When do you log your food?

Options

Replies

• theocine
    theocine Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I'm a log as you go person. I have it on a tablet and my home computer, of course - but can't always get the log correct when i'm out and about. Then I just log as well as I can figure or make Food Notes and then update when I get home.. To me it's an important part of mindful eating - to pay attention to the numbers as I eat. Do the numbers taste good? or are they not worth it?
  • ElisaGutierrez26
    Options
    i log right before i eat and sometimes a i try to pre log what i would be eating through out the day
  • pangepange
    pangepange Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I try to log breakfast and lunch before I leave for work since I usually pack and bring my lunch to work. I like to know how much I've eaten before prepping and serving dinner.

When I snack, I log before or during. Sometimes it makes me change my mind or my portion when I see the damage, haha.
  • Pants2fit
    Pants2fit Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I typically log my breakfast and lunch while I am eating it :) I most often prelog my dinner to see how much I can have and how much I need to save for dessert :)
  • stonehedge_4
    Options
    I like to log my meals as I go, at work it just taking the time during lunch. I am usually bad :ohwell: about tracking dinner but working on that :smile:
  • AwesomeGuy37
    AwesomeGuy37 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Do you log it before you eat it? Right after you've eaten? At the end of the day?

Yes. Yes. Yes.

Edit: ..and sometimes while I eat.
  • ChrysalisCove
    ChrysalisCove Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    I always log before I eat, to check that I have the space & that it fits my macros. On work days I log breakfast, lunch & snacks the night before so I know what to pack & what I'll need more of at dinner time.
  • lindseyas1
    lindseyas1 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I log breakfast, lunch, and snacks for the day the night before when I make my lunch to take to work. I like doing it that way because then at night, when I'm craving a "real" meal or a glass of wine, I know exactly how many extra calories I have left. The exception to that is if I know I'll be going out that night. Then I do the opposite, knowing I'll probably eat or drink more than normal. I've been pretty successful staying close to my goal that way, even when on vacation last weekend.
  • stormbornkraken
    stormbornkraken Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Ideally before hand or during as to have an update account.
  • jac_84
    jac_84 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    usually when Im eating it lol or right after so I dont forget
  • Gingerspice45
    Gingerspice45 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I prelog the things Ive already planned out to eat and then log things like snacks and unplanned things after I eat them.
  • toshtip
    toshtip Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    ... still in the honeymoon phase (1 week in) - but I am logging as soon afterwards as possible. As others have said, it lets me know "what / how much" I have left as the day progresses... and if I am projected to be waaaaayyy under on something (protein, etc.).

I obviously don't pre-plan as many apparently do (lacking discipline) & I know I can't wait until the end of the day, lest I forget damn near everything.

BTW - I LOVE the barcode scanning app! It is like a personal challenge for nerds!
  • jacquiearchambault
    jacquiearchambault Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I log most of my food the night before so I have a Plan on what I am going to eat and I can control myself. It changes sometimes and that's ok. I am more conscious of what I put in my mouth this way
  • lesteidel
    lesteidel Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    In the morning before I eat a single bite.

I make changes though out the day as I need to.

Logging after I eat usually means I will eat too much and not realize until after it's already in my body
  • rubydrm
    rubydrm Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to log my food at the beginning of the day to keep better control of myself throughout the day. So far it's worked, but it's really hard sometimes. Otherwise, I usually check my numbers on here before I eat to gauge how much I can eat of what, then I log after.
  • Eric_DeCastro
    Eric_DeCastro Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I have been told, "when you bite, you write."
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    I don't really have a set time, just do it when I remember.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Always at the end of the day. Logging before would spoil the surprise.
  • AlysonG2
    AlysonG2 Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    I log first thing in the morning for the whole day. That way there's no guessing, and I can pre-plan my snacks.
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    Usually as I'm eating it. Weird, I know. Sometimes I can't log until late at night. I hate that because I can't accurately keep track of my calories.