Hooping for Fitness?

Options
Hi there! I have been tracking my food and lowering my intake for 2 weeks as of today, and two days ago my hubby bought me a 3 pound fitness hoop. It is a little bit large for me, but only by an inch or so. I am very, very bad at it, lol, but it is so fun! Does anyone else have any hooping experience or any tips for me to get better at hooping? Anyone have any experience with hooping to lose weight? I am currently fighting off the bruising, lol, since it is a pretty heavy hoop. Still, I am very excited about it. Once I get my stamina up, I am hoping to go for more of a hoop dance style.

Thanks!

Replies

• mom2aeris
    mom2aeris Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Anyone?
  • crsawinton
    crsawinton Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I guess you mean like a hula hoop? I'm not familiar.

I did buy a hula hoop to use in my exercises sometimes, but it's just a regular one.
  • mom2aeris
    Options
    Yes, I mean like a hula hoop. They're weighted (3 pounds) and they're padded so that they don't beat you up too much. Mine is a bit big for me, so it's hard to keep spinning, and I get a huge work out from it. I love it!
  • yogicarl
    yogicarl Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    There is a group for hula hooping - just look up hula in groups and it will show up.

You get a great workout from hula hooping - even if it is only bending down to pick the hoop back up 100s of times!
  • ohyaynj
    ohyaynj Posts: 21
    Options
    It's great fun!

I'm afraid I really don't have any tips as I'm no expert, but I've found if you try and vary the direction you throw it around you, and use a weighted one it's more challenging.

If you have one you can add/take out sections, adding more in is going to make it trickier too.
  • Goin4goal
    Goin4goal Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I have a weighted hoop also and love it although I've just recently picked it up again after it gathering dust for a few years. lol I should probably take out a section or two because it is quite large. It brings me back to my childhood. I once kept the hoop going for over an hour (a regular one) - my dad loved timing me. I'm not sure how much of a workout it is though - for me its just FUN!!
  • Beautifulbridgittlee7
    Beautifulbridgittlee7 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Hula hooping evidently is a nonimpact workout that's cardio and toning in one. there's a dvd series called Hooptnotica Fitness, and their website explains it, the calorie burn, the benefits, etc.
  • toshtip
    toshtip Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    grrrrrrr...... was HOPING for a thread about basketball! :(

:cry:
  • RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle
    Options
    Im going to check out the group that was mentioned. I love hula hooping. I still don't have a weighted one though and have been meaning to get one. All I can suggest is practice. I have won a few hooka hooping competitions in my time but I if I'm on my own I find it boring to go for more than five minutes. So far all I'm able to do is hula standing to kneeling and back up again for tricks:) Recently, I started belly dancing classes and I think my hula practice is helping me pick up the technique faster. Have fun!
  • mom2aeris
    Options
    Wow, more people! :-D
    Yes, I love my weighted fitness hoop. It is brilliant. Mine is 3 pounds, as I think I said before.
    I just got my personal best time for solid hooping without slipping or losing my hoop, 1 minute 40 seconds. Before today, I hadn't gone past the minute mark. :-D
    I have a really hard time with the hoop traveling clockwise, but I can do anticlockwise for some reason, heh. Just another goal! :-D
  • tmm_0127
    tmm_0127 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    I have a weighted hoop! They're really fun I think, and you're not restricted to just hooping. You can use the hoop for stretching and more dynamic pilates-type-moves. I got a dvd with mine so I went through the 3-levels it offered just to see what all I could do. It's fun to add different things to your routine, and they're not pricey, so why not? :)
  • mom2aeris
    Options
    That is very true, they're really not that expensive. I use mine for stretching as well! I wish mine had come with a dvd, but no, I just got the hoop. That's ok, though. It's helping build up my stamina and my coordination.
  • emirror
    emirror Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    Try youtube for instructional videos.
  • mom2aeris
    Options
    Oh, I have looked at youtube. Right now, I want to raise my stamina more than anything. I have pretty **** stamina, heh. But also my fitness hoop is really too big (by an inch or so) and too heavy (by at least a pound and a half) for tricks. It moves quite slowly, no matter how fast I go or how much effort I put into it.
  • ecograndma
    Options
    I love my hoop!

It took me a couple weeks to perfect my hooping. But once I got it, I had a blast. I try and hoop a couple of times per week while I watch the evening news. My grand kids get a kick when grandma gets her hoop out. They start laughing and try to get under the hoop. It is just a lot of fun and another great exercise tool.
  • JenniCali1000
    JenniCali1000 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I've been using just a regular hula hoop and it's not just fun but definitely tones me up too. I might get a weighted one soon. As for tips on getting better, practice makes perfect! :)
  • mom2aeris
    Options
    You go ecograndma. :) That's lovely.

I love hooping. I definitely am not perfect at it, but I can keep it up on average for 2 minutes or so and if I really push my limits I have maxed out at 4 minutes straight. Of course, by the end I am a sweaty mess, but that's ok. :) It's such a blast.

It's great to see how many people love hooping.
  • Alexadance
    Options
    I hula hoop everyday for about 10 mins...and then whenever i'm boiling the kettle I pop outside too....mine isn't weighted and I've only been doing it for a few weeks but yesterday I was complimented on my "tiny" waist.....
    It so much fun and it seems to be working too!

Yay
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    nothing wrong with moving more..but calorie deficit is what is going to cause your weight loss ….
  • LadyWeaselofVT
    LadyWeaselofVT Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I love hooping. I do it in short spurts, when I don't have enough time for a proper workout and I need an energy boost. I learned tricks from the Hoopnotica DVDs and YouTube. I'm still not awesome but I have a few tricks down and I can keep the hoop moving for a good stretch.