That 'light bulb' moment

Options
Hi
Not really sure what category this should be in but just looking for your stories. I just wonder if any of you ever had a defining moment when you knew it was time /knew you where ready to loose weight?

thanks

Replies

• lauramblair
    lauramblair Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    The light bulb moment is so important! I've tried to lose weight several times over the last 10 years, but never had any success.

In July of 2013 I had a preventive double mastectomy and breast reconstruction. The type of reconstruction I had is called DIEP Flap, where they basically cut off your belly fat from hip to hip, and belly button to hip bones, cut the "flap" of fat in half, shape it into breasts, and stuff it in as a whole piece and reconnect the blood vessels. It's an amazing surgery, actually! (It took 13 hours!)

Anyway, I knew this surgery would be my second chance to have the body I've always wanted to have. You essentially get a tummy tuck, it's not quite as extensive as a TT but it's close. I only lost about 2 pounds in surgery (because the tissue doesn't go away, it's just transplanted, so the only "weight" I lost was the breast tissue). But I knew with hard work, my belly would have the potential to be tight and slim one day.

I was determined to turn a bad situation into an empowering one. 40 pounds later, I'm almost there! I don't know what clicked this time, I guess just the WANT IT BAD motivation.
  • Of_Monsters_and_Meat
    Of_Monsters_and_Meat Posts: 1,022 Member
    Options
    Yes I did.

I re-ordered my life and made being healthy a priority instead of an afterthought.
  • McKenzieLeigh
    McKenzieLeigh Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I was just telling my co-worker this morning. I listen to people ask for motivation on these threads. I don't need it. I made a decision and I am going to get there no matter what. I love having supporters, but I don't need someone prodding me along anymore.

I have been overweight for so long so I know what those people are going through, but this time it is just different for me. No one is going to tell me it is dumb or that I can't do it or whatever. This is about me and gaining control of my life and it has been the easiest and most successful I have ever been! It has just "clicked'
  • shaynepoole
    shaynepoole Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    For me, it was on a trip to NYC where I couldn't even walk around without back pain/having to stop. And then to top it off, I didn't feel like I could walk back to the car, so I had to wait to be picked up. I was 340 lbs at the time

I came home and joined a gym and then finally looked up the weight loss doctor that my GP kept telling me to go see...

1 year and 170 lbs lighter, I am patting myself on the back for finally getting my *kitten* in gear
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Hi
    Not really sure what category this should be in but just looking for your stories. I just wonder if any of you ever had a defining moment when you knew it was time /knew you where ready to loose weight?

thanks

Dont understand the light bulb reference. Is that something to do with being too overweight to change a light bulb or something?
  • rondaj05
    rondaj05 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    There wasn't any specific moment I guess...

A few different things really... 1. My "fat" clothes barely fit and my choice was to buy EVEN bigger clothes or get off my butt and do something about my weight. 2. We bought a small sofa to put in a game room and it just about killed me to help my husband get it upstairs into the room. I'm talking about not much bigger than loveseat size sofa (!) I had no strength and could barely breathe by the time we got to the top. :blushing: I couldn't believe I was so out of shape. :sad: 3. We bought our house last year, it's on a lake and I want to be able to enjoy our summers on our boat rather than hide behind ugly swimsuits and cover ups bc I'm so embarrassed by how I look and it was much harder for me to climb up the boat steps by the end of summer last year.

And finally, I turned 49 this year, I don't want to go into my 50s this heavy and out of shape!!
  • Alehmer
    Alehmer Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    My engagement photos, hadn't even realized that I had put on all that weight (around 250) as I am tall with a big frame and had a beard (hides the chin). But when I saw the pictures it shocked me into action.
  • krystina_letitia9
    krystina_letitia9 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    A few years ago, my friend gently told me that I had gained quite a bit of weight. Of course, I knew this but was also in denial. I cried my eyes out but then realized that with my family history, those extra pounds could be detrimental. I've never been crazy overweight but for someone who is pretty petite, extra pounds show up quickly, and I had gained about 40lbs. I started running and joined MFP, and ultimately lost 34lbs. My weight was +/- 5lbs for a few years, which was ok with me... I wanted to get lower than that but ultimately liked how I looked. Last year, I got off a medication I took for migraines and gained 15lbs back, then got pregnant (37 weeks yesterday!). I've also gained a bit more than I would like but as I near the end of pregnancy, I'm diligent about my diet and hoping to minimize the gain.

So, ultimately, I've discovered you have to really "want it". There will be times when you fall off your track but that doesn't mean you can't pick yourself up and keep going. A bad meal does not need to equal a bad day, or a bad day does not equal a bad week. Another thing that I've found is that thinking of this as a "diet" sets you up for failure. I'm never going to diet again - I'm simply working every day on instilling habits that will take me through the rest of my life.
  • delmauriac
    delmauriac Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Yup - two triggers for me really.

The first was a trip to a theme park towards the end of last year. We queued to get to the front seats on the first ride, only to find out I was too fat to fit in it and had to go into the "extra room" seat. I still joke about needing the "fat seats", but every time I do a bit of me dies inside.

The second was seeing a picture of myself side on and realising just how far my gut stuck out in front of me. With my wedding rapidly approaching I really didn't want to appear in our wedding pics looking like I had just inhaled the entire buffet ...

This was when I decided that enough was enough and I needed to make a lifestyle change - not just a diet or some other fad, but a complete turn around and change of direction.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    I've had two. And as a result my weight loss of about 115 lb thus far has happened in 2 "waves".

Wave #1

I'd rocketed from normal-for-me 260-270 lb up to my HW of 307 lb. I had shortness of breath, ankle swelling, etc, while on a business trip with my (normal weight) supervisor...and it scared the crap out of me. I'd always felt energetic and healthy up to that point and I knew I had to do something! After the trip, I started eating a LITTLE better (I was sort of clueless) and exercising a lot, mostly walking miles each night. It took me over 3 years but I lost 45 lb and felt MUCH better and like my old self. Even though I was still not at a healthy weight, I honestly and truly felt FABULOUS!

Wave #2

After maintaining the above losses for a year or so, I met my now-husband and with his good influence I started eating much healthier. But I was not losing much or any weight. I went to an auto show in March 2013 and looked at photos of me afterward and I was ticked off because I didn't look like I felt. I felt wonderful yet still looked so fat and unhealthy! So I finally bought a scale (for the first time EVER) and joined MFP. Since then I have logged every single bite of food, and I've lost 70 lb (haven't updated my most recent loss yet...waiting another couple of days).

I am not done yet but now I feel very accomplished and am on a good path for the future.
  • jenicejinxedmonds
    jenicejinxedmonds Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    For me, it was on a trip to NYC where I couldn't even walk around without back pain/having to stop. And then to top it off, I didn't feel like I could walk back to the car, so I had to wait to be picked up. I was 340 lbs at the time

I came home and joined a gym and then finally looked up the weight loss doctor that my GP kept telling me to go see...

1 year and 170 lbs lighter, I am patting myself on the back for finally getting my *kitten* in gear

1 year and 170lbs! That is AWESOME!
  • deeannhill
    deeannhill Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Yes I did.

I re-ordered my life and made being healthy a priority instead of an afterthought.

^^^^THIS FTW.
  • TheEffort
    TheEffort Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    Yep...March 2011...I still have those moments but for different goals. :smile:
  • wendyej67
    wendyej67 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've battled with weight problems for years and am a comfort eater. I've tried to lose weight countless times over the years with varying success but inevitably end up putting more weight on. I had back surgery 3 years ago which has aggravated the situation cos I can't do as much as I used to do. I am 46 and am now the heaviest I have ever been.

My light bulb moment was yesterday! I walked to the shop for some milk which is a matter of yards away and felt like I was having heart palpatations by the time I'd walked back. That was enough to make me realise I have to sort myself out!! I've booked myself a session at the swimming pool tonight with half an hour in the hot tub afterwards and I'm going to get out there on my bike again with my kids. I want to be around for a few more years and see my kids grown up and living their lives.
  • aetzkorn14
    aetzkorn14 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    as dumb as this sounds, I never thought twice about calories. It never occurred to me that maybe I should see how much I should be eating and not what I wanted to eat. I had always convinced myself that I was suppose to be bigger. A year ago I did south beach and lost 20 lbs in a month and was astounded but I couldn't stay on it. a couple months later I got an instagram and started following clean eating which later progressed into understanding how muscle and water affect "weight-loss" I also got on here and between the two I dropped 50lbs slowly and have yet to gain it back. I still cant believe something so obvious was stopping me all these years.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,370 Member
    Options
    I had 2:

1. like delmuriac, the family went to Sea World last summer and to take my daughter on the roller coasters, she and I had to sit in the 'fat seats' because of my weight (this will not happen again EVER)

2/ My wife and I attended her company Christmas party in December and I really looked at the picture that was taken of us as a couple and I was completely shocked at how big I had gotten - I was wearing the largest shirt I owned and it was straining to hold me in - this will also NEVER happen again!

I started this journey the day after the Christmas party (joined the gym that very day) and haven't looked back since!
  • LTKeegan
    LTKeegan Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Hi

thanks

Dont understand the light bulb reference. Is that something to do with being too overweight to change a light bulb or something?

No like in comics where the light bulb appears over the persons head and turns on because they had a big idea.

For me, it was last semester I was studying abroad and pretty miserable, I knew I was putting on weight but my situation was one where I was normally exercising a lot, but couldn't for 4 months. Yet kept eating like I was. So I decided when I got home that the weight HAD TO GO. I didn't want the new weight to be my new normal. And that gave me the excuse to lose those 10 or so lbs that I've been putting on since starting grad school, but not really caring much about since it never seemed like much.
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,426 Member
    Options
    I've always exercised and thought I was eating pretty healthy. I was pretty adept at telling myself that " I'm tall, it's muscle!" to justify the size clothes I was wearing. But one day a friend of mine emailed me a picture from a cruise we had taken the previous spring. I remember getting ready for dinner, looking in the mirror and thinking " I look GOOD!" Uh, no, I looked FAT! I then got out our summer vacation pictures and really looked at them and was appalled at how I looked.

I was convinced it was my thyroid (I only have a third of mine and take meds) so I called my doctor for a checkup. I knew though that she was going to want a food diary and since I KNEW I ate healthy I'd keep a diary and just show her. I found the MFP app and just started logging my food that I normally ate. Wow. Apparently, I should not have been keeping up with my husband and teenage boys in the quantity category! Talk about eye-opening! I cut back on how much I was eating and started being very mindful of how many calories were in things and started making smarter decisions about what I ate and the weight just started coming off. By the time I had my doctors appointment I had lost 15 lbs! (She did have to adjust my meds too!)

I started MFP in August of 2010 and hit my initial goal weight in February. I then decided to lower my goal another 7 lbs and hit that in April of 2011. I've been her ever since. I had a really awful 2013 and stress ate about 15 lbs back but I'm slowly losing it. I've added a lot more strength training and am not looking at the scale and I feel great. And I started this at age 47 and had my 50th birthday last year in better shape than I've ever been in my life.

For the TLDR crowd: saw pictures,realized I was fat, started MFP, lost weight.
  • Amandawith3kids
    Amandawith3kids Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    for me it was when i realized i needed bigger jeans, and when i saw my christmas morning pictures. i showed that pic to a friend who has known me for a few years and she was just flabbergasted at how much i had changed. i always thought that since i was taller that my weight was "hidden" more. people always told me "but you carry it well" but.. it shows very much in my face. i have a round face even when i' skinny (like in high school) but i just look bloated and fat. my features were disappearing.
  • culo97
    culo97 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I just wonder if any of you ever had a defining moment when you knew it was time /knew you where ready to loose weight?
    I've always been big and I've always tried not to be big. What I'm doing now, tracking what I eat and exercising, I've done for years. As long as I remember, I've always slowly and gradually gained weight.

The difference now is that weight is actually coming off. I'm happily shocked and amazed.

The combination of the MFP support community and information sharing seems to be the difference that is helping me. The positive peer pressure and feeling accountable to your MFP friends is great. This place is full of role models with helpful insights. People who are in your shoes, have been in your shoes and will be in your shoes. I can't really overestimate the impact of seeing a wide variety of regular people overcome, improve and succeed.

I'm not motivated the same way by people who have been healthy, thin or athletic their whole lives.