Kinesiotape?

Options
Kinesiotape. has anyone out there used this tape? Would love to hear your thoughts/experiences.

I am experiencing some issues with my shins and arch of my right foot. A friend who is a Physio recommended that I give it a try, she has just completed K1&K2 of the course (and is based at home in the UK, so can't offer me the treatment) and says it's a great treatment. It can be used for supporting injured muscles, ligaments, tendons, joints to speed up recovery and repair. It apparently also helps lymphatic drainage of swelling and bruising.

Looking for anyone who has tried and tested the Kinesiotape.

Thanks

Replies

• 2boo2
    2boo2 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    highly recommend Rocktape.
    I have pulled both calves, have tendonitis and bursitis on both shoulders, and carpal tunnel. With Rocktape, I still workout hard 6-7 times a week. No problem w/ doing 100-150 pull ups in one training session w/ the Rocktape.

Workouts: heaving lifting, swim, bike, run, crossfit.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I had it on my shoulder- once with- once without after a session of A.R.T. (extremely uncomfortable tissue massage stuff). I was pretty none plus about it- I don't- if I"m honest with myself- think it helped significantly one way or the other.

I have heard both arguments for and against it- I think I preferred it-mentally having it there- even for just bringing awareness to it and that helped me baby it more. I wouldn't go out of my way for it- but it's 10 bucks of moral support that MAY actually help- I'm all about it.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    I don't have the link at hand, but a recent study indicated that kinesiotape had no benefit. Having said that, I know a lot of physical therapists believe in it and there is some anecdotal evidence of benefit. And, there is always more research to be done.

But for now, the score is: research 1 kinesiotape 0
  • IWILLBelieveAchieveInspire
    Options
    I bought KT Pro tape several months back when i was doing the C25K training. I was having terrible IT band issues. For me it did help with the pain IF it stayed on. It just made the area feel more 'supported' for a lack of a better word. Not sure if it was in my head but it did work. I can't tell you how many times within a few minutes of working out the edges were already coming up. Totally pissed me off because that tape isn't cheap around here. Anyhow, with a lot of experimentation i finally got it to stick for my workout but once i showered it quickly would come off. So what i did was make sure my skin was really clean, no creams/lotions, sprayed it with an adhesive, waited a few seconds and then applied the tape. Applying pressure on it at that point. Make sure not to pull the tape too tightly or it will fall off. I really don't know how athletes use this tape for long hours like marathons because it would never stick for more than a hour and a half for me.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I had mine on my shoulder for 3 days. Showers and all.
  • kitkatbar972
    Options
    Absolutely. I've used it for ankle and knee issues (what's up years of gymnastics and basketball!) and it definitely helps, though I'd recommend PT at the same time as well.
  • TheGymGypsy
    TheGymGypsy Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    KT tape is a lifesaver. It helped me through runner's knee and turf toe. It's definitely worth a shot, you have nothing to lose!
    Options
    I had mine on my shoulder for 3 days. Showers and all.

Wow! I don't know what i was doing wrong. ;(
  • Helenca76
    Helenca76 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    highly recommend Rocktape.
    I have pulled both calves, have tendonitis and bursitis on both shoulders, and carpal tunnel. With Rocktape, I still workout hard 6-7 times a week. No problem w/ doing 100-150 pull ups in one training session w/ the Rocktape.

Workouts: heaving lifting, swim, bike, run, crossfit.

Will take a look and see if I can get that here. Thanks
  • Helenca76
    Helenca76 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I bought KT Pro tape several months back when i was doing the C25K training. I was having terrible IT band issues. For me it did help with the pain IF it stayed on. It just made the area feel more 'supported' for a lack of a better word. Not sure if it was in my head but it did work. I can't tell you how many times within a few minutes of working out the edges were already coming up. Totally pissed me off because that tape isn't cheap around here. Anyhow, with a lot of experimentation i finally got it to stick for my workout but once i showered it quickly would come off. So what i did was make sure my skin was really clean, no creams/lotions, sprayed it with an adhesive, waited a few seconds and then applied the tape. Applying pressure on it at that point. Make sure not to pull the tape too tightly or it will fall off. I really don't know how athletes use this tape for long hours like marathons because it would never stick for more than a hour and a half for me.

This may mean it's no good for me then, I live in the Middle East, temps are up around 33 degrees already and sweating profusely is gonna mean it may not stick? Thanks for your input.
    Options

This may mean it's no good for me then, I live in the Middle East, temps are up around 33 degrees already and sweating profusely is gonna mean it may not stick? Thanks for your input.

It's very possible it won't stick. I just have a heck of a time with it staying on. My husband had the same problem. He runs marathons and tends to sweat a lot during a workout. Within minutes it was coming off him too. He has a co worker that had the same problem when she used it. So, I don't know what we are doing wrong or if it's just the tape but it was a headache to keep on. That being said, I see these pro athletes using it and it seems to stay on so I have no idea how they get the tape to stick properly.
  • auntdeedee87
    auntdeedee87 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    I'm a fan. My physical therapist taped my upper back several times when I was having tension after a wreck. It worked wonderfully when nothing else helped.
  • 2boo2
    2boo2 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    i have tried KT tape and Rocktape. Rocktape stays on longer (several days). KT tape falls off quickly.
    I have used Rocktape swimming and it did not come off!!!
  • grammyjay
    grammyjay Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Yes! My physical therapist had put it on me as part of my treatment for tennis elbow. The tape is amazing and really works if applied right. The Rock Tape is the best but I have also used the other one you can get a CVS ect.. I think called KT tape. You can watch you tube to find out how to apply it correctly. I highly recommend it!