Which Comes First, Cardio or Weight Training?

Options
My primary goal is to lose body fat (baby weight) and keep my heart healthy. However, I am told I need to add weight training to my daily cardio or I lose muscle mass. Which exercise should I do first, cardio or weight training (when doing both in the same day)? Also, should I have an "Upper Body Day" and a "Leg Day" and a "Stomach Day"?

Replies

• heatblair
    heatblair Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I've done a Google search and I get conflicting answers. Some say the best way to burn fat is cardio first and some say weight training first.
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    My primary goal is to lose body fat (baby weight) and keep my heart healthy. However, I am told I need to add weight training to my daily cardio or I lose muscle mass. Which exercise should I do first, cardio or weight training (when doing both in the same day)? Also, should I have an "Upper Body Day" and a "Leg Day" and a "Stomach Day"?

Always a lot of conflicting answers. If doing both on the same day, a lot of us suggest doing the weights first before doing the cardio. If I have a double booked for a day, I always try to do about 5 - 10 minutes of light cardio to warm up before hitting the weights. You want as much strength and energy as possible to do the lifts. If you did your cardio first, your energy might be depleted - hence the recommendation to do weights first.

Another way is to construct your week so your lifting days stand alone by themselves, as do the cardio days. That's pretty much how I try to build my weeks so I can give 100% to both.
  • heatblair
    heatblair Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thanks!
  • taylormcc311
    Options
    My understanding is to weight training first to deplete as much glycogen as possible. Then go to long duration cardio and your body turns to fat stores for energy. I've had a lot of success with interval training for 20-25 minutes then a nice long bike ride at about 65% max heart rate.
  • Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Generally I saw if you're more focused on getting stronger and building or maintaining muscle than you should do the weight lifting first. And if you're more focused on building your cardiovascular endurance or just burning a lot of calories than you should do your cardio first.

Also, if I do cardio first I get too sweaty and have to clean up everything I touch afterwards at the gym. But if I do weights first I'm pretty much useless for cardio afterwards.

So I usually just decide by what my goals are at the time. If I'm training for a race or something I'll focus more on cardio and probably do that first. If I'm trying to build muscle I'll focus more on weight lifting and won't do much cardio at all.
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options

Pretty much all of the above answers. I'm no expert ( which is code, for this advice could be useless :blushing: ) But, I do cardio at home, so I don't worry too much, if I get it done a few hours before going to the gym to do resistance training. I do a sort of mandatory 5min warmup on an elliptical or something, then, weights. As someone else said, I don't want to be all sweaty from the cardio when doing weights so that's another reason, to do your cardio after weights, as well as not depleting your strength.

You will find lots of benefits from doing both cardio and weight training. I wish I'd started weight training much sooner than I did.

As for separate body parts days.... it depends on how serious you are about your weight training. If you want to go to the gym almost every day, say 6 days a week, and weight train.... then ( I think ) the common school of thought is to do upper body one day, and legs the next. I was taught that abs / core could generally be done every day. ( I dunno if that applies if you were working your abs hard, though.... ) If you weight train more like every other day, then, you could just do a complete ( full body ) routine, each time.
  • VoodooAborisha
    VoodooAborisha Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Jillian Michaels says to do weights before cardio:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOp6dazlj4c
  • LizL217
    LizL217 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Which exercise should I do first, cardio or weight training (when doing both in the same day)?

Various sources will give you various answers, but I think you should do whichever order enables you to put in the most effort without getting completely drained. Personally, I do weights first because I find that I'm able to lift a lot more and with better/safer form if I'm fresh and not already tired from cardio.
    Also, should I have an "Upper Body Day" and a "Leg Day" and a "Stomach Day"?

When I first started lifting I did the New Rules of Lifting for Women program and then the Stronglifts 5x5 program, both of which are full-body programs that are designed to be done about 3x per week rather than every day. Now that I've been lifting for a while, I do isolated muscle groups which enables me to lift 5-6x per week without exhausting any muscle group. Monday is leg day, Tuesday shoulders & arms, Wednesday chest & back, Thursday abs, Friday legs & back. This seems to work pretty well for me, but I think if you're just starting out with lifting, the programs I mentioned above are great.
  • Anita_hoar12345
    Options
    I heard to do weights first because if you do cardio you drain your energy and can't lift the same weight because your body tires out so you don't get the full benefits of lifting. This could be a load of bull**** I don't know some one who worked at the gym I went to told me this. It could make sense because if you do an hour of spinning then try to do leg weights your legs will feel like jelly and weak. I usually go on the stair master or rowing machine for 5 -10 minutes to warm up then do my weights. I don't do cardio on my weight days because I read on the forums here it makes you burn muscle mass that you just tried to build.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    It depends...if you're working a muscular endurance lifting program it's not really going to matter much. If you're doing a strength program it's going to matter a lot because to maximize your lifts and thus your strength gains you'd want to be fresh...not really a good idea to be crawling underneath a heavy barbell after you've just run 6 miles or something.

I would highly suggest doing an actual program for best results...just willy nilly going in and randomly lifting some weights isn't going to do a whole lot for you. Follow an actual program...it will tell you what lifts to do, when to do them, when to add weight, etc.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    There are reasons for one before the other and can depend on goals, but I would point out, much safer to do weights first as it is harder to keep form if already fatigued from cardio.
  • Of_Monsters_and_Meat
    Of_Monsters_and_Meat Posts: 1,022 Member
    Options
    There are reasons for one before the other and can depend on goals, but I would point out, much safer to do weights first as it is harder to keep form if already fatigued from cardio.

^^^ this. You are going to have a bad day if you drop a weight on yourself. If you get tired doing cardio, you can just stop.
  • hoyalawya2003
    hoyalawya2003 Posts: 631 Member
    Options

ITA with this. I find it very difficult to concentrate on form if I am already spent from cardio. Last week I ran a mile before a weight training class and it was a disaster--I didn't get nearly the benefit from the class that I should have.
  • AleshiaBunting
    AleshiaBunting Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Great programs on www.bodybuilding.com
  • marleezaneshylo
    marleezaneshylo Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Weights first and then a run makes me feel stronger
  • dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    Yeah.

I might do a fast mile (or two) before hitting the weight stack, but anything else elevates lactic acid and makes muscles fatigue faster than they otherwise would during my work sets.

What I recommend is cardio in the morning, strength in the evening (there's interesting science behind this too-- HGH and sleep).

My Soapbox Dept.
    The purpose of weight training, for me, is to improve efficiency, anything more than 8 Rep Maximum sets is not going to help much, if at all, but for starting out, just getting the moves down is more important.
  • stryder77
    stryder77 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I'm not an expert by any means but I've always done my cardio first so that my heart rate stays up during my lifting. I also do intervals when I run so my body continues to burn calories and I continue to sweat for at least 30 min after I finish my workout. I think everyone is going to give you a different answer on this one but I would find what you feel works best for you and do that. You can then shock your system if you plateau and switch your workout around later to shock your body back into losing again.

Just my two cents. :) Good luck and keep on it!