5ft 4 and 30+lbs to lose

Options
How do you know how many calories to eat to lose weight, I try my fitness pal do a week don't lose then give up :-( I'm eating around 1500 calories do you all think this is right?
Anyone with similar hight and weight to lose??

Replies

• beckytcy
    beckytcy Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2" and lost 30 pounds a couple years back. 1500 is a good amount to stick to per day in my opinion. If you track everything you eat vigilantly you should lose weight over time. Be patient! Healthy weight loss should be no more than a pound or two per week at most so you won't see results right away. Keep it up!
  • viglet
    viglet Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I think that a lot of info is needed to really know what your calorie goals should be to drop weight.

I think you need to be consistent for quite some time before you can really know what your body needs. There are a lot of online calculators your can use, a lot of people swear by http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/.

But again, no matter what you do, you need to be consistent to really see results and have the data needed to tweek your goals.

I'd suggest reading this post too,
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

:flowerforyou:
  • NicksWTB
    NicksWTB Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Hi

I'm the same height and have about the same amount to lose. MFP calculations have put me at 1200 a day which is tough going but manageable. I've played around all year trying to lose weight but not really made the commitment I should have done.

I'm going to stick with 1200 a day and see what sort of loss I see. I'm also exercising almost every day, but I'm not eating back my exercise calories.

Like everyone has said, stick with 1500 a day and be consistent.

Good luck, feel free to add me if you like :-)
  • SugarBottomzes
    SugarBottomzes Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3" and I have 30 lbs to lose, too. It has me at 1200 calories a day. I don't eat back my workout calories...I have a hard enough time eating 1200 calories to start with.

It doesn't come off fast. I used to get really discouraged, too, when it had been a week and I had only lost a pound or maybe not even that much. But if you feel better, have more energy, notice your clothes fitting a little better...the scale will reflect it eventually, but it just takes time.
  • caramammal
    caramammal Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I'm 5.4 and have sa edentary desk job (working from home) so i need to net 1200 calories to lose 1lb per week, or net 700 to lose 2lbs a week.

Last summer i very easily lost 10lb by eating 1600 calories and burning off 400 (netting 1200 per day) - it came off at 1lb per week as expected.

At the moment i'm aiming to lose 10lbs but I want it to come off quickly so i'm eating 1200 calories and exercing off 400-500 (netting 700). This means i lose 2lbs per week.

I'm vegetarian so find eating 1200 calories a day really easy and satisfying, but am very careful to eat healthily for nutrition, so i tend not to eat any junk food, only whole unprocessed stuff where possible. The other most important thing when losing is obviously consistency. I cant have a cheat meal every week as that would delay my loss, but i'm planning a cheat meal once every 3-4 weeks or so.

Good luck
  • DeliriumCanBeFun
    DeliriumCanBeFun Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I just don't understand how people who need to lose weight can say they have trouble meeting a 1200 calorie goal. None of us became overweight eating that small of an amount of food everyday. And with that being said, if you're going to set your goal that low you really should eat back all your exercise calories. To me, 1500 sounds like a reasonable number for you without knowing too many details. I'm 5'3" and have lost 11 punds in as many weeks. My goal is currently set to 1400, and I eat back all my exercise calories. But I use a HRM and am very careful not to overestime those with what's in the MFP database. I actually started out at 1700 and have played around with that number and the percentages of my macros until I have found what I can reasonably stick with over the long term and still lose weigh consistently. Weighing and measuring makes all the difference in accurately hitting your goal, which helps to give me a little wiggle room on the weekends like on Sundays when I don't log. My diary is open, I log daily and am open to friend requests :)
  • jessfuller23
    jessfuller23 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4" & have about 40-50 pounds to lose. I was originally set at 1200 cal. per day, but after almost 2 months of sticking to that, I hadn't lost an ounce! So about 2 weeks ago I actually upped my daily calories to 1450 & have slowly started to lose