• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    1200/day embrace hunger :smile:
    No, that's not the correct answer.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    First.. TDEE is what you would consume to maintain weight.
    I've put your numbers into Scooby's calculator at 1-3 hours of light exercise and this is what I was given:

TDEE - 2065
    -15% - 1755
    BMR - 1502

Even if you use the little exercise option, the numbers are still higher than what you are consuming.

TDEE- 1802
    -15% - 1532
    BMR - 1502

20% is a harsh deficit for only having 10lbs to lose. I think even 15% would be a little much.

10% at sedentary would give you 1622 calories.

Try bumping it up to 1600 for 4-6 weeks. Exercise as usual, just don't worry about the calorie burns from it. The way that you use the TDEE method is that you calculate your exercise into the equation already.

But seriously, give it 4-6 weeks before deciding it is or isn't working. It takes a little bit to adjust.

And of course, the usuals. Weigh (with a food scale) and measure EVERYTHING. Drink enough water to keep you hydrated - I don't put a number on the amount because it's up to the drinker :drinker:

And slow progress is still progress!!
    YES!
  • Kari121869
    Kari121869 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Thanks again all - I'm definitely going to keep a close eye on my 'portions' in relations to what the 'food packaging' says, etc.
    God - makes it hard to figure out when you're hoping you can depend on their nutritional info to eat half decently on a tight budget/timeline...
    All in all - bumped my cals to 1600/day - going to put more weights into my workouts, intensify my cardio sessions and see if that helps...
  • lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    The two things I'd recommend doing to break through a plateau are:

(1) SPRINT workouts once or twice a week (seriously, can be done in 20 minutes or less)
    (2) lifting heavy (3x5, stronglifts, etc.)

If lifting heavy is a little too intimidating at first, throw in the sprint work outs (especially if up a hill). They're amazing!

Here's some good info on them, even if it is rather wordy: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/par46.htm
  • raylo1313
    raylo1313 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Simple fix is to back off on your cheeses of any type/bread/deli intake. Too much sodium = water weight. Try it for a week and see if you find a difference. I am on low carb diet and hit a plateau also. One of the things they say to do to break it is to not eat cheeses. It's kiling me because I love cheese, but I don't love the plateau. Good luck!
  • Kari121869
    Options
    Simple fix is to back off on your cheeses of any type/bread/deli intake. Too much sodium = water weight. Try it for a week and see if you find a difference. I am on low carb diet and hit a plateau also. One of the things they say to do to break it is to not eat cheeses. It's kiling me because I love cheese, but I don't love the plateau. Good luck!

Actually the only cheese I eat is one slice of fat free black diamon cheese slice on my toast in the morning; and sometimes 1/2 tsp of cream cheese either on my sandwich or a tbsp with celery... I'm not allowed to eat alot of dairy so no milk (drink almond milk), etc... I do have light ice cream time to time.. when I really have a sweet tooth..
    As for bread - one slice for breakie and one for lunch isn't much I don't think...
    You're right on the deli meat though... I'm going to stop that next week... any other choices for that that you suggest?
  • RaeLB
    RaeLB Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Do you take measurements of your body? It's a much better measure of progress than the scale
  • knitapeace
    knitapeace Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    Increased use of the digital food scale has helped me break through a 2 month yo-yo between the same 3 pounds. I'm now back on track losing a steady half pound a week, which is exactly what I want. No more "that looks like a medium sized apple" or "surely that's not more than a tablespoon of peanut butter"... Increasing the amount of strength training I do helped as well.
  • TonyStark30
    TonyStark30 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Funny thing is the 'troll answer' is the one thing that would definitely work.
  • lrmall01
    lrmall01 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Eat more, lift weights, fight sarcopenia!
  • Kari121869
    Options
    Increased use of the digital food scale has helped me break through a 2 month yo-yo between the same 3 pounds. I'm now back on track losing a steady half pound a week, which is exactly what I want. No more "that looks like a medium sized apple" or "surely that's not more than a tablespoon of peanut butter"... Increasing the amount of strength training I do helped as well.

I'm definitely going to pick one of these up this week... that could be a big part of what my issue is...
  • Kari121869
    Options
    Do you take measurements of your body? It's a much better measure of progress than the scale

No - but that's on my list with the food scale.. :happy:
    I HAVE seen a big difference in my body - so that's what's helped keep me 'on the wagon'... lol
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Lol plateaus are simply the body adapting.
    The adaptation curve takes apps 3 weeks for most people.
    That said, you should cycle calories and program training according to this curve.

The body will first adapt to energy in.
    Then it will adapt to reps and weights used in training.
    So if you continually train wight he same program like 5x5 or starting strength etc...you'll want to vary your rep ranges from week to week with 1 week off from the program every 4th or 5th.
    With caloric intake, start on the lower end when working with lower weights, and as you work up in weight you'll raise caloric intake to meet the needs.
    try and stick with a deficit between 5-20% below TDEE and every 4th-5th week at full TDEE to fight adaptation.

Hope that helps.

PM if interested in programming or caloric intake.
    Maybe I can help.

This is a load of crap actually.

I have eaten on average 1700 calories everyday for almost a year. I have been lifting for 6months doing the exact same routine for the entire 6months....I have yet to hit a "plateau"..please.

It may "look" like good info but it's not...plateaus happen when you are overesitmating calories burned and/or underestimating calories in...it's called not being accurate with logging or not being honest with yourself.

Outliers.

For the vast majority this applies.
    Congrats on the genetics though.

On periodization in training.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3438871/

Homeostasis: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/homeostasis

I've broken many plateaus using my methods BTW.
    But congrats on your success!
  • RaeLB
    RaeLB Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options

No - but that's on my list with the food scale.. :happy:
    I HAVE seen a big difference in my body - so that's what's helped keep me 'on the wagon'... lol

If you're seeing a big difference in your body then don't worry about the number on the scale! So many people get fixated on a number but losing body fat and losing weight are not the same thing. If you're losing body fat and gaining muscle then you may not see a significant change on the scale. If that's the case for you then you're on the right track and you don't need to change what you're doing.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    You're probably eating too much, definitely get a digital scale and weigh everything (well, except liquids, but I weigh those too).

I would stick to your 1480 calories for now though. You don't want to eat more until you know for sure what the problem is. I'd say that with your activity, 1600 would probably be a bit too much, especially if you're not weighing your food (I'm 35, 136 lbs, I walk 3 miles every day and lift 3x a week and I'm eating 1600).
  • timrpm
    timrpm Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    The body doesn't adapt to calories but it sure as heck adapts to exercise at a given level. That means the calories burned may be lower than thought. So the guy above is right to say add weights and increase/vary intensity of exercise.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    On the body 'adapting to exercise', I'd note that the more exercise I do and often lose weight at the same time, the less calories my HRM reports that I burn.
    I suspect it's a mixture of lower relative exertion and also lower actual weight - what I SHOULD do of course, is try harder, but sadly I like it being easier!
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    The body doesn't adapt to calories but it sure as heck adapts to exercise at a given level. That means the calories burned may be lower than thought. So the guy above is right to say add weights and increase/vary intensity of exercise.

Homeostasis

By saying the body doesn't adapt to calories flies in the face of your physiology and one of the reasons why you gain fat, muscle etc.
    Basic physiology btw.
  • missdibs1
    missdibs1 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    agreed I have started to enter my recipies and check my entries per label content If you start doing this you wilol notice some entries are incorrect
  • missdibs1
    missdibs1 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options

and the outcome?