My First 5K

Options
So, on April 5th, I'm doing my first 5K.
I've been practicing since January (I was barely able to run a minute), but now I'm able to run about 25 minutes straight if I really push myself. I'm wanting to do a 5K in about 35 minutes, which I think is reachable, but there's a slight problem...
Within the past two-three weeks, I've only been able to get to the gym to run about 3 times. Which is pretty bad because now I'm freaking out that I'm becoming really out of practice. The weather is JUST starting to warm up, and even if it was still a bit cold, I know for sure I want to run outside the last week before the big day, since I had been practicing all winter so far on a treadmill.
Do you think I'll be okay when out running and that 35 minutes seems reasonable?
Also... I have another question... Since I haven't been able to get to the gym, I've been doing the Cardio Max for Biggest Loser, and I was wondering, am I still burning/losing a good amount of weight, compared to running?

Hope that makes sense.

Replies

• attackhamster
    attackhamster Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    You will find that you can run a lot father with (seemingly) a lot less effort when you are running outside! Running on a treadmill, I can last about 15 minutes before I have to stop. Outside I run full 5ks once or twice a week, which takes me about 40 minutes (yeah, I'm slow!).

How far are you getting when you run for 25 minutes? It's hard to guess if you will be able to run 5k in 35 minutes without knowing that.
  • Samstan101
    Samstan101 Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    If that's you in your profile pic OP then yes you'll be able to do it and 35mins will be easily attainable. I'm still 208lbs and my 5k PB is 31:31. Like the other poster I find running outside far easier than an a treadmill as there are plenty of distractions and you can vary your pace for the terrain. You'll nail your 5k I'm sure :smile: Running is as much in the mind as the body if you tell yourself you can run for another 30s and then another 30s etc you can IME. Best of luck and enjoy it!
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    I want to run outside the last week before the big day, since I had been practicing all winter so far on a treadmill.
    Err I'd do it quite a few weeks before that. Running outside is different. It's harder and you get more impact on your joints and tendons so your body needs to get used to that. Going from running on a treadmill then running outside and a week later running a race (where you'll end up pushing yourself) is just inviting injury. Run outside now unless you have 6 feet of snow on the ground there is no real reason you can't. Good luck
  • LiveMore101
    LiveMore101 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Really? I thought that running outside would be more distracting! But yeah, hopefully it will be better outside!
    Within 25 minutes, I get to about 2 miles... I start off walking about 3-5 minutes in the beginning.
  • LiveMore101
    Options
    If that's you in your profile pic OP then yes you'll be able to do it and 35mins will be easily attainable. I'm still 208lbs and my 5k PB is 31:31. Like the other poster I find running outside far easier than an a treadmill as there are plenty of distractions and you can vary your pace for the terrain. You'll nail your 5k I'm sure :smile: Running is as much in the mind as the body if you tell yourself you can run for another 30s and then another 30s etc you can IME. Best of luck and enjoy it!

Haha, I wish! That's not me in the picture, though I'm working up to that!
    Thanks so much! I definitely hope so!
  • LiveMore101
    Options
    I want to run outside the last week before the big day, since I had been practicing all winter so far on a treadmill.
    Err I'd do it quite a few weeks before that. Running outside is different. It's harder and you get more impact on your joints and tendons so your body needs to get used to that. Going from running on a treadmill then running outside and a week later running a race (where you'll end up pushing yourself) is just inviting injury. Run outside now unless you have 6 feet of snow on the ground there is no real reason you can't. Good luck

All right. So, I guess maybe I should be starting soon, here! Thanks for the advice. I'll just have to take it a bit more easy and maybe not push so harder... I REALLY don't want injury!
  • supergirl6
    supergirl6 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I find that I'm a lot faster when I run outside, and I enjoy what's happening around me a lot more. However, the weather in my part of the country is just lousy during the winter and I'll only have a handful of good running days before my first 5k of the year. But I agree with the other posters - running outside is very very different. No matter what your time ends up being, you'll have a really good time!
  • mreeves261
    mreeves261 Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    Another vote for getting outside. The sooner the better. Different people have different experiences outside. For some it is easier, for others it is harder. It is absolutely different and you run the risk of getting shin splint, PF flares, runners knee issues, etc. Treadmills offer a cushioned landing, pavement and concrete do not. Get out there and see how your body is going to react.
  • GillianMcK
    GillianMcK Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I find outside more difficult than a treadmill, treadmill I have a nice cushioned flat landing, outside the ground is much harder and never as level as a treadmill.
    I've ran outside all winter including the snow (trail shoes work just fine in the snow and mud), I would get out and try outside as soon as possible.
    Time doesn't matter, you're still lapping everyone on the couch, start at the back of the pack, pick your own pace and enjoy (starting at the front you'll get caught up with the faster runners and go far too fast and be knackered by the time you hit 1K).

Enjoy, have a good time:)
  • LiveMore101
    Options
    Thank you all for responding! The weather where I'm living right now isn't TOO horribly (it's FINALLY starting to get warmer and melt. We're above 32 degrees, yipee!!) So, I think I might get outside today and start practicing. I know that doesn't give me a lot of time before the 5K, but I might just have to go slower. I wasn't expecting to finish first, but to just meet my goal of 35 minutes or under.
    Thank you ALL for the advice! I hope I do have fun! :)
  • supergirl6
    supergirl6 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I would also recommend when you're on the treadmill to run at a .5 or 1 incline. It'll act more like running outside, which isn't as flat as a 0 incline treadmill. That'll help prep you a little bit.
  • tpfoodie
    tpfoodie Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Just do it. You don't need to run a perfect 5K your first time. I ran a 5K in December. I'm not a runner, I'm 50 pounds overweight, and I did not train *at all.* Yet I still ran most of the track, slowing down to a walk only three times. In the end I finished it. I didn't set a goal for myself and I didn't hold myself to the standard that I couldn't slow down to walk. I wound up having a great time!
  • Eric_DeCastro
    Eric_DeCastro Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    my very first 5K I ran it in 34:34 so it is very doable. I usually run 4 miles in 40-45 min. slow and easy with hills to mix it up.