When do you log your food?

Options
Do you log it before you eat it? Right after you've eaten? At the end of the day?

Replies

• 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    usually right after i eat it, but I tend to be a routine eater so I already know what I am eating anyways. If I don't, say going out with friends or making something new then I will create the recipe and log beforehand or figure out what I will be eating at the resaurant and log that beforehand. Pre-logging really helps if you tend to have a lot of oopsie moments.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I prelog a couple days in advance actually.

Prior to that I logged it as I ate it...I would write it down with it's weight and log either as I ate or right after.

It would be difficult to log a the end of the day unless you wrote it down somewhere...
  • daliyanin
    daliyanin Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Before, after, AND at the end of the day!
    Whenever I can. If I know what I'll be eating the full day I'll try to log before. I can always go back and make adjustments. Most of the time though, I log right after each meal, snack, etc.
    Find whatever works for you. It doesn't matter when as long as you are accurate and consistent.
  • emmamaybear
    emmamaybear Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I plan my entire week ahead. Or at least for a few days. I'm a bit OCD on the food logging though, so you might not want to take advice from me. However, planning everything makes it easier for me to not have to think about everything I eat, because I know what I'll be eating. I do leave room for a few mistakes though (about 200 kcal or something) so I don't feel trapped in my planning.
  • nerdfighter1997
    Options
    before
  • EdwardGates
    Options
    I have only been at it about 3 weeks and counting calories was new to me. I ate what I wanted when I wanted. Learning to count calories to meet my goal (1270) was tough and I didn't do well the first week or so but have gotten it down to where I meet my goal on a regular basis now. As my food diary increased in items I was able to figure out my rough calorie intake before I ate and logged them in just after I ate. Now with new items I figure out the calories/portions before I eat to help me stay in line. Doing it as I go helps me keep track of how much I still have available. I don't think it matter WHEN you log as long as you log it and are accurate with it.
  • MzHornedOne
    MzHornedOne Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Usually right after I eat it but sometimes before hand. I like to see how my macros will look before I eat something too.
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    I was as a go through day after I eat anything, now I am prelogging my day, seems to be much more easier for me to keep track of totals, sometimes I have to change it but I prefere prelogging :)
  • buzybev
    buzybev Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Before. And I cook/shop for the week on Sunday so I usually plan out and log the week in advance (minus snacks).
  • susie3g
    susie3g Posts: 267
    Options
    Before I eat it.
  • CrinkleMarie
    CrinkleMarie Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I typically log my food when I finish a meal, but there are some days I will log ahead if I know what Im having for lunch or dinner.
  • victoire713
    victoire713 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I log at the end of everyday. Easier for me that way.
  • krennie8
    krennie8 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    sometimes before, sometimes after. Always the same day though.
  • sandyhyde35
    Options
    I pretty much log everything before I eat it. In the morning when I'm making breakfast I log my breakfast and lunch (since it is already packed for work). If I log it I find it easier to stick with it. If not, I'll easily get off track. I normally will log dinner while I'm making dinner so I know exactly how much I can eat that way I can portion it out on my plate and there will not be any desire to overeat. I know how much I have to eat and that's all there is to it. It seems to be working for me so far.
  • jcubedatund
    jcubedatund Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I tend to do better at meeting my goals when I pre-log. My fiancé does not track his food as I do so it helps for me to plan ahead for what we will be having for supper (our only meal together during the day) and then I know how much wiggle room I have for the rest of the day.
  • Nikki31104
    Nikki31104 Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I log right after I eat. But if I am going out to eat (like I did today) I will pick a few options and log it before I order. That way I know which one is lowest in calories.
  • becs3578
    becs3578 Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I log most of my food in the AM. I now bring my lunch and snacks to work with me. So that was I know if I need to make some adjustments... I also have a general idea of how many calories my workouts burn so again.. I know what wiggle room I have.
  • SandraD1424
    SandraD1424 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    All of the above but for me personally I prefer to do it before I eat. And the entire day if I can, at least the 3 main meals. It lets me know in advance if I should make any changes and if I have room for anything extra. I have been averaging about 200 calorie remaining daily.
  • billyswife0516
    Options
    I log my whole day at the beginning of each day. I find for me that I stick with within my goals when I do it that way!
  • hastingsmassage
    hastingsmassage Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    when preparing food, just before I eat