listed all salads. Are you opposed to deli meat? If not, there are tons of choices! Take turkey for example, you can get it peppered, honey, salsalito, pastrami seasoned, lemon pepper...etc...

Try mixing meats too - my husband does this all the time. Turkey with pepperoni = YUM!

You can experiment with your toppings too. It doesn't always have to be lettuce and tomato. Pile on some cucumber, green pepper, onion, olives, dressings, sauces, avocado...etc...to find a combination you like.
  • williamshl10
    williamshl10 Posts: 60 Member
    pulled pork lettuce wraps sound good to me right now :)
  • taniabeth78
    taniabeth78 Posts: 20 Member
    I just had a chicken (I keep precooked chicken breast in my fridge all the time) and light cheddar on saralee 45 calorie bread. Mine was made on toast, then i put a tbsp of light margarine and garlic powder on the inside of the bread and nuked it for 30 seconds. But this would be equally yummy not toasted.

you said salad doesnt "stay with you"....have you tried precooked chicken and some light cheese in it for some protein? or edamame?
  • dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    flatout light Italian wrap, extra lean sweet ham, lettuce, tomato, Hungarian wax pepper, and an ever so slight drizzle of Pecorino dressing.

I also keep a stash of luna protein or larabar alt in my desk.
  • sewerchick93
    sewerchick93 Posts: 1,438 Member
    sliced Avocado, tomato slices, onions, mustard/bit of mayo, shredded mozarella/cheddar blend and bean sprouts on homemade bread
  • NualaTW
    NualaTW Posts: 205 Member
    Have you tried making salads with things other than just plain veggies? I make some salads (like a Lentil-Ham Salad w/Dijon Cream Sauce) that combine veggies with lots of fiber and proteins. They are pretty dense and filling.

If you would be interested:

Lentil-Ham Salad w/Dijon Cream Sauce

1 cup dried brown lentils
    10 oz chopped cooked ham
    3/4 cup chopped celery
    3/4 cup chopped red onion
    1/2 cup plain fat-free greek yogurt
    2 TBS dijon mustard
    1 TBS white wine vinegar
    2 TBS fat-free milk
    1/4 tsp dried thyme
    1/4 tsp ground black pepper

Cook lentils for about 20 minutes and drain. Mix ingredients 5-10 and whisk together to make a creamy dressing. Add lentils, ham and veggies and mix well. Makes 4 servings, 288 cals each. Can be eaten warm or cold.

I usually eat this salad with an apple for lunch, and keeps me full for hours.
  • kickivale
    kickivale Posts: 260 Member
    Whole wheat bread BLAT (bacon lettuce avocado tomato)
    English muffin with deli turkey, swiss, light mayo and some fresh herbs (parsley, cilantro whatever you like)
    low carb bagel with ANYTHING (my fav is roast beef and colby jack cheese with tomato and mayo
    stuffed pita sandwich with veggies, tzatziki, and hummus or chick peas

All have a pretty good protein/fat/carb balance
  • katylil
    katylil Posts: 223 Member
    Have you tried making salads with things other than just plain veggies? I make some salads (like a Lentil-Ham Salad w/Dijon Cream Sauce) that combine veggies with lots of fiber and proteins. They are pretty dense and filling.

If you would be interested:

Lentil-Ham Salad w/Dijon Cream Sauce

1 cup dried brown lentils
    10 oz chopped cooked ham
    3/4 cup chopped celery
    3/4 cup chopped red onion
    1/2 cup plain fat-free greek yogurt
    2 TBS dijon mustard
    1 TBS white wine vinegar
    2 TBS fat-free milk
    1/4 tsp dried thyme
    1/4 tsp ground black pepper

Cook lentils for about 20 minutes and drain. Mix ingredients 5-10 and whisk together to make a creamy dressing. Add lentils, ham and veggies and mix well. Makes 4 servings, 288 cals each. Can be eaten warm or cold.

I usually eat this salad with an apple for lunch, and keeps me full for hours.

This sounds good!

Brown rice salad would also be good I imagine. Or wholewheat couscous with tons of roasted veg and some feta cheese.

Or how about a wrap? Mexican chicken with peppers, shredded pork or beef with mushrooms and greens... Endless possibilities!! :)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Sandwiches typically don't fill me up that much but...

Smoked salmon/boursin cheese (or any garlic and herb spreadable cheese. Or goat cheese)
    Prosciutto with brie and peppers
    Prosciutto with tomatoes and fresh mozzarella
    Any combination of deli meats and cheese with tomato, lettuce, salt and pepper (and light mayo if you like)
  • Mygsds
    Mygsds Posts: 1,564 Member
    Thank You all so much... Sounds Devine.. Will definitely try these. Again, thanks
  • HardcoreP0rk
    HardcoreP0rk Posts: 936 Member
    Try some new condiments, like chili garlic paste, cranberry mustard, etc...
  • HardcoreP0rk
    HardcoreP0rk Posts: 936 Member
    Just a note...you should probably limit deli meat intake to once a week. It's pretty bad for you to have too much.
  • I like smoked turkey.
  • Keliandra
    Keliandra Posts: 170 Member
    Curried shrimp salad, chicken salad, Roast beef and gouda, salmon salad, eggs and bacon egg salad, garbanzo bean & yogurt with olive oil with cucumbers
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Thick cut pork belly, lettuce, tomato, bacon fat mayo, baguette
  • taniabeth78
    taniabeth78 Posts: 20 Member
    yum
  • Butterf1y_Effect
    Butterf1y_Effect Posts: 30 Member
    I like whole wheat pitas with hummus and roasted veggies: portobello, onion, red pepper (easy to make in toaster oven)....add some balsamic and fresh herbs if you like.
  • Hadabetter
    Hadabetter Posts: 942 Member
    Buy large low-carb tortillas and make wrap/burritos, instead of sandwiches. I like chicken breast and black bean, with a little jalapeno in it.
  • JoelleAnn78
    JoelleAnn78 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Just a note...you should probably limit deli meat intake to once a week. It's pretty bad for you to have too much.

Which part of all natural turkey is bad for me?