Egg beaters yay or nay

Options

Replies

• pps7
    pps7 Posts: 46
    Options
    I eat whole real eggs. MFP has me net 1200 calories and I have no problem fitting it in. Yolk has a lot of B vitamins and iron.

Maybe consider doing one whole egg and the an additional 1-2 egg whites.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    Options
    other than "natural flavors" there's just vegetable gums and vitamins and minerals...

All "chemicals" and yet, not "chemicals"
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    I do egg whites in a carton then add a whole egg

This is me, too, several times a week.
  • Some_Watery_Tart
    Some_Watery_Tart Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    I developed an egg allergy a few years ago. *sigh* I miss eggs so much. :sad: You should eat the eggs. Do it for me.
  • PhearlessPhreaks
    PhearlessPhreaks Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    Nay. Eat the real thing. If you don't want the 70 calories from the egg, eat the egg whites and add in your spices. A little sea salt, pepper, onion and garlic powder (even a little paprika or cayenne pepper) will make them taste yummy.
  • staceypunk
    staceypunk Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    I did the egg beater thing for a while when MFP had me on only 1200 calories (before I switched to TDEE), you know every freaking calorie mattered becasue I was starving all the time. Anyways, I believe that the egg beaters are also much higher in sodium than real eggs. So if you are watching your sodium intake look out for that.
  • Miska_
    Miska_ Posts: 84
    Options
    I prefer real eggs.
  • msunat97
    msunat97 Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Egg Whites from a carton work well for me...I add some turkey sausage & salsa to it when finished.
  • viglet
    viglet Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I developed an egg allergy a few years ago. *sigh* I miss eggs so much. :sad: You should eat the eggs. Do it for me.

I'll do it for you! :wink:

I eat egg creations or egg beaters or whatever.... why? Because I like the way they taste.

And some days I eat whole eggs. It really just depends. I guess if you're a "clean eater" than don't eat them. But I would be a mighty hypocrite of I didn't eat them but went off and ate a bag of m&ms or some cheetos.
  • Runfaster14
    Runfaster14 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Egg whites only and it is a convenience thing for me. Sometimes they are more portable depending on what you have going on. easier to deal with than peeling an egg and pitching the yolk. throw it in the microwave and you have scrambled eggs. I do get the ones that are egg whites only. nothing else in the carton.
  • Fat_Bottomed_Girl
    Fat_Bottomed_Girl Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I have tried and tried, but just can't eat "eggs" from a carton, although I would like to for convenience purposes... I am referring to the whites with only ONE ingredient, and I STILL think they're "off". Sigh... :(
  • Runfaster14
    Runfaster14 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I like the sausage and salsa idea. throw it all in the microwave for a great breakfast or snack. SOmetimes these forums are not all bad :wink:
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,925 Member
    Options
    I prefer real eggs.
    Yeah, it's hard to beat the nutrition in the extra 50 calories. just thinking about whites in a carton kinda grosses me out.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options

I'm going to think of you every time I eat eggs now. I'm so sad for you! :cry:
  • motivatedmartha
    motivatedmartha Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    Never heard of them - don't think you can buy then in the UK - what are they?
  • iwtfytj
    iwtfytj Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Egg beaters ingredients:
    Egg Whites, Less than 1%: Natural Flavor, Color (Includes Beta Carotene), Spices, Salt, Onion Powder, Vegetable Gums (Xanthan Gum, Guar Gum), Maltodextrin. Vitamins and Minerals: Calcium Sulfate, Iron (Ferric Phosphate), Vitamin E (Alpha Tocopherol Acetate), Zinc Sulfate, Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin B12, Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin), Vitamin B1 (Thiamine Mononitrate), Vitamin B6 (Pyridoxine Hydrochloride), Folic Acid, Biotin, Vitamin D3

Egg ingredients:
    Egg.

19cthrwhxoxpmpng.png

ETA: Sorry, the smartass in me just couldn't help it :tongue:
  • moment_to_arise
    moment_to_arise Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    why not just eat actual eggs?

1/4 cup of egg beaters (equivalent to one egg) is 25 calories
    1 whole large egg (raw) is 74 calories.

if you are really that worried about a 50 calorie difference between a food product and a food, you need to rethink your lifestyle. that's just my humble opinion though.
  • kikicooks
    kikicooks Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    What your aunt probably means is that the egg beaters are processed; so if you look at the list of ingredients, there's several processed ingredients in there. This isn't true if you just eat egg whites instead.

So whether or not you eat them depends on whether you care to eat or avoid processed foods.

This.

I prefer a real, whole egg.
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    Nay to egg beaters.

Yay to the incredible, edible egg.

BTW, most everything is processed, it is just a matter of how it is processed and what is added during the processing.
  • KeepGoingKylene
    KeepGoingKylene Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    If I am having eggs as a meal I just use real eggs, yolk and all. I do however keep a carton of the french toast flavor egg creations in my fridge if I am having a craving for something and need a low calorie snack. It's like dessert!