I have a serious problem, . .

Options

Replies

• SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    Stop mindless eating. Perhaps go outside and go for a walk when you're bored rather than picking up the snacks. Find an active hobby.
  • pyrowill
    pyrowill Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    Punch yourself in the balls every time you eat unnecessarily.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options

i76nj7c.gif
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

i don't think OP has any, as she is female….
  • Samquentin1
    Samquentin1 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Before you take a bite of anything, track it. So, you are gaming, and grab a snack, stop, and put it into your tracker first, then eat it. If you make sure you are tracking before you eat anything, you will break the 'mindless eating' cycle.

good luck.
  • kelleyblas
    kelleyblas Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I had a serious problem with it as well until I gave up Gluten and sugar. Now I only eat when I am hungry and stop when I am full. Processed foods make your body think you need more.
  • kerricus
    kerricus Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Remove all prepared foods from your house. Just don't buy anything that's prepared. If you have to cook, you're less likely to eat aimlessly.

If you buy junk food, it's because you intend to eat it, right? You might tell yourself in the store that you're not going to eat it, but that's a lie. It makes no sense to buy food if you aren't going to eat it. Eliminate all of that stuff from your grocery bill.

Finally, stop making excuses. This is a habit that you're developed. You have the power to change, but there are no short cuts. You have to decide what you want and then go do it. No excuses!
  • Jkn921
    Jkn921 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Is there an emotional attachment to eating? Because from your first post which is the only thing I've read, it comes across as it. Once you identify the main cause of that problem, your eating habits may change. If you're eating because you're bored, take part in something enaging and set yourself goals.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options

i don't think OP has any, as she is female….

Was that a joke, or a genuine error?
  • Supertact
    Supertact Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    Self control.

Eat to calorie limit, if you go over you failed for the day and you don't want to fail.
  • 2013sk
    2013sk Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    Your not alone - I just eat for the sake of it - Half the time I am probably not even hungry!

Try and stock up on healthy snacks I say, Nuts, fruit, veggies etc and graze on them throughout the day.

Or take good filling snacks to work at your desk, grapes, the above etc.

Try drinking water and getting more protein in!
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    When I start to eat mindlessly, I stop and tell myself
    antoine_dodson_you_are_so_dumb-14245.gif
  • in4nomz
    in4nomz Posts: 230
    Options

Hits the nail on the head right there.
  • MamaGraff
    MamaGraff Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    You need to always have cut up vegetables in the fridge. I literally eat between two to 4 cups of veggies each day. That and water will fill you up. Also, get rid of sugar in your diet completely. The first week is the toughest. After that, your body will thank you.
    Its Willpower!
  • Ichasestorms
    Ichasestorms Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Stop buying those things that you snack on. It's helps lots for me! If the crackers and chips and ice cream aren't available then they can't be eaten.

Oh, and I've taken up knitting too! LOL I've almost finished my 2nd scarf! What am I gonna do with all of them if I continue?!

Sell them on etsy! Win win!
  • lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    Read "Diets Don't Work" and "Mindless Eating". The first book deals with a lot of psychological issues for why we eat -- family history, boredom, response to emotions (sadness, anxiety, etc.). I read it years ago but I found it really interesting and helped me show how much of an automatic response I had to certain things. And once I was more aware of them, I could stop them or redirect the impulse elsewhere.

http://www.amazon.com/Diets-Dont-Work-Naturally-Step-By-Step/dp/0942540166

Mindless Eating also deals with psychological issues with eating, but in a different way. More to do with how we eat more than we think we do or what can psychologically trigger eating. For example, the colors red and yellow trigger hunger whereas green and blue suppress it. Ever notice how almost all fast food places are red or/and yellow? McDonald's, Carly's Junior, Jack N Box, Arby's Wendy's, In-N-Out, etc. Not a mere coincidence. The book discusses a whole host of experiments done and it's really, really interesting, especially if you're science-minded at all. Once again, once you see some of these patterns or "tricks", you can start to counteract them and avoid "mindless eating" as much.

http://www.amazon.com/Mindless-Eating-More-Than-Think/dp/0345526880/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1394573628&sr=1-1&keywords=mindless+eating
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    Read "Diets Don't Work" and "Mindless Eating". The first book deals with a lot of psychological issues for why we eat -- family history, boredom, response to emotions (sadness, anxiety, etc.). I read it years ago but I found it really interesting and helped me show how much of an automatic response I had to certain things. And once I was more aware of them, I could stop them or redirect the impulse elsewhere.

http://www.amazon.com/Diets-Dont-Work-Naturally-Step-By-Step/dp/0942540166

Mindless Eating also deals with psychological issues with eating, but in a different way. More to do with how we eat more than we think we do or what can psychologically trigger eating. For example, the colors red and yellow trigger hunger whereas green and blue suppress it. Ever notice how almost all fast food places are red or/and yellow? McDonald's, Carly's Junior, Jack N Box, Arby's Wendy's, In-N-Out, etc. Not a mere coincidence. The book discusses a whole host of experiments done and it's really, really interesting, especially if you're science-minded at all. Once again, once you see some of these patterns or "tricks", you can start to counteract them and avoid "mindless eating" as much.

http://www.amazon.com/Mindless-Eating-More-Than-Think/dp/0345526880/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1394573628&sr=1-1&keywords=mindless+eating

Seconded for Mindless Eating. A most excellent book and it contains some useful strategies. The one I like best: the more "barriers" that are in place, even small ones, the less people tend to eat. Put the food up high, enclose it in a second bag, store it in the basement instead of the cupboard, measure it out in portions, make it so someone has to get it for you, etc.
  • _Resolve_
    _Resolve_ Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    willpower.
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options

I need that guy in my mirror.
  • NYactor1
    NYactor1 Posts: 9,642 Member