Do any dancers have pronation?

Options
Hi, I'm considering taking up dancing next year and I'm already worried that my pronation is going to affect me. I'm most likely going to go into contemporary. I'm just wondering does it affect you guys much and if so, have you found a way to combat it? I'll be okay if we wear shoes because I can get inserts to help but if we don't, I don't know what to do. Thanks for your time.

Replies

• thelastkite
    thelastkite Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

Though I'm not really a super experienced dancer, I do love to take classes (zumba/barre/modern/line dancing) and have some pronation/really flat feet. It doesn't affect me much, other than pointed toe positions are a bit harder to hold, especially when forcing the arch while standing. Not sure what kind of feet you're dealing with, but one exercise my barre teacher told me would help is to take a towel and place it underneath your feet, then curl your toes under so you are pulling the towel towards you with your toes/foot. It's hard to explain... here is a video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVDMUuWtX00

I do that sometimes, especially if my feet are really feelin' it after a class. It's a boring exercise, but it helps!

Though I dealt with initial foot discomfort in my dance classes, I've adapted and my feet have gotten stronger. I plan to sign up for a contemporary class this summer. I don't know about shoes & contemporary, but I did go to a running store and get fitted for proper shoes last December. I let them know I planned to use them for dance classes, too, and they took that into consideration and made sure the shoe had enough give to it, so I could move in them. Having the right pair of shoes changes everything! I highly recommend getting fitted if you haven't before, I don't even need my inserts anymore because these shoes fit so well.

Anyway, good luck and I hope all goes well with your dancing!
  • ME0172
    ME0172 Posts: 200
    Options

Though I dealt with initial foot discomfort in my dance classes, I've adapted and my feet have gotten stronger. I plan to sign up for a contemporary class this summer. I don't know about shoes & contemporary, but I did go to a running store and get fitted for proper shoes last December. I let them know I planned to use them for dance classes, too, and they took that into consideration and made sure the shoe had enough give to it, so I could move in them. Having the right pair of shoes changes everything! I highly recommend getting fitted if you haven't before, I don't even need my inserts anymore because these shoes fit so well.

Anyway, good luck and I hope all goes well with your dancing!

This. If you get good shoes you may have some discomfort but you should be fine. I overpronate and I got good inserts for my dance shoes and my feet don't bother me.