88 calorie brownies

Options
I posted this in the nutrition section before, hey I'm new to this what can I say! :tongue:

This is a recipe I found on discoveryhealth.com, I made them and they are fantastic! The recipe has all the nutritional info at the bottom...

Double Chocolate Brownies
Ingredients
1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
4 egg whites
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup unbleached, all-purpose flour
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon instant espresso powder
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup mini chocolate chips (semi-sweet)
Butter-flavored cooking spray

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray an 8x8 inch non-stick cake pan with spray.

In a medium mixing bowl, using a sturdy whisk or spatula, mix the applesauce, vanilla, egg whites and sugar until they are well combined.

Add the flour, cocoa powder, espresso powder, baking powder, and salt. Stir the mixture until it is just combined and no lumps remain. Pour it into the prepared pan. Sprinkle the chips evenly over the top. Bake the brownies for 20-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out dry (a few crumbs are okay).

Transfer the pan to a cooling rack and allow them to cool 5 minutes. Cut into 12 equal brownies. Makes 12 (1 brownie) servings.

Each brownie has: 88 calories, 2 g protein, 19 g carbohydrates, 1 g fat, less than 1 g saturated fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 1 g fiber, 133 mg sodium

Traditional Double Chocolate Brownies have: 260 calories, 3 g protein, 37 g carbohydrates, 12 g fat, 3 g saturated fat, 15 mg cholesterol, 1 g fiber, 165 mg sodium

I entered all of the info into the food database so if you try them and want to log it search under Healthy Indulgence double chocolate brownies...

Replies

• 612gemini
    612gemini Posts: 37
    Options
    I posted this in the nutrition section before, hey I'm new to this what can I say! :tongue:

This is a recipe I found on discoveryhealth.com, I made them and they are fantastic! The recipe has all the nutritional info at the bottom...

Double Chocolate Brownies
    Ingredients
    1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    4 egg whites
    1 cup sugar
    1/4 cup unbleached, all-purpose flour
    1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
    1/2 teaspoon instant espresso powder
    1/2 teaspoon baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/4 cup mini chocolate chips (semi-sweet)
    Butter-flavored cooking spray

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray an 8x8 inch non-stick cake pan with spray.

In a medium mixing bowl, using a sturdy whisk or spatula, mix the applesauce, vanilla, egg whites and sugar until they are well combined.

Add the flour, cocoa powder, espresso powder, baking powder, and salt. Stir the mixture until it is just combined and no lumps remain. Pour it into the prepared pan. Sprinkle the chips evenly over the top. Bake the brownies for 20-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out dry (a few crumbs are okay).

Transfer the pan to a cooling rack and allow them to cool 5 minutes. Cut into 12 equal brownies. Makes 12 (1 brownie) servings.

Each brownie has: 88 calories, 2 g protein, 19 g carbohydrates, 1 g fat, less than 1 g saturated fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 1 g fiber, 133 mg sodium

Traditional Double Chocolate Brownies have: 260 calories, 3 g protein, 37 g carbohydrates, 12 g fat, 3 g saturated fat, 15 mg cholesterol, 1 g fiber, 165 mg sodium

I entered all of the info into the food database so if you try them and want to log it search under Healthy Indulgence double chocolate brownies...
  • JessicaDeering
    JessicaDeering Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hey thanks! My friends and I are always looking for good recipes that are also low in calories.
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    88 calorie brownies. Holy cow, I'll have to make some of those! Thank you for the recipe. :happy:
  • marleyjazz
    marleyjazz Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Yummy, These sound amazing. Cant wait to try them out. I am always looking for low cal, low fat snacks that my husband will enjoy as much as I can.(knowing that I am not blowing my calorie intake!)
    Thanks!!!
  • Healthier_Me
    Healthier_Me Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    My girls and I made these todday and let me tell you... they are soooo yummy!!
    I did not have mini chocolate chips so I just minced up some white chocolate chips & left out the espresso powder b/c we didn't have any.
    I will definitely make these again.

~Joanna:flowerforyou:
  • neome90
    neome90 Posts: 420
    Options
    Hey Thanks!!!! Brownies have always been one of my favorite deserts. Now I have the oppertunity to enjoy them without all the guilt ! :smile:
  • elatoria
    elatoria Posts: 30
    Options
    i made these the other day as well. they are sooooooo good! very moist and chocolatey! :tongue:
  • Juliebean
    Juliebean Posts: 317
    Options
    bump :smile:
  • butterjoy
    butterjoy Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I WONDER IF SELF-RISING FLOUR CAN BE USED? :smile:
  • Healthier_Me
    Options
    I WONDER IF SELF-RISING FLOUR CAN BE USED? :smile:
    Go ahead and try it:laugh:
  • johnsscarlett
    johnsscarlett Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    These sound so Good! I'm going to try them but add some walnuts. I know it will increase the calorie count but what he heck, walnuts are good for you. Right?
  • Healthier_Me
    Options
    These sound so Good! I'm going to try them but add some walnuts. I know it will increase the calorie count but what he heck, walnuts are good for you. Right?
    Oh yeah... go for it!
    What's a brownie w/o walnuts?:happy:

~Joanna:flowerforyou:
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    I love how this post has gotten 734 views!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • Healthier_Me
    Options
    Well, duh!
    88 cal brownies should get some fame!:laugh:
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    I made these last night and they were good! I mean, not the best brownie I have ever had, but for 88 cals each and 1 g fat.....they hit the spot! :) I might try different things like instead of vanilla, maybe put in a mint extract or something like that! MMMMM!!!

I actually saved enough calories to have 2 of them! hehe I knew I wouldn't be able to stop at one. My hubby tried one and even he said "mmmm". So thats huge since he is almost 6'4" and thin and rarely has to worry about weight!!!
  • Healthier_Me
    Options
    I made these last night and they were good! I mean, not the best brownie I have ever had, but for 88 cals each and 1 g fat.....they hit the spot! :) I might try different things like instead of vanilla, maybe put in a mint extract or something like that! MMMMM!!!

I actually saved enough calories to have 2 of them! hehe I knew I wouldn't be able to stop at one. My hubby tried one and even he said "mmmm". So thats huge since he is almost 6'4" and thin and rarely has to worry about weight!!!
    I agree.. not the bestest but ya can't beat 88 cals :bigsmile:
  • chubbymexicanswife
    Options
    Can't wait to try these...
  • soup78
    soup78 Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    Oooooooh, YUM! I made these bad boys last night and I am in LOVE! :love:

I tweaked the recipe just a bit, using egg beaters instead of egg whites(pretty much the same thing, I think) and I couldn't find espresso powder anywhere (here in the country...) so i took TamTastics idea with the mint extract. Used 1/2 tsp of mint ext., WOW that is potent stuff! Not to worry, though, this was the perfect amount. Thanks for the idea, TamTastic!

Funny thing, I told my boyfriend I'd make him "regular" brownies if he didn't like 'em but there's no need!!! I think I will anyways so he doesn't eat 'em all :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

AWESOME recipe, thanks!!!:bigsmile:
  • Vans
    Vans Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    ooh dear...im drooling!! haha ill have to try this out!!
  • MumOfADuo
    MumOfADuo Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Save...sounds delicious..
    I will have to dig out my weight watcher black bean brownie recipe...I know it SOUNDS awful, but really good actually....and yes, you puree the beans first so you dont bite into a huge bean Ü