mcdonalds big breakfast :(

Options

Replies

• PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    nope didnt miss the point. Sabotage is a horrible feeling. I have had to deal with it a LOT- family, friends, coworkers. They bring in pizza- you are EXPECTED to eat it. It really sucks. And when you do give in, especially if you are not used to those kinds of foods, it can make you really physically sick.

my advice was cheat day. That way nobody feels left out and you get to have things you normally wouldnt eat. The other option is to stick to your guns and say no. Mcdonalds may have the big breakfast (which actually 610 cals isnt that bad for going out to eat), but they also have yummy oatmeal, fruit and yogurt parfaits, and egg white mcmuffins. So next time your sister (or anyone) tries to take you out to eat, tell them you would like to order what you would like or you're not going to eat. Either they will come around or you may have to make some hard decisions. But its your life, and your decisions :)

:huh:

Do you really think that coworkers care so much about you that they even notice what you eat, much less deliberately try sabotage your efforts? Even if they did, which they don't, who cares? Are you going to get fired for not eating the pizza? If someone brings pizza in to work and I don't want it, I don't eat it. If anyone has a problem with that, they can go pound sand...after they seek counseling.
  • headofphat
    headofphat Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    nope didnt miss the point. Sabotage is a horrible feeling. I have had to deal with it a LOT- family, friends, coworkers. They bring in pizza- you are EXPECTED to eat it. It really sucks. And when you do give in, especially if you are not used to those kinds of foods, it can make you really physically sick.

my advice was cheat day. That way nobody feels left out and you get to have things you normally wouldnt eat. The other option is to stick to your guns and say no. Mcdonalds may have the big breakfast (which actually 610 cals isnt that bad for going out to eat), but they also have yummy oatmeal, fruit and yogurt parfaits, and egg white mcmuffins. So next time your sister (or anyone) tries to take you out to eat, tell them you would like to order what you would like or you're not going to eat. Either they will come around or you may have to make some hard decisions. But its your life, and your decisions :)

Do you really think that coworkers care so much about you that they even notice what you eat, much less deliberately try sabotage your efforts? Even if they did, which they don't, who cares? Are you going to get fired for not eating the pizza? If someone brings pizza in to work and I don't want it, I don't eat it. If anyone has a problem with that, they can go pound sand...after they seek counseling.

Listen to Paige. She's one Tough Mudder!

I'm sick of hearing everyone blame others. I'm guessing most people have a weight problem because they didn't have the will power to say "no" when confronted with a poor choice of food. I'm 100% to blame for my weight gain and now i'm 100% taking credit for my weight loss.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Hmm the big breakfast is 740 calories here (1090 if you add pancakes). But I'd have no problem fitting that in my calories (well, without the pancakes)... it's probably pretty filling too... way more than pancakes.

And you could just have eaten the eggs and sausage. Just saying.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options

I'm sick of hearing everyone blame others. I'm guessing most people have a weight problem because they didn't have the will power to say "no" when confronted with a poor choice of food. I'm 100% to blame for my weight gain and now i'm 100% taking credit for my weight loss.

:flowerforyou:
  • headofphat
    headofphat Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options

:flowerforyou:

Thanks for the flowers.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    With that being said, I just had McDonald's breakfast as a tribute to this thread, and it was damn good. :bigsmile:
  • Greytfish
    Greytfish Posts: 810
    Options

Or, you could make a lifestyle change, build new habits, develop some self-esteem, and stop sabotaging yourself by having an unhealthy relationship with other people's opinions - with therapy if necessary.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    With that being said, I just had McDonald's breakfast as a tribute to this thread, and it was damn good. :bigsmile:

Yes now I want some too!
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    does anyone have any ideas :(

Less drama, more personal responsibility.
  • Operation_Shred
    Options
    Stop freaking out about food.

One meal didn't make you fat, and one meal doesn't halt progress.
  • MsEff
    MsEff Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    +2 - especially the piece about the protein! The big breakfast is WAY healthier than pancakes and syrup.
  • easjer
    easjer Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Aw, OP, I want to give you a hug. Look, making big changes to your lifestyle is tough and when you have unsupportive family and emotional relationships with food it is even tougher.

There was a ton of great advice in here about the nutritional value of that breakfast. It was a good thing! You needed that protein. You know what I had for breakfast? A steak, egg and cheese biscuit from McDonald's and a french vanilla latte because I needed some coffee today. Now, I won't eat that everyday. Most days are a smoothie and some kind of quinoa dish or spinach pancakes. But I knew I needed a protein boost today, and that give me 30g of protein. I also like to get an egg and cheese biscuit on occasion. For whatever reason, the McD near work does really lovely biscuits, so when I have a carby craving, that's a nice way to go. Having had that for breakfast, I now eat more carefully the rest of the day. I also know what I'm having for dinner, and it's about 500 calories per serving, without sides (though our sides are all low cal/low carb veggies so I'm not sweating it). It means that I'm not eating a chocolate bar today, and I'm not going to have an afternoon snack, but it is workable within my calories for the day, as your breakfast is - if you focus on making it work, that is.

Now, I'm going to tell you this - I have had a long-standing relationship with food and real problems with it. So I know where you are coming from. But the only thing that has helped me lose nearly 40 lbs in the last few months is realizing that no one else can affect what I choose to eat. I'm not saying you are making excuses or aren't in a tough spot with little support, because those things are true and real. But I am saying that to move past that to successful weight loss, I had to be the one who changed the way I thought about food and approached food. Food is food. Some of it is really yummy and I like to eat it. Sometimes I do, and I can't feel guilty for that, because I honestly do not want to live the rest of my life without blue cheese or chocolate. But I'm the only one who can change my habits. I'm the only one who can say 'yes' or 'no' to food. No one else is going to put food in my mouth, force me to chew and swallow. No one else is going to make me guilty or angry at myself for my choices to eat. When I took that responsibility (which I did by doing a Whole30, which is a super restricted list of approved foods - though all you can eat of those), it changed my entire approach to food. It was hard to tell people I had to pass on certain things. It sucked to be the only person at the staff gathering who was drinking water and not eating birthday cake, or bringing a salad to the special catered lunch. But I also realized quickly that no one else cared. I was lucky to have my family's support in making shared dishes compliant to my diet, but I also had to learn to pass for myself on things that didn't fit within my plan. Just because my mom made or bought X doesn't mean I have to eat it. It took me literally 17 years of 'dieting' and trying to lose weight to figure that out and implement it within my life.

It's not an overnight thing, but it is something you have to make a conscious decision about. Are there reasons to avoid McD? Yes. Is it going to eff up everything forever? Only if you allow it to. Hang in there, man.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    my family is really unsupportive about my weight loss -- i told her i wanted pancakes with syrup which are more like 500 cals and she just went ahead and ordered it. when i was a kid we didnt have much money so we had to eat everything on our plates and im still struggling not to do that - i hate wasting food more than anything

so you ate ~115cals more than you had planned on?
    this is certainly not something to stress over.

if you didn't want to eat, then you shouldn't have.
    your stance on wasting food, while commendable, may not contribute to your success.
    you have to pick your battles.
  • Soccermavrick
    Soccermavrick Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Ok, I feel sorry for you, but the reality is we have to take responsibility for our actions and our decisions. (That may sound harsh, but when it is your decisions that you are looking at, you have the power to change.) With that sad the feeling sick is your body telling you something. But one meal, just like one bad day does not break or defeat us, it is how we bounce back.

I realize that support would make it easier, but you have to make sure that they realize just HOW important this is for you. Will that make it magically better? No. But at least then they might be as offended if you leave food on your plate, or scrap what you did not want off onto your sister's plate. (Not that you are trying to wreck her diet, but....)
  • missdibs1
    missdibs1 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I was looking at an article yesterday and a big breakfast has 1050 calories not 650
  • mamaleftwich
    mamaleftwich Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    One meal will not hurt. We all fall off of the wagon, but the trick is to make sure you get back on! Have the pizza and start again tomorrow. It's another day. As far as people ordering things for you, just ask politely if I can place my order myself please! It's going to be o.k....don't beat yourself up.
  • missdibs1
    missdibs1 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Agreed I just got over a vacation food baby myself Dont feel bad for enjoying food.
  • DirrtyH
    DirrtyH Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Don't let other people control you. You choose what you eat.
    You ate the breakfast - okay, whatever. You still get to choose what you eat the rest of the day. If you want pizza, have it. Go nuts and start again tomorrow. One day of excess calories isn't going to ruin anything.

If you don't want the pizza, then DON"T EAT IT. Tell your mom you don't want it. You are in control of your own self.
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    I would have called the police! ...Did you?
  • theocine
    theocine Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    According to McDonald's US website the regular Big Breakfast is 740 calories, 28g protein, 48g fat and 51g carbs. with 1560mg salt [ouch]. (http://www.mcdonalds.com/us/en/food/product_nutrition.breakfast.279.big-breakfast-regular-size-biscuit.html). But also if you remove just the biscuit ("Hey sis, thank you for buying me breakfast. Would you like my biscuit?") it become a mere 480 cal, 23g protein 36g fat and 17g carbs, with 820mg salt.

OK, offering her the biscuit would be sabotaging back. But perhaps a quick ''Hold the biscuit".

Now that sounds workable, don't you think?

My main concerns (for my own diet) would be the high carbs (I'm diabetic) so your pancakes and syrup would be right out and the high salt. I just would not enjoy that much salt.

The beauty of fast food is that they often have nutrition information on their web sites. [Due to variabilities internationally in details and with time as things change, I would trust this more than the numbers found in the MFP tracker.] Even Dominos has that information (though you have to search a little harder. https://order.dominos.com/en/pages/content/nutritional/lighter-options.jsp

As my scale tells me: Go for it, You can do it!

Nettie