Going from Insanity to Stronglifts 5x5

Options
shak29
shak29 Posts: 114 Member
I just finished up Insanity and am starting Stronglifts 5x5, well I actually started Monday. I am just wondering how I go from working out 6 days a week to 3, I am having a hard time grasping that concept. I enjoyed working out every day, but i understand that I need to give my muscles a break. And I am using MFP calorie counter and eating back exercise calories so I am use to eating from 1400 to 1600 calories on any given day. So I guess my question is can I really eat this many calories while only doing the stronglifts 5x5 program and continue to see results? Thanks in advance for your responses!

Replies

• shak29
    Options
    Bump
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    With heavy lifting, you need the rest days for muscle recovery. However, you can still do some cardio on your off days. I enjoy running and sometimes a long walk on my rest days. I kickbox on the weekends. I still leave one day a week for complete rest.

I knew when I was doing too much extra cardio on my off days because it slowed my weight progression. I readjust as needed.

ETA: I use the TDEE method. Because estimating calorie burn for weight lifting is an estimate at best, this makes my calories the same every day. I don't add back my exercise calories, they are included in my daily allotment.
  • shak29
    Options
    Thank you for your reply!
    I do plan on converting to the TDEE method, I have been doing some reading on the matter and am trying to find a good calculation to go with.
    On my first day with the 5x5 i did take a bike ride with the kids afterwards and I didn't feel wiped out or anything. And yesterday on my off day I did do about 20 minutes on the treadmill just because I am use to doing something. I just want to get a good understanding since I am doing things that are new to me.

edited to correct typos
  • shak29
    Options
    bump
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    You can do HIIT, or light cardio on your non-lifting days if you wish. Just make sure not to over do it so you don't compromise recovery.
  • shak29
    Options
    Thank you, I was thinking of doing the T25 on the off days.
  • emilyc85
    emilyc85 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Yes you can stil get results :) I would start taking measurements and pictures though. You will get results, but you may not lose as fast as you think you should, especialy first starting. Measurements and pictures will keep you motivated through the times you may not lose.

Good luck to you in your continued fitness goals!!
  • FitMama2013
    FitMama2013 Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    I do Stronglifts Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Tuesday is 30 minutes walking/30 minutes yoga. Thursday just depends on how I'm feeling...if my legs are hurting, I rest. If I'm feeling good, I'll do some incline walking on the treadmill. Saturday and Sunday are active recovery days. That works for me as lifting is my main focus right now.

I eat TDEE moderately active -20% which takes me to 2660 (including 300 calories for nursing). I use this calculator: http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/
  • quellybelly
    quellybelly Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    Hey girl! Congrats on finishing Insanity. I think switching to Stronglifts is a great next step - that's exactly what I did! I lowered my calorie intake by about 100-200 calories when I switched to lifting since it doesn't burn as many calories as Insanity did. Are you doing the TDEE method? With Insanity, I picked a moderate activity level, but with lifting, I selected light activity level so that caused a change in my calorie goal. Hope this helps and hope you enjoy lifting! I have never looked back :)
  • shak29
    Options
    Thank you for the responses.

I did take measurements and pictures at the beginning of Insanity and I lost a pant size when I was done. I will do my measurements again probably today.

I will look at the calculator, I have looked at a few and they all give a different number, I guess I just have to pick one and see how it goes.