Mexico Resorts What to EAT?

Options
I'm going to a resort in Mexico for a week soon and I want to know if any one has any pointers for staying within a calorie goal so I can continue to lose weight. The following are some pointers Im going to follow:
#1 I won't be drinking alcohol or any liquid with calories for that matter.
#2 I won't be eating deep fried foods or candy or chips and stuff.
#3 I plan to swim every day. Chase my 2-year-old so he doesn't get the chance to run away on me.

So if you've been to Mexico before, what good foods were available to eat? ones that aren't full of sugar or fat? Please tell me there's lots of good protein and vegetables available!!! What about fruit?

Replies

• eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Real Mexico or pretend Mexico? You know, the places for Americans who cant live without Subway and McDonalds....
  • BetesBitch
    BetesBitch Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Real Mexico or pretend Mexico? You know, the places for Americans who cant live without Subway and McDonalds....

Real Mexico. On a beach resort. Riviera Maya I think it will be.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    Options
    #3 I plan to swim every day. Chase my 2-year-old so he doesn't get the chance to run away on me.

what's the point of going to Mexico again?
  • Of_Monsters_and_Meat
    Of_Monsters_and_Meat Posts: 1,022 Member
    Options

what's the point of going to Mexico again?

Have fun on your bland vacation. I don't get this at all.
  • Artests
    Artests Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    The best thing about Mexico is their candy :(
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    I'm going to a resort in Mexico for a week soon and I want to know if any one has any pointers for staying within a calorie goal so I can continue to lose weight. The following are some pointers Im going to follow:

So if you've been to Mexico before, what good foods were available to eat? ones that aren't full of sugar or fat? Please tell me there's lots of good protein and vegetables available!!! What about fruit?

Eat what you want and maintain a deficit.

You're welcome.
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    Eat what the other "humans" are eating....
    You're on the coast...try the seafood, maybe?
  • helennbaker
    helennbaker Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hopefully you will have access to some wonderful fresh tropical fruit and fresh seafood. Enjoy the Yucatan flavors, and do indulge in a couple of margaritas.
  • jr1985
    jr1985 Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    Eat whatever you want... Then drink the water there... That will take care of any weight gain in a hurry :)

In all seriousness though, I'm assuming your resort has a lot of water activities included as well as a fitness center... When I was in Jamaica over the summer... We all gained weight, but also took some tours, hiking etc, plus went snorkeling, kayaking, attempted to windsurf etc. every day and it helped staying active.

There are generally a lot of fresh sea food options at places like that which are delicious and healthy, fresh fruit for breakfast, Asked for steamed Veggies if you like.

Have fun on your vacation!
  • SweetJoanne
    SweetJoanne Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Hi I was just in Mexico and the food was amazing, so many choices even healthy fruit juices, lots of fruit and vegetables, if the resort is anything like the one I stayed at you will be spoilt for choices
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I haven't been to Mexico, but I went to an all-inclusive resort in Cuba for my honeymoon, and I assume the food isn't massively different at the resorts in Mexico as they are catering for tourists.

I was there for 2 weeks and was quite careful, and did lots of swimming, but I did enjoy lots of rum and cocktails too :smile: I only put on one pound.

We went to the buffet most evenings and they had a variety of foods, but loads of fish, chicken, vegetables, salad, fruit and other healthy food. For breakfast there was cereal, fruit, yogurt etc, and little pastries and eggs and cooked stuff if you wanted it.

For lunch there was a buffet place with similar food to the dinner, or there was a place that did Italian style food, and one that did chicken and chips (fries).

There wasn't a lot of junk food on offer, and I don't think you could get crisps (chips) and sweets/chocolate easily. They had little pastries, and little biscuits (cookies) and they did great coffee.

Mexico might differ slightly as they possibly do traditional things like fajitas, burritos etc, but I'm sure at the resorts they do food like they did in Cuba. I think my brother's been to the Mayan riviera so I'll have to ask him.
  • AvsFreak
    AvsFreak Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    You're on vacation, enjoy yourself.

Read this if you really think that 1 week of enjoying yourself will ruin your body.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=144179471
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options

Real Mexico. On a beach resort. Riviera Maya I think it will be.

That's definitely "pretend" Mexico, haha. But even at a resort you can make healthy choices. Just don't hit the buffet like you're dying of starvation, eat lots of vegetables, and indulge a bit in whatever looks great but in reasonable portions.

ETA: Those resorts on the Mayan all have like 10 a la carte restaurants, buffets, etc etc etc. There will probably be any kind of food you can possibly imagine, including tons of fruit and vegetables at every meal. They are a bit ridiculous. Food everywhere and more choice than you'll know what to do with.
  • _crafty_
    _crafty_ Posts: 1,682 Member
    Options

I've been to Mexico quite a few times. I ate what I wanted. Drank what I wanted. I was on vacation.
  • stakoc94
    stakoc94 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    We are also heading to Mexico in about 5 weeks. Our Resort has an abundance of healthy foods at the buffets and resturants. Buffet is for breakfast and lunch and then the resturants are for dinner. Breakfast there is an omlet station, tons of fresh fruits and produce, yogurt, and of course all the usual breakfast treats. Lunch there is many options including salmon, chicken, and lean protein choices. And salad bar of course.

My advice is to make great choices for breakfast and lunch and splurge for dinner after a long day of playing in the sun! And like others noted have a few drinks, and just enjoy your VACATION!!

Vacation should not be stressful :drinker: :happy:
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    I've never been to any part of Mexico outside of Juarez back before it became crazy, but I'd look into grilled nopales. I love them.
  • Keep_The_Laughter
    Keep_The_Laughter Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Resorts have a captive audience and there is a high probability that you will not get the best quality food. They already have your money, so you may or may not get reasonable quality produce and meats. In fact I've known several people who've spent most of their vacations sick trying to eat the "healthy" options at resorts.

If I were you, I'd find the nearest markets in town and local food joints. Go in look around. If there are no Mexican folks or Spanish speakers in general in the dining areas or check outs, move on to the next location. That is how you'll find higher quality foods. The people who live and work in the area will gravitate towards the better quality establishments.
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    On my vacay to Jamaica last year, I discovered something wonderful. Relaxing and eating when you're hungry and stopping when you're full makes you lose weight, and that included many MANY 10 am pina coladas, and cold beers in the afternoon, and whatever else I wanted to drink in the evening. I came back two pounds lighter, actually...
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options

you're on holiday enjoy yourself eat sensibly. Don't restrict yourself too much otherwise you'll just have a horrible time and probably make the people your with miserable too. It's one week as long as you don't eat 20000 calories a day it won't derail what you've been doing. Go have a good time come back and get on with what you were doing before
  • Snooozie
    Snooozie Posts: 3,444 Member
    Options
    I spent a week at a resort on the Mayan Riveiera and had the time of my life... but I ate whatever I wanted; and drank like a fish. The only thing I did was increase my exercise by walking the beach every day, swimming, taking a yoga class or a water aerobics class. I think I gained two pounds maybe, but it came off in a hearbeat as soon as I returned to my "normal" way of eating and exercising when I got back...... but I gave myself that week off on purpose. if you want to lose weight while you're there tho, just continue to log your food and stay within whatever calorie deficit you're using now. :bigsmile: