Best Ab exercises

Options
I would love to hear what ab exercises you do that you think are really effective. I've been doing a bunch of different ones - hanging knee lifts, old fashioned crunches, Ab glider machine, and full sit ups with my arms extended. I don't feel the burn very much. I am doing a lot of heavy lifting for upper and lower body, but would love some great ab exercises. Thanks, y'all!

Replies

• bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    Check these out. It takes practice but stick with it and work your way up to 3 sets of 8. Then 3 sets of 10 and so on. They're killer, in a good way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6q7k_D6DGQ
  • wonderwoman234
    wonderwoman234 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I will try this! It looks simple, but I am guessing it's tough to keep good form. Thank you!
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    Planks.
  • missbp
    missbp Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    Planks.

THIS!!!!
  • jeremywm1977
    jeremywm1977 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    Oh no, you asked about ab exercises.......do you realize that you've invited every zealot to chime in with their "There is no exercise to target the abs, only diet will give you the six-pack"?

What I have found really targets my abdominal area great is punching and kicking. I have been doing Les Mills Combat for the past week, and I have never felt my abs be so sore. They engage the core a lot in the movements they do, jabs, uppercuts, hooks, etc.
    It's all of the pivoting I am doing while punching that seems to do it.

It's definitely left me more sore than any amount of situps or crunches.
  • jeremywm1977
    jeremywm1977 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    Planks.

Planks, as well as the many variations on the plank.
    High-Low Plank, Plank Walk, Plank Punches, Plank Salutes, Oblique Knee In Plank, Knee In Plank.............just to name a few.
  • wonderwoman234
    Options
    So all I have to do is punch and kick the zealots and I'll get better abs? Done!

Actually, I just want to make sure my abs are as strong as the rest of me and even though I still have a layer of fat, weight lifting has made my legs and arms look tighter and more toned, so want to make sure the abs get some attention, too.
  • gemma1675
    gemma1675 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I go to an abs class weekly and, other than planks, the exercise I feel a lot the next day is a crunch with one leg extended straight out and raised along with the arm.

I also have a yogalates DVD that has an instant abs section and that is really tough (if you can get hold of it)
  • wonderwoman234
    Options
    I will try planks again. Was doing them for a while. I'll need to do them before my arm work (or on leg days) so I'm not dead before I get to them.
  • Wicibeth
    Wicibeth Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Squats.
  • tootoop224
    tootoop224 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Planks.

THIS!!!!
    +1...or....2?.... errrr... whatever. Planks are great!
  • Slinky_BraveHeartBunsOfSteel
    Options
    Check these out. It takes practice but stick with it and work your way up to 3 sets of 8. Then 3 sets of 10 and so on. They're killer, in a good way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6q7k_D6DGQ
    ^^^ Bump for later ;)
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Oh no, you asked about ab exercises.......do you realize that you've invited every zealot to chime in with their "There is no exercise to target the abs, only diet will give you the six-pack"?

A lot of people here are of that opinion.

Along with a decent diet & the compound lifts, I usually do dedicated ab workouts x2/week. I personally am of the opinion if you want to see a muscle you need to work it directly. I don't waste my time doing planks or isometric ab work as that's covered when I do heavy squats and deadlifts. With the exception of leg raises & GHD Sit Ups, I mostly do weighted ab work - Cable Crunches, Barbell Floor Wipers, Crunches w/weight, etc.
  • KoopaSix
    KoopaSix Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Weighted ab crunches, Romanian Crunches, hanging knee raises, weighted decline crunches, ab wheel, cable crunches (my fav), planks, ...you only need to spend 5-10 minutes working abs. Just enough to stimulate growth...everyone has abs, it's a matter of removing subcutaneous fat layers hiding them.
  • wonderwoman234
    Options
    Weighted ab crunches, Romanian Crunches, hanging knee raises, weighted decline crunches, ab wheel, cable crunches (my fav), planks, ...you only need to spend 5-10 minutes working abs. Just enough to stimulate growth...everyone has abs, it's a matter of removing subcutaneous fat layers hiding them.

How could I not take this advice? Look at his pic!
  • KoopaSix
    KoopaSix Posts: 252 Member
    Options

Thanks :D Doubt you'd be saying that 8 months ago, but trust me focus on losing overall bodyfat..work abs lightly, just enough to stimulate growth. No need to overdo it because they're already there.

DSCN0459_zps96ac5fa8.jpg

mefat1_zps57126036.jpg
  • GeminiFitness1
    GeminiFitness1 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Try side planks or if Planks are getting easier try them on a stability ball. Keep elbows on ball. Feet are on the ground. It will challenge you. Make sure the ball is firm not too soft.
  • wonderwoman234
    Options

Thanks :D Doubt you'd be saying that 8 months ago, but trust me focus on losing overall bodyfat..work abs lightly, just enough to stimulate growth. No need to overdo it because they're already there.

DSCN0459_zps96ac5fa8.jpg

mefat1_zps57126036.jpg

WOW! What a transformation. Way to go! You look hot! Great job! Very inspiring.