Advice on how to handle vacation

Options
I am going to the beach for 5 days! Part of what I enjoy on the beach is fruity frozen alcoholic drinks and ice cream at the end of the day. Anyone have any strategies on how to fit that into my daily calories? The last evening, I'm going on a date night DH and just going let that be my splurge day, but I would like to maintain the other 4 days. The good news is that I do have a kitchenette in my room with some basic groceries for breakfast. The bad news is that I weigh only 112 lbs. with 24% body fat so there are not a lot of calories to play with. Plus, I'm mostly lounging but do try to go for a quick 3 mile run in the morning.

Any pointers? What works for you? It's taken me 6 months to lose 6 lbs. so I want to minimize any gain bc it will take me a long time to lose it again.

Replies

• ashenriver
    ashenriver Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    For 1 week I wouldn't worry about it. At the most you could gain 1 lb of fat over the week. Make mostly sensible choices and enjoy the drinks and ice cream.

I went to an all inclusive a month ago, I ate and drank what I wanted, and I didn't gain anything.
    Keep in mind you may have a temporary gain when you come back, so don't weigh yourself until a week later.

At 112lbs you may want to look into body recomposition instead of actual weight loss. At this point it would be more about inches lost then pounds loss. (you may be doing that already, if so please disregard my suggestion.) Look into weight lifting or strength training and see if it would interest you.
  • MystikPixie
    MystikPixie Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    It's vacation! Don't worry about dieting and enjoy yourself. One week means nothing in the long run.
  • Gingerspice45
    Gingerspice45 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Since it is one week I would just have fun. You'll come right back down after the vacation.
  • smithed812
    smithed812 Posts: 289
    Options
    Vacation is the time to let loose and enjoy yourself! I tried counting calories the first half of my last vacation and it was miserable. I might have gained a couple pounds after I stopped, but they were worth it. Just enjoy yourself and get back on track when you're back home in your regular routine :)
  • Sunbrooke
    Sunbrooke Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Last year when my husband and I went to Vegas, we stocked out mini fridge with a veggie tray, wholly guacamole packets, some whole wheat wraps, spinach, deli meat, fresh strawberries and grapes, and salsa for chips. It was nice to have something some what healthy to snack on. These snack weren't chore. It was just nice to have something yummy and fresh available if we had the munches, or didn't want to get up for breakfast. We spent a little money to buy the stuff, but I'm sure we saved on room service.
  • ashleearoha
    ashleearoha Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I was 19% body fat when I went away on holidays to America and Japan for a couple of weeks and I came back with 26% body fat..
    I think its okay to let yourself have the occasional treat but not everyday while away.. and I was snowboarding every day too! But I think I have a crappy metabolism.
  • ksolsberg
    ksolsberg Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I've only been on MFP 2 months (lost 13 though) and just took a 1 week beach vacation. I didn't worry about it, but I didn't go crazy either. We did pack snacks, lunch and alcoholic beverages for the beach and ate out for dinner. I only gained 3 lbs. So happy with that, then lost those 3 lbs in less than 5 days back.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Too risky, you should just stay home.