When do you log your food?

Options

Replies

• lajuice24
    lajuice24 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I try to log as I go throughout the day. If I fall behind I do it before I go to bed.,
  • kuderstadt
    kuderstadt Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Usually right after I eat it, or right before if I'm in the middle of preparing it and have a minute…
  • lilmisfit1987
    lilmisfit1987 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I log right after I've eaten breakfast and plan out everything else I'm going to eat for the day.
  • knitapeace
    knitapeace Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    During the work week I log breakfast, lunch, and snacks the night before. I make all my decisions in advance and it makes my morning easier...just follow the list I made up the night before, eat the food I bring to work, and avoid visiting the snack machines. I always leave myself about half my daily calories for dinner and evening snack...since my spouse is the dinner chef I don't always know what he's putting on the table that night.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    I make my own breakfast and lunch, and eat the dinner my wife has prepared in the evening.

I log breakfast and lunch the day before, when I pack them. I make sure to leave a nice buffer for dinner and snacks. I then log dinner right after we eat. I log snacks right before I have them, using up the rest of my daily budget that way, minding my protein macro in the process.
  • marcellomoo
    marcellomoo Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I plan most of my calories out the night before and leave some snack/ wiggle room. If I can't get my pre-planned weight for something on the kitchen scales then I'll adjust it in my log as I'm making it. Snacks and drinks get added as I have them, but knowing how many spare calories I have to work with that day helps me make my choices.
  • Traciaq
    Traciaq Posts: 29
    Options
    I log as I am preparing and cooking that way I don't forget those small things that add up if you don't log them
  • mom2kpr
    mom2kpr Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I try to log everything in the morning. If I need to I make adjustments throughout the day. If I eat first, then log, I will go over my calories.
  • tpfoodie
    tpfoodie Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I actually log earlier in the day. I plan what I want to eat and calculate it out. If it's too many points (I'm on Weight Watchers) then I substitute or opt for something else
  • MissKim78
    MissKim78 Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I usually log when I eat....but if I know what I will be having I will log it before so I don't forget and to help plan for the rest of the day.
  • marcellomoo
    marcellomoo Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    But if I am going out to eat (like I did today) I will pick a few options and log it before I order. That way I know which one is lowest in calories.

I thought I had this perfected. And then they came over while we were waiting for our food and made me choose a substitution on the spot. I had no idea how to log it and it tasted awful. Always plan a back up meal.
  • crsawinton
    crsawinton Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Usually right after I eat it, but dinner I log before, so I know what measurements I should use, plus if it goes over I'll adjust the portion size.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Right after I eat (or even while eating) whenever possible. If not, the next time I sit down with my phone or computer.
  • snapehbp
    snapehbp Posts: 64
    Options
    Before I eat it.

I usually prelog a day in advance, sometimes more, and I find that it helps me see what my macros/calories will be in advance which helps me keep accountable. If things change I adjust but it's rare that I stray from my meal planning.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    Often I log a whole week of food on Sunday afternoon. If not, the night before.

It's a rare, rare day where I log something after I eat it, unless I purposely left a few snacks "open" or have an unexpected meal out (even then I try to plan ahead).

I consider prelogging a pretty big reason I've been successful at the weight loss/maintenance game.
  • kitkatbar972
    Options
    I like to log things the night before. I have a lot of trouble hitting my protein macro and I find that if I don't pre-plan out my day I hit my calorie count with only half the protein I need. I do change it throughout the day if I eat something different, it's certainly not set in stone but this way I know what I'm eating and that if I get invited out for lunch then I know that I need to order something high protein, mid carb and low fat, for example. I always leave 200-300 calories for a treat unless I know for sure I'm having one and then I'll pre-log that as well.
  • hellsbells3272
    hellsbells3272 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I log all the food I know I am going to eat at the start of the day, exercise too. If I am not quite sure, I add it later on. I just like to have a bit of an idea how the day will go before it goes :D
  • sunandskies
    sunandskies Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    As soon as I know what I'll be eating I log it and will always try to log before I actually eat it to see how it fits in with my goals.
    I can't uneat something that had a lot more calories than I thought, but I can take it off the diary and eat something different.
  • disneygirl626
    disneygirl626 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I log before I eat it, sometimes even a few hours in advance if I already know what I'm going to be eating. For example when I go to work I pack a lunch and a snack or two. I log these before I even leave the house. For me this helps keep me from going to the employee cafe and splurging on something there instead.
  • sandign
    sandign Posts: 56
    Options
    Most of the time I log before I eat so I can make sure I'm eating the right foods. The only time I do it after is if I have eaten the same foods/meal before so I know what the counts are.