Hey Fatty!

Options
13»

Replies

• mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Title is rude, but the message isn't.

It is rude, because it makes assumptions about the overweight runner that aren't true. It assumes that she just started running, that she overeats, etc. In her response to the viral post, she says she actually had been running for over a year, had originally weighed over 400 lbs, and had already lost 100 lbs, and was eating well along with her workouts. making assumptions never goes well for the person making the assumptions, does it?
  • JG762
    JG762 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    I took that the author used the term fatty so that he could actually catch the attention of some of the snobbish types who might be running and passing judgment on the rest of "us". The beginning of the article is almost written to catch the attention of someone who might agree with the statements, then the tone changes kinda like "I hooked you now I'm going to reel you in". I agree that it and many other words like it can be found offensive but honestly when I try to describe this website I jokingly refer to it as 'Facebook for fattys". I only use that term when I'm recommending the site to a possible user so they understand they aren't alone on their journey should they decide to take that first step.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Hey Fatty!

What up...

tumblr_mc0oqsxR2y1rhkyyso1_500.gif

....wait...are we talking about something else here?
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,585 Member
    Options
    this reeks of "praise me because look how nice I am being to that pathetic little fatty , look at me pat the fatties head in approval of their existence. LOOK AT ME IM KINDA OKAY WITH FAT PEOPLE EXISTING BUT ONLY IF THEY RUN "

gross

Wow. Trying real hard to be offended, aren't you?

Believe it or not, some people actually think it's very inspiring when someone is just starting to exercise. That person who is finally getting off the couch deserves our respect and our encouragement. If someone was mean to you when you were heavy, then that sucks. But that mean person doesn't give you the right to try and take away from someone who is trying to say something nice.

Not everyone is a bully. They may not deliver their message the way you would but that doesn't make it any less poignant or effective. Quit working so hard at finding something to get upset about.

"trying to say something nice" you are right .. they *tried* but failed miserably
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,585 Member
    Options
    As a fatty, I'm not really thrilled with it. While it ends up being a letter of affirmation in the end, every part of me responds with the sentiment "F**k you. I don't need your approval and I definitely don't need your backhanded compliments." The writer seems to be seeking validation for being tolerant of, and even inspired by, the "fatty". Congratulations on almost treating someone with basic human decency, I guess!

yes yes yes
  • amyc115
    amyc115 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Could it be they used "hey fatty" as a nod to the usual kinds of comments fat people expect to get from fit people just to get their attention? I'm fat and I know it. It's not a secret. It is out there for everyone to see. Were the person speaking out loud at the track, and not used the "fatty" moniker, that fat person could mistake the "YOU ROCK" for a comment to someone else. By saying "hey fatty" it directs the attention and leaves no question as to just who that person is praising. Words have power only if you give them power.

THIS!!!
  • dreawest
    dreawest Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    As a 'fatty' I was given a gift last year and I think this was the intent of the poster regardless of poor choices in language and assumptions about habits and thoughts. I was talking in a support group and the topic of swimming as exercise came up and a few of us were like 'bathing suits in public-no thanks' but one lady who was there and quite fit said that a woman larger than myself (morbidly obese) had just started swimming at her pool and Margerie said her first thought when she saw her was 'good for you' follwed by 'she's so brave' and that takes courage. She said she is always silently rooting for her to do well and I was so happy to hear that sentiment as I always assumed people were thinking cruel things and knowing thats not the only option I now assume people are thinking positive thoughts when they see me.

*I tried to ignore my typos but could resist no more and edited
  • RedRyderAP
    RedRyderAP Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    As a recovering "fatty" who works out in public on a regular basis, I would welcome something like this. No, we don't need approval from others. However, a "way to go" or "keep up the good work" in whatever form is nice to hear. People who have not been where we are (struggling with weight) sometimes aren't sure what to say or how to say it for fear of offending. I am not easily offended and take little personally. Especially on social media. I found the post somewhat motivating.

I do find the snarky-ness of some of the responses to this topic mildly amusing. We were asked our opinion. If one differs from yours, no reason to get snarky. We don't have to see it the same way. If we all thought the same "my fitness pal" would be a very boring site. I am using this site for added motivation and accountability, which helps tremendously.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I've read this before, and the person didn't use the term "fatty". I think it was a lot more inspiring that way.
  • Colli78
    Colli78 Posts: 135
    Options
    Am I the only one that thinks that the writer of the FB post tried to plagiarize from THIS original post back in 2012?

http://flintland.blogspot.com/2012/05/hey-fat-girl.html

I like the original post a lot better. It's more inspiring. This just seems like some knock off that was trying to post something as their own work.
  • dreawest
    dreawest Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Am I the only one that thinks that the writer of the FB post tried to plagiarize from THIS original post back in 2012?

I like the original post a lot better. It's more inspiring. This just seems like some knock off that was trying to post something as their own work.

Someone else said it seemed familiar too and you are right. Your link is much better. In fact its great. I much prefer it.
  • BraveNewdGirl
    BraveNewdGirl Posts: 937 Member
    Options

Someone else said it seemed familiar too and you are right. Your link is much better. In fact its great. I much prefer it.
    +1! So much more win!
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Title is rude, but the message isn't.

It is rude, because it makes assumptions about the overweight runner that aren't true. It assumes that she just started running, that she overeats, etc. In her response to the viral post, she says she actually had been running for over a year, had originally weighed over 400 lbs, and had already lost 100 lbs, and was eating well along with her workouts. making assumptions never goes well for the person making the assumptions, does it?

In your rush to slam people for making assumptions you overlooked that Tony Posnanski's response was him injecting himself into something that was not about him. Details ... they matter.