Running tips, anyone?

Options
Hello there. I'm running a Tough Mudder this year and have just started doing running training two mornings a week with some fellow team mates. I would say that generally my fitness and strength are 'pretty good' but am just not very good at this running business!

Does anyone have any tips? When I'm running with my team mates (and admittedly they're more seasoned runners) I am most deifnitely holding them up by having to walk sometimes. It's my breathing. I get really wheezy. Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Replies

• JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    If you're new to running and your teammates are not, let them leave you. Try a Couch to 5k type approach. Perhaps you can have longer run intervals, but start small. Also, slow down, you may be trying to go too fast.
  • CillitBang
    CillitBang Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Thank you. I think I will let them leave me and just go it alone for now as feeling that you're holding everyone up sort of puts you off doing it again. I just liked the company!

Thanks very much for you advice.
  • kenmunson333
    kenmunson333 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Having run a few of these types of races, I would highly recommend doing some cross-country running as part of your training. Maybe you're already doing that. I've found that too many people do all their training at the gym on treadmills and then fall apart on open terrain, especially on hilly terrain.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options

Yup, that. And if you don't feel like reading it, DON'T START OUT TOO FAST
  • CillitBang
    CillitBang Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Thanks - I did read that post and it was full of good tips. Brilliant!

From reading it I think I'm expecting too much too soon so will just jog along at a nice pace until I can go for longer and then start to pick things up a bit.

And yep, have taken on your tip about cross country training, kenmunson333.
  • MelAb8709
    MelAb8709 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    A Tough Mudder is 10 miles or so, yes? Hopefully you have several months to work up to that distance.

Start SLOW for sure, gradually build distance. I think you probably need to add another day or 2 of running to your current schedule of 2 days a week as you increase your mileage.

Hopefully what you lack in running abilities, you'll make up for in the obstacles!

Sounds fun - good luck!
  • bobbijodmb
    bobbijodmb Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I actually just started running in November-- and running my first half in 3.5 weeks-- i wrote a blog about my experience-- feel free to add me and read what I have learned
  • lauramblair
    lauramblair Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    When I started out, I never thought I could run any sort of distance. Turns out, I was just going too fast. I thought running had to be RUNNING. Once I let myself "run" (jog) as slow as I needed to, as long as I was still doing it, it was like a switch flipped. Speed comes over time.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Have you ever been checked for exercise-induced asthma? If slowing down doesn't help, see a doctor.
  • ferocityturbine
    ferocityturbine Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    When I started out, I never thought I could run any sort of distance. Turns out, I was just going too fast. I thought running had to be RUNNING. Once I let myself "run" (jog) as slow as I needed to, as long as I was still doing it, it was like a switch flipped. Speed comes over time.

^^This

Also once you start doing it at a pace you can maintain, you might just realise that you love it!
  • Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Do more cardio. You can do cardio just about every day as long as it's not too high impact, it will help increase your endurance for running. Also you can probably run 3 times a week but it depends on your mileage.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Don't Run with Scissors you could fall and hurt yourself
  • TracyJo93
    TracyJo93 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    The first time I ran a mile, in January, it took me 10 minutes. Yesterday, I ran the same mile in 8:08. I set small goals for myself and gradually decreased the time that I walk. I still can't "run" a whole mile without stopping to walk, but hopefully I will soon. My goal time is 7 minutes.

That being said, take everyone's advice and start out slow. Just try to do a little better everyday!