Brand New to IIFYM :)

Options
Hey all :D I'm brand new to IIFYM. I've always wanted to lose about 7% body fat (I'm 5'0" 120 pounds and currently at 27%) and I've tried the whole "1200 calories run everyday" thing and it didn't work out--I was STARVING and lightheaded all day. My cousin is a personal trainer and he recommended that I eat 1560 cal. a day, 137 g protein, 69 g fat, and 97 g carbs. I am a vegetarian so it's been a little difficult staying under the carb limit that he suggested. I decided to calculate my macros on the IIFYM website, and they are much different from his suggestion (1486 cal 143 g carbs, 120 g protein, and 48 g fat). Because my main goal is to lose fat, I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for which plan I should be following. I'm weight training about 2 times a week and circuit training (with weights) the other 2 or 3 times a week. I would love your suggestions! I've been following his plan for about 2 weeks and haven't seen a budge in weight at all, but I'm nervous to start a plan with so many carbs.

Thanks in advance :)
xoxo Nikki

Replies

• ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    In general you need at least 1 gram of protein per pound of LBM (or .8 grams per pound of body weight if you don't know your body fat percentage) and .35 grams of fat per pound of body weight. The rest can be carbs. Both protein goals seem high to me. I'm 5'4" 125 lbs, 18-19% body fat and I aim to eat around 100 grams of protein per day.

edit: as for weight loss-- are you using a food scale?
  • alonsonicole
    Options
    Yes, I actually just got one and I've been using it this week.

I just calculated the protein and fat you suggested and it came out to 99.6 g protein and 42 grams of fat. If i were to stick to 1486 cal. a day like the IIFYM website recommended, I would have 177 g of carbs. This seems pretty high to me, but then again, I'm no expert LOL. Does this seem okay?
  • MagnumBurrito
    MagnumBurrito Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    I would try eating more. I don't know about the vegetarian diet, but Tony Gonzalez who played for the NFL was really fit as a vegetarian. I bet you can find out how he eats with a google search.
  • TheMenaceDenis
    Options
    I actually personally bought the ebook from KrissyMaeCags - and I like my breakdown much better. I had her do my macros, but the ebook itself has the calculation for the macro breakdown so you can do it yourself. I'd say play with your calculations and try to hit the closest ratio that's easiest for you to eat based on your cravings and tastes!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

I just calculated the protein and fat you suggested and it came out to 99.6 g protein and 42 grams of fat. If i were to stick to 1486 cal. a day like the IIFYM website recommended, I would have 177 g of carbs. This seems pretty high to me, but then again, I'm no expert LOL. Does this seem okay?

Seems fine to me. My carbs are set around 230 I think.

Is that supposed to be your TDEE-20%? It seems low.
  • alonsonicole
    Options

Seems fine to me. My carbs are set around 230 I think.

Is that supposed to be your TDEE-20%? It seems low.

It's between 15-20% of my TDEE right now
  • alonsonicole
    Options
    I actually personally bought the ebook from KrissyMaeCags - and I like my breakdown much better. I had her do my macros, but the ebook itself has the calculation for the macro breakdown so you can do it yourself. I'd say play with your calculations and try to hit the closest ratio that's easiest for you to eat based on your cravings and tastes!