Subway sandwiches

Options
I been really good eating smaller meals and staying away from from fast food, but we had subway tonight and i had adominal pain, like if i ate brownies all over again, i was just wondering if anyone had any ideas why. I thought that subway was healthier choice than other fast food joints

Replies

• Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    I'd say its definitely not the worst take away food out there. Do you eat bread at home a lot?

I've recently had to give bread up :sad: For me it triggers my IBS which includes bad abdominal cramping. Just a thought it could maybe be something similar.

*Edited for missing out the word "not" originally Doh!
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    No idea. Hard to point to anything based on an isolated incident.
  • Blacklance36
    Blacklance36 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    What did you eat, what toppings?
  • cheripugh1
    cheripugh1 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I been really good eating smaller meals and staying away from from fast food, but we had subway tonight and i had adominal pain, like if i ate brownies all over again, i was just wondering if anyone had any ideas why. I thought that subway was healthier choice than other fast food joints

the abdominal pain could have been caused by any number of things... the bread choice, any oils? certain veggies or meat choices or sauce? depends on which one you had. Subway can be a healthy choice but you have to be careful in what you choose.

I'm sorry meant to say, write down what all was on it and then see what was different from your normal diet and that most likely caused your issue.
  • GardenOfSongs
    GardenOfSongs Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    A lot of things can randomly trigger abdominal pain, I find - my flatmate had issues when she ate a whole bunch of vegetables once, and yesterday and today I've had way more protein than normal and my gut is not happy! Give your body time to adjust to changes and then assess whether you think a certain food is a problem.
  • cns94
    cns94 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    This might be why: http://www.hangthebankers.com/the-subway-deception/

I have not eaten subway since. Nor will I eat it again. This whole time I thought subway was healthy.
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    Sometimes gas happens.
  • vaporhockey83
    vaporhockey83 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I have IBS and if I have too much bread (especially wheat), it usually results in immense bloating and all the other fun stuff. The only other thought I had was you mention eating small meals. Did you have the foot long or the 6"? While my acid reflux has gone away with small frequent meals and losing weight, if I eat quite a bit more for one of those meals, I get pains and bloating. If it was more food than you usually eat, perhaps that caused the discomfort. As mentioned above, hard to pinpoint in just a single incident. Could be anything. I'd also suggest "gutting" some of the bread (I think the sandwich maker will even do it for you...knew someone who worked there).
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Subway CAN be healthy. It depends on what you get. I personally get a 6 inch 9 grain wheat turkey, no cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers, olives, and a little vinegar. Sometimes I add 2 slices of bacon.

What did you order? The abdominal pain could've just been gas. Or maybe you had to poop.
  • wheird
    Options

I have not eaten subway since. Nor will I eat it again. This whole time I thought subway was healthy.

• Jadichick
    Jadichick Posts: 13
    Options
    Your body has got used to 'cleaner' unprocessed foods. So eating Subway is hard for your stomach to digest as it's VERY processed. Look at the bread from Subway , it looks very synthetic. When I went into a Subway once, I asked the server which Sandwich would be the best for me as a dieter and he told me 'None' . He whispered to me that all the Sandwiches were very high in fat and calories and that it wasn't true the claims that Subway were making that their food wasn't as bad as other fast food joints etc. Of course I left very quickly! So, I'm not surprised you had stomach cramps !
  • uconnwinsnc
    uconnwinsnc Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    My friend who worked there told me some stories about that place....

Fun fact: The wheat bread (you know, the brown "healthier" option) is just their regular white bread with food coloring in it.
  • wheird
    Options
    Your body has got used to 'cleaner' unprocessed foods. So eating Subway is hard for your stomach to digest as it's VERY processed. Look at the bread from Subway , it looks very synthetic. When I went into a Subway once, I asked the server which Sandwich would be the best for me as a dieter and he told me 'None' . He whispered to me that all the Sandwiches were very high in fat and calories and that it wasn't true the claims that Subway were making that their food wasn't as bad as other fast food joints etc. Of course I left very quickly! So, I'm not surprised you had stomach cramps !

I doubt this ever happened. Also, lets say it did. The sandwich artist would be privy to....what, exactly?
  • Blacklance36
    Blacklance36 Posts: 755 Member
    Options

I doubt this ever happened. Also, lets say it did. The sandwich artist would be privy to....what, exactly?

But the sever said it in a whisper!
  • MystikPixie
    MystikPixie Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    My friend who worked there told me some stories about that place....

Fun fact: The wheat bread (you know, the brown "healthier" option) is just their regular white bread with food coloring in it.
    False. That 'fun fact' is actually not true.

Also, like with any place you eat, it depends on what you get. If you got a meatball sub thinking it was going to go through you smoothly then there's your problem.
  • TheSlorax
    TheSlorax Posts: 2,401 Member
    Options
    OP.... I looked at your diary. I'm guessing you had a 1,070 calorie sandwich based on your quick add of those calories for dinner today. All of your other meals average around 200-300 calories. You are a foot long sandwich, chips, and a cookie after eating very very small meals for a while and you are wondering why you have abdominal discomfort? Am I understanding this correctly?

I guess it must have been the evil synthetic food dyed bread that did it...
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    Sometimes gas happens.
    :smile:
  • 1PatientBear
    1PatientBear Posts: 2,089 Member
    Options

That article was quoted from this article: http://www.naturalnews.com/039308_Subway_deception_food_additives.html#

The author of that original article includes the following in his bio (at the bottom of the page): "After taking the organic sulfur crystals (they are harvested from the pine trees in Louisiana) in November of 2008 for 10 days my asthma reversed and has not come back over 4 years later, 18 cases, so far, of autism have been reversed, as has cancer, Alzheimer's and Parkinson's disease, osteoarthritis, joint pain, astigmatism, gum disease, increased sexual activity, heavy metal and radiation elimination, parasite elimination, free radicals elimination, faster athletic recovery time, increased blood circulation, reduced inflammation, resistance to getting the flu, reduction of wrinkles, allergy reduction, reduced PMS and monthly period pain, nausea, migraines and so much more."

Organic sulfur crystals cure EVERYTHING. Seems legit. Sorry if I don't really buy any of the rest of his theories.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    OP.... I looked at your diary. I'm guessing you had a 1,070 calorie sandwich based on your quick add of those calories for dinner today. All of your other meals average around 200-300 calories. You are a foot long sandwich, chips, and a cookie after eating very very small meals for a while and you are wondering why you have abdominal discomfort? Am I understanding this correctly?

I guess it must have been the evil synthetic food dyed bread that did it...

:laugh:

Y U SO SMART!
  • HawkeyeTy
    HawkeyeTy Posts: 681 Member
    Options

So.....