How to break bad habits?

Options
I've gotten into the poor habit, of doing really good in the morning and around lunch time, then from about 3pm til dinner I totally sabotage my day. Then proceed to tell myself " I will do better tomorrow!" and repeat the next day. So, any brilliant ideas on how to break the cycle?

My calories are not set too low, 1600-1800, for a half lb. loss a week. I tried doing the 1200 calorie thing but it actually stalled my weight loss. I'm not doing any cardio right now but am doing weight training. I just don't understand why I can't just stick to my plan. It's like, I know what I need to do, and I know *I* control what I eat. But there's some kind of stupid emotional block there.

I don't want to give up. I want to keep going. I just need ideas?

Replies

• mom22nteaching
    mom22nteaching Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Great post. I need help with this too. Can't wait to see all the great ideas.
  • KariOrtiz2014
    KariOrtiz2014 Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    They say it takes 21-30 days to form a habit.
    It seems that's not entirely correct, but for a lot of people in regards to this sort of things it's often even shorter.

So if you can force yourself to make a REAL effort for a few weeks, you'll likely carry on.

Have you tried pre-logging food and seeing if you can force yourself to stick to that?

I find eating between 1-9pm only (leangains style) allows me to control what I eat much better.
  • KoopaSix
    KoopaSix Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    You have to really, sincerely want to do it. To the point that unplanned cheating isn't even an option. Cheating isn't even in your vocabulary (unless planned). Habits are tough to break..everyone struggles with them. I have dipped chewing tobacco for the past 7 years and is a habit I am desperately trying to kick. Slowly but surely with the support of my fiance I am kicking it. Everyone has their evils to deal with. As far as diet from my experience in being an ex fatty, you have to really really want to do it.
  • jessrainsb
    jessrainsb Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Well, I started back in January, and was doing really good, lost 12 lbs. But then my birthday rolled around, and I allowed myself "one day". Then that one day turned into a vicious cycle.

I have tried pre-logging, because it's worked for me before. Not so much today. Maybe I just need to keep plugging on and hope it will finally stick one day.

CptnSpaz- I think that is part of the problem. Sometimes I think, " Why can't I just be happy the way I am?" I'm not THAT overweight, my goal is only 15 lbs away, then I eat, then I wonder why I just did that. Why it's so hard for me to just stick to something. I don't know...
  • Loganb96
    Loganb96 Posts: 1
    Options
    same thing here post anything that might help break those habits please?
  • KoopaSix
    KoopaSix Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    No one can motivate you but YOU. There will be "food terrorists" all around you..im approached by them on the daily. You need self control and no one can give that to you but you. As soon as you learn self control changes can begin. Just so you know it "can be done"

download_zpse0c8844a.jpg
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Is there anything you could set a goal for?

I work much better towards a goal - my usual one is getting to the point I can wander around Glastonbury Festival tshirtless without worry of disgusting people too much :).

I put on a load of weight in the last summer - part of it in my case was because I knew I could lose it again.
    But also for a while because I wasn't putting on any more weight - it seems the fairly short cycling commute and occasional other cycling was burning more calories that I expected as the scales kept NOT going up so when I told myself "I'll weigh in and be horrified", I wasn't. Then I didn't have the commute and kept eating.
    I kept saying "diet starts tomorrow/next week", but it's so easy to keep eating for me.
    Forget what made me actually do it this time, but pretty sure the scales at 216 helped, when a year before they had been 160!

For me, doing exercise to 'earn' food works well. I'll generally make sure I have enough protein on non-weights day before any exercise, then if going for a run or similar, I'll know I can happily have some nice food after and be at my intended deficit.

Also, of course, eating the right foods - at the moment I'm going for salad stuff a fair bit.
    It's not logged with it, but I had 500g of lean ground beef (600 calories) and with that probably the same again in size of lettuce and tomato mixed up, with a little light dressing. That's a pretty filling meal in the end. (Lets ignore the cake bar and pear that I had after which weren't logged because I was busy - to be fair I also did a load of cycling around town too that wasn't logged either.)
  • puckit61
    puckit61 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    This may not work for you and may be completely irrelevant to your situation, but for me It's kind of a boredom thing. 2-5 pm is the down part of my day so I find that if I'm not completely occupied, I just want to eat. I might not necessarily feel hungry, but I want to eat and eat everything. It helps if take a long walk. It uses up that down time and my mind doesn't wander towards food at all. It also allows me to hold off until dinner :)
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    Are you eating because you are bored or hungry? What are the emotions behind it? I used to eat when I was bored at that time of the day. Then I replaced that behavior with exercise. Or are you thirsty?

If you are still at work that time of day take healthy snacks of vegetables, they are crunchy and filling while being low in calories. If you need sweets try some fruit that you packed the night before.

I still think the key is to figure out why you lose control, that will give you the upper hand in solving the problem. Once you figure out the why you can come up with a solution. I now must exercise at that time of day. That's the time of day I feel the most anxious for some reason.
  • JG762
    JG762 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    It's not that hard, in my opinion the key is to be honest with yourself.
    I got the way I am by doing exactly what the OP said that she does, (make deals with yourself about tomorrow) when you get to that point you need to start making deals with yourself about TODAY and doing what is right and it will make you much happier. Once you are able to be honest with yourself and carry through with your goals the first day, the next day will be a bit easier and the day after that easier too.
    No tricks, no magic pills, just be honest with yourself about what you need to do.
    Good luck.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    There's no magic trick. Sorry. Log everything, and make sure to 'complete' your diary at the end of the day. The red numbers should help motivate you. Bottom line is, you have to want it badly enough to stop sabotaging yourself.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    1. when you want to eat drink a glass of water instead.
    2. get rid of the source- if you are at work then don't bring extra food to snack on. Keep snack foods you don't really need out of the house. If you are at home and cant resist the temptation then put a goal or a "before" picture on the fridge or panty or wherever you are getting your food from to make you think twice.
    3. Stay busy or workout. Less likely to eat when your mind is on other things and working out usually suppresses your appetite for a bit.
    4. Plan on snacking and account for your snacks in your daily goal. This means smaller meals but more often.

Hopefully something in there was helpful, good luck!
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    Shake it up… change your early day calories to lower calorie choices. Pair off 200 calories and turn that into a snack in the afternoon…even a 300 or 400 calorie snack. Kick up your work out an extra 10 minutes also.

kick this bad habits *kitten*! one way or another. You can do it.
  • yolohunter
    yolohunter Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I have had the same issue with binging- definitely an emotional thing for me. And then I think I finally hit rock bottom, which somehow got me to snap out of my previous mental state and decide that I want to take control and change my habits asap. Now I have a much higher level of focus than I've had in past attempts to change. What helped me was finding what goal or source of motivation will stick with me to make the motivation last, and then finding a way to remind myself of it everyday, maybe even multiple times per day.

I know once I get consistently back into the healthy lifestyle habit I will be balanced again mentally and won't feel the need to binge or at least be able to control it way better than before. My motivation was reading a study that said the actual time it takes to develop a new habit is 66 days- not sure if that's true but it sounds good to me! So that's my new goal that has been helping me stay focused- make it a 66 day streak of being within my calorie goal on MFP! And now that I've started the streak I remind myself several times per day that I don't want to have to start the streak over again because of a binge before I hit 66 days- I just want to keep going because I really do think that 66 days will be enough time for me to get back into my healthy lifestyle habit, get back my control, and then I'll work on maintaining that habit.

Also, this article about self-sabotage helped me understand a lot about myself and the reasons why I binge, which helped reduce the emotional block I had towards sticking to my goals:
    http://www.positivehealth.com/article/holistic-psychotherapy/freedom-from-self-sabotage-fulfilling-your-potential
  • jessrainsb
    jessrainsb Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the support and advice. I do think boredom may have something to do with it. Tomorrow I am going to try to keep myself busy during that time frame and see if it helps.
  • bluntlysally
    bluntlysally Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    read this...

"The Power of Habit: Why We Do What We Do in Life and Business" by Charles Duhigg
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/081298160X

i have recommended it to many people for different reasons. highly recommend it!!
  • jaabee11
    jaabee11 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    If that's your weak time then eat then. Don't fight it but allow for it. Fighting gets so frustrating then a vicious circle. Take some calories from the rest of your day, use them when your weakest. Try to eat something protein as it does fill you up more but if it's a boredom thing or depression thing go with whatever works. Keep it in your calorie allowance though. You'll be surprised when you start to work with it instead of against it how quickly things will change in your thinking. It's the thinking that needs changing for all of us before we can really change the eating. Good luck
  • FitnessChelsey
    Options
    Plan your entire days worth of meals in advance! I cannot express how much this helped me. Make sure you are eating nutrient rich foods that will keep you satisfied longer :)
  • yewbic
    yewbic Posts: 37
    Options
    Well, I started back in January, and was doing really good, lost 12 lbs. But then my birthday rolled around, and I allowed myself "one day". Then that one day turned into a vicious cycle.

I think it's healthy to allow yourself a cheat day or two per week -- I think it can help keep you on track knowing that theres a day or two coming up when you'll be able to eat anything you want. Besides satisfying your cravings, I think the cheat days can also help in re-assuring your metabolism that you're not starving and prevent it from slowing down.

i've read that sometimes when you think you're hungry, it could be that you're just thirsty.. and instead of just drinking only water throughout day, I enjoy drinking tea as well. black tea, white tea, green tea, oolong, chai, it's all good :)