Egg beaters yay or nay

Options
I was eating egg beaters but my aunt told me to find something else that just says egg whites. She says that egg beaters have too many added things. Does it matter?

Replies

• moment_to_arise
    moment_to_arise Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    why not just eat actual eggs?
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    shouldn't be a problem at all. Though I cannot stand the taste. Yuk, much prefer real whole eggs or just plain egg whites
  • 99clmsntgr
    99clmsntgr Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    why not just eat actual eggs?

1/4 cup of egg beaters (equivalent to one egg) is 25 calories
    1 whole large egg (raw) is 74 calories.

That's about it. If you look at the ingredients in egg substitute, the primary is ingredient is egg whites then a bunch of "other stuff" including coloring.

So the better question is, if you're looking just to cut down the calories, why not just egg whites?

EDIT: All that being said, I use egg substitutes and eggs almost interchangeably, just depends on what I have planned food-wise for the day. I will say -- egg substitutes done in the microwave never seem to cook right. Of course, I hate regular eggs in the microwave, too, so STOVETOP FOR LIFE, YO!

And that's all I have to say about that.
  • aetzkorn14
    aetzkorn14 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    to me eating egg beaters is like eating watery plastic and I wouldn't doubt it the chemicals they use to make them isn't to far from plastic. I would stick with real eggs....the yolk is the most nutrient dense part of it anyways.
  • Wuggums
    Wuggums Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I eat Egg Beaters almost every day. For me, they fit better into my macros than whole eggs and they are tastier than just egg whites. Take a look at the ingredients - they are 99% egg whites. Some added vitamins and minerals, spices, added flavor and color, but nothing that makes me cringe. Granted I'm not a total freak about "eating clean"...
  • Mario_Az
    Mario_Az Posts: 1,331 Member
    Options
    I do egg whites in a carton then add a whole egg
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    Egg beaters ingredients:
    Egg Whites, Less than 1%: Natural Flavor, Color (Includes Beta Carotene), Spices, Salt, Onion Powder, Vegetable Gums (Xanthan Gum, Guar Gum), Maltodextrin. Vitamins and Minerals: Calcium Sulfate, Iron (Ferric Phosphate), Vitamin E (Alpha Tocopherol Acetate), Zinc Sulfate, Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin B12, Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin), Vitamin B1 (Thiamine Mononitrate), Vitamin B6 (Pyridoxine Hydrochloride), Folic Acid, Biotin, Vitamin D3

Egg ingredients:
    Egg.

Eggs are also cheaper (even if you buy fancy eggs from pastured chickens) and low calorie - only 70 calories for a large egg.

If you feel the need to eat egg whites only, buy a carton of egg whites which contain nothing but that...egg whites.
  • leannems
    leannems Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    What your aunt probably means is that the egg beaters are processed; so if you look at the list of ingredients, there's several processed ingredients in there. This isn't true if you just eat egg whites instead.

So whether or not you eat them depends on whether you care to eat or avoid processed foods.
  • kathyflannery129
    kathyflannery129 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    i use them sometimes when i make "egg muffins" use the Southwest flavor and add chopped mushrooms and some low fat cheddar cheese and put in a muffin tin....but the same can be done with real eggs, it is just more convienent for me to use them for this...
  • Csparrow2014
    Csparrow2014 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I eat egg beaters instead of whole eggs to lower my calories and still feel full. I don't mind the taste. However I do want to eat more clean so I will look for cartons with just egg whites in them. Thanks everyone for your guidance.
  • craftywitch_63
    craftywitch_63 Posts: 829 Member
    Options
    I eat Egg Beaters almost every day. For me, they fit better into my macros than whole eggs and they are tastier than just egg whites. Take a look at the ingredients - they are 99% egg whites. Some added vitamins and minerals, spices, added flavor and color, but nothing that makes me cringe. Granted I'm not a total freak about "eating clean"...

^^^ This. I don't like eating plain egg whites and I don't know what to do with the yolks every day. I will on occasion have a whole egg or two but I don't want the extra calories, fat and cholesterol on a daily basis. But then, I'm not a "clean eater" either.

tsGxi2O.jpg?1
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I eat egg creations similar to egg beaters they are made from real egg whites...I don't see the issue.

If I get the ones that jsut say egg white they are just egg whites...and look like it too...it's the ones with cheese and chive with a few extras.

I agree with the calorie and protien vs 1 real egg and if I am going to eat an egg I am eating the whole egg why omit the yolk.
  • Kita328
    Kita328 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Eat the Egg! Its a super food and dont pay attention to the cholesterol nonsense **unless** you already have issues with your cholesterol.

Eggs are good and those extra 50 cals are worth it an egg will keep you full for much longer than those beaters...
  • mamahannick
    mamahannick Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I get "All Whites" brand 100% egg whites in a carton. I'm with whoever said just the whites fit my macros better. I got tired of separating eggs to get the whites.
  • BreakingUpWithObesity2013
    Options
    I eat them alot. Love them and they are lower cals than real eggs =)
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    No. Just...no.
  • tomwatso
    tomwatso Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    I eat all whites. Works fine for me.
  • eAddict
    eAddict Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I eat them alot. Love them and they are lower cals than real eggs =)
    Love'em too!
  • superraachel
    superraachel Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I bought them for the lower calorie aspect, but I'm not all the way on board with how they taste just cooked up as is. I do find egg beaters are great in recipes though (pancakes, muffins, mini quiches, banana bread). They slightly lower the calories, and you can't taste the difference. Plain egg whites don't sub in the same in recipes for me.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    I just buy a dozen eggs