Throwing out expensive dietary supplements

Options
I bought an 874 gram tub of Vega One nutritional shake powder about 6 months ago. I figured it would be a good addition to my diet on days when I don't have the time to eat right. It's packed with antioxidants, protein, Omega 3s, fiber, vitamins and minerals, etc.

But I HATE it. I've tried it mixed with milk, juice, almond milk. I've tried it in smoothies with fruit. I've tried using half Vega One and half whey protein powder in my smoothies. Nothing makes it remotely palatable for me.

I tried giving it away, but no one was interested.

So now I'm going to throw it out. And I hate throwing out things out when they're not spoiled/past shelf life. Having grown up in a very frugal family, I've grown to hate 'wasting' things. So I actually feel bad about dumping it. But... *sigh*.

Replies

• CharbyOttawa
    CharbyOttawa Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Have you tried adding a scoop to your baking or homemade protein bars? That could be an option to make nasty tasting supplements palatable.
  • enchantedgardener
    enchantedgardener Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Yes. I have tried that too. No luck there either. :(

It's both the flavour and texture that I dislike. If it was just one or the other, I think I could find a way to get around it.

I'm surprised that I hate it so much. I read so many positive product reviews online.
  • unesemainedecruaute
    unesemainedecruaute Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    But, what would be the problem? The taste is much strong? The texture it gives to everything?
  • TheGymGypsy
    TheGymGypsy Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    I love my Vega One shake personally. I had to throw away a 5 lb tub of Ultimate Whey protein powder once though, so I understand how you feel.
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    How about a cheesecake recipe?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFKoEBmW134&feature=share&list=LLaQM_XYE01-S6XIAE7X9KBg&index=8

ETA: Also, see if you can find something on this site: www.proteinpow.com
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    Body Nutrition (formerly Truscience) makes an amazing Trutein Cinnabun quality protein that may as well be dessert.....but only 5 g of carbs....and it tastes amazing mixed only with water (but you can mix it with other stuff as well if you want more calories). I also like using it with eggs to make some amazing protein pancakes (adding fruit at times).
  • frankieags
    frankieags Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Give Shakeology a try? Comes out to about $4 per shake, but TASTY and delicious. Flavors include chocolate, vegan chocolate, strawberry, and greenberry. I have the chocolate and it's the best shake I've ever tried. If you can spend the $$$ (as it's not one of the cheapest), it's well worth it!
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    Give Shakeology a try? Comes out to about $4 per shake, but TASTY and delicious. Flavors include chocolate, vegan chocolate, strawberry, and greenberry. I have the chocolate and it's the best shake I've ever tried. If you can spend the $$$ (as it's not one of the cheapest), it's well worth it!

Its only the best shake you've ever tried if you mix it with other stuff. LOL! A BB Coach sent me a sample of chocolate and, while its stomachable, I'd be very disappointed if that was the best tasting protein available. I prefer getting quality protein you can mix with water and truly enjoy....and there are many out there that fit the description (and also cost less than Shakeology) ;)