You can't build muscle at a calorie deficit? Why lift??

Options

Replies

• sarahertzberger
    sarahertzberger Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I've never heard that before, I lift some and I build muscle just because the scale doesn't move doesn't mean you aren't burning fat, take your measurements and you will see the difference.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    I've never heard that before, I lift some and I build muscle just because the scale doesn't move doesn't mean you aren't burning fat, take your measurements and you will see the difference.

How do you build muscle, in a deficit, only lifting "some"?
  • DuckDynastyMakesMeLaugh
    Options
    bump
  • katz6910
    katz6910 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Bar a few confusing posts this thread has made me want to increase my weights workouts. Thanks to those who wrote in terms I could understand :flowerforyou:
  • The_1_Who_Knocks
    The_1_Who_Knocks Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the thoughtful responses. This has reaffirmed not only my desire to start lifting, but really my fitness goals in general. Very very helpful. And I'm very glad I posted my question!!!

This is perhaps one of the best questions ever asked on these forums. So much misunderstanding concerning this. Others have commented thus but I shall briefly reiterate:

On a deficit you cannot
    1. Gain muscle mass (due to catabolic state)

On a deficit, you CAN.
    1. Gain strength
    2. Increase muscle tone
    3. Maintain lean mass
    4. Increase fat burning potential.
    5. Create an underlying muscle base that will shine through once the rolls of fat have dissolved over them

Let me ask you a serious question. I don't know what your credentials are but you seem pretty confident, so I wanted to get your opinion.

Is this article, and the study that it references, complete BS?

http://muscleevo.net/calorie-deficit/
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the thoughtful responses. This has reaffirmed not only my desire to start lifting, but really my fitness goals in general. Very very helpful. And I'm very glad I posted my question!!!

This is perhaps one of the best questions ever asked on these forums. So much misunderstanding concerning this. Others have commented thus but I shall briefly reiterate:

On a deficit you cannot

On a deficit, you CAN.
    1. Gain strength
    2. Increase muscle tone
    3. Maintain lean mass
    5. Create an underlying muscle base that will shine through once the rolls of fat have dissolved over them

Let me ask you a serious question. I don't know what your credentials are but you seem pretty confident, so I wanted to get your opinion.

from the summary of the article:

In summary, some people can and do build a decent amount of muscle while they’re in a calorie deficit.

But it’s a phenomenon that’s generally limited to people who are very overweight and have never lifted weights before, or those who are returning to exercise after a layoff, where muscle memory comes into play.

Once you’ve move past the “overweight beginner” stage, building a significant amount of muscle while losing fat is a goal that becomes progressively more difficult and will normally require some kind of calorie cycling strategy if you want to see decent results.

What this article refers to is "newbie gains" in obese beginners which is possible; however, after about 4-6 months of training this will stop and it becomes harder and harder to gain muscle and eventually said trainer will have to go into calorie surplus to put on additional muscle.
  • rondaj05
    rondaj05 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Bar a few confusing posts this thread has made me want to increase my weights workouts. Thanks to those who wrote in terms I could understand :flowerforyou:

+1
  • The_1_Who_Knocks
    Options

On a deficit you cannot

On a deficit, you CAN.
    1. Gain strength
    2. Increase muscle tone
    3. Maintain lean mass

from the summary of the article:

In summary, some people can and do build a decent amount of muscle while they’re in a calorie deficit.

But it’s a phenomenon that’s generally limited to people who are very overweight and have never lifted weights before, or those who are returning to exercise after a layoff, where muscle memory comes into play.

Once you’ve move past the “overweight beginner” stage, building a significant amount of muscle while losing fat is a goal that becomes progressively more difficult and will normally require some kind of calorie cycling strategy if you want to see decent results.

What this article refers to is "newbie gains" in obese beginners which is possible; however, after about 4-6 months of training this will stop and it becomes harder and harder to gain muscle and eventually said trainer will have to go into calorie surplus to put on additional muscle.

Ok, I can understand that, but to say simply "You cannot gain muscle mass while on a calorie deficit" is simply incorrect, right?
  • bellalavita11
    Options
    The more muscle you have the more you can eat! Yes, you can burn fat and build muscle at the same time, NPC bikini and fitness competitors do it all the time. I suggest you check out some of the amateurs of the week on bodybuilding.com. They will display not only their journey to becoming fit, but also their complete diet with vitamins/supplements as well as their workout plan. Be sure to eat enough protein to maintain muscle and try to keep your carbs in check. Don't be afraid of fats like nuts, olive oil, and avocados while still watching your caloric intake.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Converting ANY excess calories to fat and then that fat back to carbs for fuel is the very basis of the body's energy storage and 'retrieval' system.
    It does not stand to reason it should be good at doing it the other way around.

While I still do 3.5 weights session a week generally, I've decided to not worry about them so much being on a sustained deficit for a while and look to improving my cardio - I know doing more cardio may harm my lifting/muscles a bit more, but I can improve cardio performance in a deficit while I no longer can improve lifting performance (the first month being at a deficit my strength DID increase a good chunk despite lifting not being 'new' while my weight went down - but it's since petered out.)

Hopefully I can fairly quickly regain strength when on a 'bulk' and at that point tone down the cardio.
  • The_1_Who_Knocks
    Options
    Ok, I am just going to ask for a recommendation here.

I used to be very fat, 5'11 and 274 pounds. Now I am 186 pounds...no longer fat.

But...I still have I estimate about 10-12 pounds of belly I want to lose. You can't tell it when I have a shirt on but I want to not be able to tell when my shirt is off lol. I think I could continue my calorie deficit and cardio and ab workouts and get that done, but I want to be building some more muscle in my upper body and I'd like to rebuild my flat *kitten* too.

How should I cycle my calories and my workouts to try and get both done at the same time? Any knowledgeable guidance is appreciated.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,622 Member
    Options

On a deficit you cannot

On a deficit, you CAN.
    1. Gain strength
    2. Increase muscle tone
    3. Maintain lean mass

Notice that on the comparisons it says "fat free mass". That would include water and glycogen. Just someone taking up intense training alone after/either not training at all would increase their "fat free mass" with glycogen/water.
    What's not mentioned in the study was the history of the men. Were they former athletes? Were they new to lifting? Were they extremely obese?
    While there are some exceptions to building muscle in a calorie deficit, building muscle is an anabolic process. Calorie deficit is a catabolic process. The 2 don't run simutaneously with great success.
    I find Finn much more tolerable than other PT's because he at least looks at science based evidence. I do believe he overlooked at the term of fat free mass on this study and just concluded that all the weight gain was just pure lean muscle.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • jkohnmobile
    jkohnmobile Posts: 15 Member
    Options

I used to be very fat, 5'11 and 274 pounds. Now I am 186 pounds...no longer fat.

But...I still have I estimate about 10-12 pounds of belly I want to lose. You can't tell it when I have a shirt on but I want to not be able to tell when my shirt is off lol. I think I could continue my calorie deficit and cardio and ab workouts and get that done, but I want to be building some more muscle in my upper body and I'd like to rebuild my flat *kitten* too.

How should I cycle my calories and my workouts to try and get both done at the same time? Any knowledgeable guidance is appreciated.
    - Full-body weight workouts, twice a week. Focus on the major compound lifts (squat, dead lift, bench press, overhead press, chin-ups, dips - add some curls at the end if you want)

- Conditioning work in-between. Not just steady state "aerobic" but also HIIT/sprints/etc

- Make sure you're consistently getting enough daily protein (1gram per pound of lean body mass)

- Eat a moderate calorie surplus in the 36 hours surrounding your weight workouts

- Eat at a slight calorie deficit the rest of the time
  • The_1_Who_Knocks
    Options

- Full-body weight workouts, twice a week. Focus on the major compound lifts (squat, dead lift, bench press, overhead press, chin-ups, dips - add some curls at the end if you want)

- Conditioning work in-between. Not just steady state "aerobic" but also HIIT/sprints/etc

- Make sure you're consistently getting enough daily protein (1gram per pound of lean body mass)

- Eat a moderate calorie surplus in the 36 hours surrounding your weight workouts

- Eat at a slight calorie deficit the rest of the time

Thank you dude, that is very helpful. So if I am going to work out on a Monday night at 8 PM, I should be at a moderate surplus for say all day Monday and eat a nice big breakfast on Tuesday? Or be at a surplus for the entire day Tuesday as well?
  • The_1_Who_Knocks
    Options
    And how often should I do sit ups, planks, crunches, leg lifts etc? I see a lot of different opinions on the internet about the frequency of ab workouts.
  • eks1208
    eks1208 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    When you eat at a deficit, you lose weight. This includes body fat and muscle. When you lift, you keep the muscle loss to a minimum.

This is all you need to know about your question.
  • jkohnmobile
    jkohnmobile Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thank you dude, that is very helpful. So if I am going to work out on a Monday night at 8 PM, I should be at a moderate surplus for say all day Monday and eat a nice big breakfast on Tuesday? Or be at a surplus for the entire day Tuesday as well?
    I would say starting eating a surplus mid-day Monday through Tuesday evening. You want some extra calories in the hours leading up to your workout to fuel your training, and in the 24 hours after to maximize recovery.
    And how often should I do sit ups, planks, crunches, leg lifts etc? I see a lot of different opinions on the internet about the frequency of ab workouts.
    Ab muscles respond to training stimulus in the same way as other muscles. Not much point in working them more than every 72 hours or so.

And frankly, just because you want to lose fat in your mid-section doesn't mean you need to be doing a bunch of ab work, that's not really the way it works (spot-reduction is a myth).

The compound lifts I mentioned above will all hit your abs to varying degrees. The only ab-specific exercise I do is a few sets of ab-wheel rollouts at the end of my weight workouts.
  • The_1_Who_Knocks
    Options
    I would say starting eating a surplus mid-day Monday through Tuesday evening. You want some extra calories in the hours leading up to your workout to fuel your training, and in the 24 hours after to maximize recovery.
    Ab muscles respond to training stimulus in the same way as other muscles. Not much point in working them more than every 72 hours or so.

And frankly, just because you want to lose fat in your mid-section doesn't mean you need to be doing a bunch of ab work, that's not really the way it works (spot-reduction is a myth).

The compound lifts I mentioned above will all hit your abs to varying degrees. The only ab-specific exercise I do is a few sets of ab-wheel rollouts at the end of my weight workouts.

Thank you man, I really appreciate it.
  • 2013sk
    2013sk Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    You've got some excellent explanations, now let's go with some visual aids:

1t5t7s.jpg

29m3gna.jpg

Three months of lifting eating at a very slight deficit. I technically weighed more in the "after" photo because of some water weight. I might weigh 2 actual pounds less in the second photo.

OMG YOU LOOK AMAZING - Well done - What did you do lifting wise/workout etc?
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    You could try this technique, which does seem to work for many:
    http://www.leangains.com/search/label/Leangains Guide
    http://rippedbody.jp/2011/10/08/leangains-intermittent-fasting-guide-how-to-do-it-by-yourself/