Alternative to creamer for coffee

Options

Replies

• JourneyingJessica
    JourneyingJessica Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I refused to give up my regular full fat milk in my coffee. It's about 1/2c (75 cals) im not a fan of flavored creamers and using rice milk made me miserable. I look at it this way i get to eat 1200 calories, so i make darn sure each and every one of them is something i love.
  • liftsforchocolate
    Options
    Coconut milk/cream is great, i always drink mine black so don't know how it tastes though
  • arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    I don't like to use any of the coffee creamers due to the hydrogenated oils in them. I've just been using 2% milk. It works for me.

Also, there is no nutritional value in honey. It's just a form of sugar.
  • lindz625
    lindz625 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I tried So Delicious Coconut Milk "Creamer" about a week ago. The original flavor has 10 calories, 1 carb, and 1 gram of sugar for 1 tbsp. It also comes in french vanilla and hazelnut. It was better than I expected. I'll probably buy it again when I get bored with my trusty fat free Half and Half.
  • derekj222
    derekj222 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I just use the creamer. 10 calories per tub, 1 g fat. Unless you are drinking 1/2 c of that stuff in a day, you'll be fine. Try adding imitation vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, etc as well!
  • hollyk57
    hollyk57 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I use a little regular half and half, a little vegan sugar and some flavor extract, like vanilla, almond, chocolate or cherry
  • Yes2HealthyAriel
    Yes2HealthyAriel Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    This is what I do to.
    Hi All! I need your help. I love my coffee in the morning and usually would have the flavored creamer in it. I have since switched to just regular milk in there but am SO bored with it. I need something that is just as healthy but has some flavor. I have already decided against the fat free and sugar free creamers since they don't really have any nutritional value. I'd rather have a flavored milk of some sort and was wondering if anyone has any suggestions. I'm not opposed to rice or soy milk. I have seen some vanilla flavored soy milk in the stores, but don't know which one to buy. Help!

How about sprinkling cinnamon all over the top of the coffee with milk?

You can also add the cinnamon (or other spice-clove, nutmeg, pie spice) into the coffee in the filter and it will flavor the whole pot.
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    I found this recipe on a blog I read a lot called Premeditated Leftovers.

Do-It-Yourself French Vanilla Creamer

14 oz. can of condensed milk
    28 oz. milk (I usually use nonfat milk, but was out when I made this batch.)
    1 T - 1 1/2 T vanilla (I use artificial vanilla)

Pour the can of condensed milk into a pitcher. Fill the can two times with milk, adding the milk to the pitcher. Add vanilla to taste. Stir well. Keep refrigerated.

Edited to add: Did the math. Works out to about 20 calories per tablespoon, using sweetened condensed milk. :) Not bad!

DO WANT!

I'll add hot chocolate mix to my coffee for a yum mocha flavor. Just a tablespoon or so. You could even use a sugar-free variety.
  • Sunflwer3
    Sunflwer3 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I use a bit of half and half and a tsp or two of organic maple syrup. It's delicious!
  • tycho_mx
    tycho_mx Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Serious question - do you like coffee? Or the creamer.

Many of my coworkers claim to like coffee - that is, one cup added to about two cups of milk, some cream, a bit of chocolate, some frappe ice, and about 12 spoons of sugar. That's not a coffee, that's a coffee drink.

One of them was mentioning reducing calories and I suggested trying other drinks. Now she drinks green tea, slightly sweetened. She likes the bit of caffeine but the rest was simply a candy in liquid form. A spoon of sugar is 20 calories (or honey). That shouldn't break your nutritional efforts.

I absolutely love coffee, but the genuine stuff (black in my case) which is not trivial to buy or prepare yourself. I also like chocolate, which means something that actually came from a roasted cocoa bean and not some horrid milk solids, sugar, cocoa butter preparation :)
  • melanie_12345
    Options
    Almond milk is the BEST.

My favorite brand is Silk but Black Diamond is also good. They have a wide variety of options: first of all, unsweetened or sweetened. I personally buy the unsweetened because I use it in tons of other stuff and prefer the lower calories and less sugar, but if you are just using a few tablespoons in your coffee, sweetened will most likely taste better for you.

Then they also do Vanilla & Original. I like the vanilla because it has a bit of a twist to it! They have also recently come out with a chocolate one, which would be good in coffee as well :)
  • EreborsPrincess
    Options
    Organic half & half and a little sugar. I'll walk an extra lap or two to make it fit into my calories.
  • jessica51202
    jessica51202 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Coffee Mate Addict here as well. Glad you posted this. i srsly need to wean myself off the creamer lol
  • alasin1derland
    alasin1derland Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    carnation 2% canned milk adds a unique flavor
  • katiescott758
    katiescott758 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I like using flavored syrup too.... I found one that looks just like the flavoring for water that you squirt in, but it's for coffee. No cals. I love cream in my coffee so I am in the same boat!!!!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    i have creamer in my coffee daily. hasn't hurt me yet.
  • aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    Today I put white chocolate protein powder in my tea instead of creamer... awesome, and had 10g protein (1/2 scoop).
  • kodibear123
    kodibear123 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I take 1/2 cup of Vanilla Light Soymilk and warm it in the microwave, then I add coffee and splenda-YUM! :bigsmile:
  • Hungry_Annie
    Hungry_Annie Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    I always use half and half, but this Is making me crave some flavored coffee!!