I'M NOT A FAN OF VEGGIES, HELP !!!!!!

Options
So I'm in the process of trying to learn how to do clean eating, I've literally been on youtube for hours looking up different recipes and a lot of it has veggies and I've told my mom that I would like to get into trying them hoping that I would like them lol .

If you have any great clean meals can you let me know what they are, and what they include so I can try different things little by little rather than jumping straight into raw foods, please and thank you !!! :D

Replies

• kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    Me either... The only fruit I ever eat is yogurt......
  • JasmineBarri
    Options
    No way ?!?

I LOVE FRUIT !!

It's veggies that I have a problem with ): lol .
  • scroogy
    scroogy Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I LOVE fruit and vegetables so I cannot relate! Are there any veggies that you do like? Any particular way you like them cooked? Anything you like to eat them with? Maybe chopped up in like a slaw? Do you like cole slaw? Hummus? Veggies on your burgers/sandwhiches? I have lots of ideas if I can get an idea of what you can stomach.
  • JasmineBarri
    Options
    I like cucumber, lettuce, tomato ( sometimes ) , and carrots thats about it lol .

Yes please, I would truly appreciate your ideas ! :D
  • silencioesoro
    silencioesoro Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Find the veggie pasta, look at kid fruit/veggie juices. It's what I do with the boyfriend.

I put hummus on my sandwiches and burgers for an extra boost. Sometimes I blend them into foods I cook (as long as it doesn't impact the flavor).
  • kimi80
    kimi80 Posts: 28
    Options
    maybe you could sneak some spinach or kale into a smoothie?
  • JasmineBarri
    Options
    If I do the fruit/veggie juices will that replace the veggies i'm suppose to be eating on my plate, maybe ?
  • JasmineBarri
    Options
    maybe you could sneak some spinach or kale into a smoothie?

In fact I was actually thinking of doing just that, but how much should I add ?

I'm a little new to this so I apologize for asking such silly questions lol .
  • kathynavarro2014
    kathynavarro2014 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Have you tried roasting your vegetables? It honestly changes them up and you might be surprised. I've never been a huge fan of cooked veggies either but I've found that roasting them in my oven has turned me in to a fan of even brussels sprouts.
  • chunkybun
    chunkybun Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Take half a bag of spinach and toss it in a frying pan on medium heat. Let it shrivel into really small pieces. You can then add this to spaghetti sauce, salsa, put onto a burger or sandwich and hardly notice it.
  • kimi80
    kimi80 Posts: 28
    Options
    lol i am too i think like a handful maybe, i haven't tried it yet but am looking forward to it :)
  • JasmineBarri
    Options
    Have you tried roasting your vegetables? It honestly changes them up and you might be surprised. I've never been a huge fan of cooked veggies either but I've found that roasting them in my oven has turned me in to a fan of even brussels sprouts.

No I haven't how can I do that, like what temp, how long what kind of spices can I add or not ?

I just have absolutely NOOOO idea about veggies lol .
  • zorbaru
    zorbaru Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    Me either... The only fruit I ever eat is yogurt......

yoghurt is a fruit now?
  • David_AUS
    David_AUS Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    "Veggies" is a big food group! Wiki has a list here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_culinary_vegetables

Then there is the preparation method and whether you flavoured them in any way. Before you write veggies off entirely consider Preparation methods:

Boiling: Used for mash - potato / Yam / sweet potato or pumpkin.
    Roast: This makes veggies sweeter as it breaks the starches to sugars. Onion, Garlic, Potato (Sweet / traditional), beetroot
    Steamed: eg. Beans, leafy veggies, carrots, asparagus - where you want some crispness left in them and not turned to a limp mess.

Use flavours to your liking: honey or herbs etc...

I would be surprised if you hand on heart cannot find any veggies that you like. Many people think you can only boil them and they ruin them (especially peas - I prefer sweet peas personally :)

Yes you can mash them down into a puree drink - if you do try tomato juice with a touch salt of ground pepper :)
  • zorbaru
    zorbaru Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options

also, if you do roast them, pour some verjuice on them with about 10 - 15 minutes to go. completely changes the flavour of them. i ate pumpkin and mushroom with verjuice. i dont like pumpkin and mushrooms make me gag. the pumpkin was actually nice and i manage to actually swallow the mushroom.
  • JasmineBarri
    Options
    "Veggies" is a big food group! Wiki has a list here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_culinary_vegetables

Then there is the preparation method and whether you flavoured them in any way. Before you write veggies off entirely consider Preparation methods:

Boiling: Used for mash - potato / Yam / sweet potato or pumpkin.
    Roast: This makes veggies sweeter as it breaks the starches to sugars. Onion, Garlic, Potato (Sweet / traditional), beetroot
    Steamed: eg. Beans, leafy veggies, carrots, asparagus - where you want some crispness left in them and not turned to a limp mess.

How long should I boil/roast/steam them ?

Use flavours to your liking: honey or herbs etc...

I would be surprised if you hand on heart cannot find any veggies that you like. Many people think you can only boil them and they ruin them (especially peas - I prefer sweet peas personally :)

Yes you can mash them down into a puree drink - if you do try tomato juice with a touch salt of ground pepper :)
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    Have you heard the term "acquired taste"
    It takes 10 - 12 tries to like something new.
    patience and persistence might be the trick here.

I'm with you on the little-by-little approach.
    1)
    When you change up everything all at once...
    You have to think about everything all the time.

2)
    When you change up everything all at once and stress hits you revert to your old habits.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    put veggies like spinach, kale, carrots, zucchini, cabbage in a food processor to chop up fine and add to meatloaf (if you eat meatloaf)

also there's the just get over it factor. you can retrain your tastebuds
  • David_AUS
    David_AUS Posts: 298 Member
    Options

No I haven't how can I do that, like what temp, how long what kind of spices can I add or not ?

I just have absolutely NOOOO idea about veggies lol .

The quickest roast veggies you can do is sweet potato and onion - yes onion! Oven / BBQ with hood - now this is how I do it 185 deg C (365 F) - coat them with a little oil (I use olive oil but you can use butter or any even vegetable oil) you can salt them a little and sprinkle with herbs. If you have a roasting tray with rack place them on this and oven for around 20 - 30 mins or until you notice the sweet potato starting to go a little brown from roasting - dead simple. Do the onions whole and the sweet potato 2 inch chunks.

For normal potatoes I generally cheat a little - I microwave them first in a microwave bowl with lid (vented) with a little oil (I use olive oil) until they are partially cooked (you don't want them falling apart) maybe like 5 - 10 mins. Once "hot" I add herbs / salt to taste and shake the potatoes (just circular rotations on the bench is fine you just want to coat the potatoes with the oil and salt / herbs) - caution they are hot :) This also ruffs up the potato for a more crispy

Same as above on an oven roast rack / tray but a little longer say 35mins at 365 F or until you see browning. If they are firm when you eat them roast for longer next time they should be fluffy on the inside.
  • JasmineBarri
    Options
    put veggies like spinach, kale, carrots, zucchini, cabbage in a food processor to chop up fine and add to meatloaf (if you eat meatloaf)

also there's the just get over it factor. you can retrain your tastebuds

all of that into the meatloaf ?

that does sound a bit yummy :p