Cardio / strength training ratio?

Options
2»

Replies

• eldeezo
    eldeezo Posts: 19
    Options
    do you have access to a gym?

I would recommend a program of lifting heavy with compound movements and then cardio on off days.

Starting strength and new rules of lifting are great resources..

sample plan would be something like ...

Monday - chest/arms
    tues - cardio
    wens - legs
    thurs - cardio
    friday - back/shouler
    sat - cardio/abs/rest
    sunday - rest

I would suggest on strength training working out in the 8-10 rep range. Also, as you drop more body fat and get closer to goal weight you can back off the cardio and maybe transition to an upper/lower type routine where you lift four days a week with one day of cardio ...

Don't you think a split routine like that is better suited for intermediate lifters? Beginners would be better served doing an AxBxA BxAxB full body workout, no?

Don't mean to break in your debate here but he was making a suggestion and if the OP likes it than that's great. I mean its like debating that walking on the treadmill is better than the elliptical.. You wouldn't know what you like if you didn't try both.
    Notice I never suggested that OP do one over the other? OP is free to do as OP pleases. I'm just asking ndj1979 about the routine he GAVE AS AN EXAMPLE. I am fully aware that he did not recommend OP use the routine he laid out, that he was using it as sampling of how to lay out a routine.
    From everything I've read and experienced in regards ti weight lifting, I just wanted to get my feelings across that that routine seemed a bit advanced for beginners.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

I am by no means an expert ....I would actually assume that an upper/lower split would be better for an intermediate lifter and that a split like the one I suggested can work for a beginner...but there is nothing wrong with a fully body work out either...I am open to opinions on the matter...

I'm certainly not an expert either, but everything I've read has pointed towards starting out with a full body routine. I was just wondering.

well I think if OP coupled it by starting off reading starting strength and/or new rules of lifting for woman it would give her a good base of knowledge to move into a split type program ..

Take Monday Chest/arms ...is barbell bench press, dumbbell incline press, arm curls, and tri pushdowns really that complex?? Seems pretty basic to me, but again, I could be wrong...
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options

I would recommend a program of lifting heavy with compound movements and then cardio on off days.

Monday - chest/arms
    tues - cardio
    wens - legs
    thurs - cardio
    friday - back/shouler
    sat - cardio/abs/rest
    sunday - rest

I would suggest on strength training working out in the 8-10 rep range. Also, as you drop more body fat and get closer to goal weight you can back off the cardio and maybe transition to an upper/lower type routine where you lift four days a week with one day of cardio ...

Don't you think a split routine like that is better suited for intermediate lifters? Beginners would be better served doing an AxBxA BxAxB full body workout, no?

Don't mean to break in your debate here but he was making a suggestion and if the OP likes it than that's great. I mean its like debating that walking on the treadmill is better than the elliptical.. You wouldn't know what you like if you didn't try both.
    Notice I never suggested that OP do one over the other? OP is free to do as OP pleases. I'm just asking ndj1979 about the routine he GAVE AS AN EXAMPLE. I am fully aware that he did not recommend OP use the routine he laid out, that he was using it as sampling of how to lay out a routine.
    From everything I've read and experienced in regards ti weight lifting, I just wanted to get my feelings across that that routine seemed a bit advanced for beginners.

refer to post #20
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    Good luck OP hope that helps some.
  • krawhitham
    krawhitham Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    I am on the beginning of my journey in losing ~45 lbs, and I do high-intensity cardio at least 30 minutes every day.

I will do 1-2 days with dumbbells. This is only because my muscles aren't used to lifting anything, and in the 2 months that I've been on this routine, I've gone up in dumbbell weight and my muscles don't feel like rubber the next day - they're beginning to feel stronger!

I chose to take it slow. I started off using 10 lb dumbbells doing squats and lunges, presses with arms, and triceps.

Now I can lift 20 lbs dumbbells but only get through probably 2 sets with these.

I felt that I needed to start heavy on the cardio first because lifting extra weight (simply wearing a backpack with a lot of stuff in it) was hurting my knee and foot, and losing some weight and slowly getting my body used to lifting weight. I can tell that I've built up muscles around my knee and in my foot and they don't hurt as frequently anymore.

But, I'd have to say, diet is 90% of the whole equation.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options

Monday - chest/arms
    tues - cardio
    wens - legs
    thurs - cardio
    friday - back/shouler
    sat - cardio/abs/rest
    sunday - rest

^ What he said
  • Kimsoontobe
    Kimsoontobe Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • ammeg1234
    ammeg1234 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I am on the beginning of my journey in losing ~45 lbs, and I do high-intensity cardio at least 30 minutes every day.

I will do 1-2 days with dumbbells. This is only because my muscles aren't used to lifting anything, and in the 2 months that I've been on this routine, I've gone up in dumbbell weight and my muscles don't feel like rubber the next day - they're beginning to feel stronger!

I chose to take it slow. I started off using 10 lb dumbbells doing squats and lunges, presses with arms, and triceps.

Now I can lift 20 lbs dumbbells but only get through probably 2 sets with these.

I felt that I needed to start heavy on the cardio first because lifting extra weight (simply wearing a backpack with a lot of stuff in it) was hurting my knee and foot, and losing some weight and slowly getting my body used to lifting weight. I can tell that I've built up muscles around my knee and in my foot and they don't hurt as frequently anymore.

But, I'd have to say, diet is 90% of the whole equation.

Ah thanks so much for replying its great to see what someone on the same position is doing... I have some dumbbells at home that I've been neglecting, I've always enjoyed cardio more. Do you mind if I add you? It would be great to follow your journey.
  • IWILLBelieveAchieveInspire
    Options
    bump
  • azamlynn2000
    azamlynn2000 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    A good website is www.bodybuilding.com - They have a lot of 12-week programs that include weight training and cardio - you can pick what plan suits you and they also have options if you want to lose weight, Transform or Gain Muscle. It has helped me with my bikini competition. Go check it out
  • Kimsoontobe
    Kimsoontobe Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Bump