When did you feel 'slim' enough for gym?

Options

Replies

• Penfoldsplace
    Options
    I'm a pretty self conscious person and was really nervous about joining the gym, but once I took the first step it really wasn't that bad. People of all sizes, levels of fitness and attitudes join the gym.

The weights area was full of intimidating looking guys with huge arms, but when I looked a bit lost there some of the guys were really helpful and gave me some newbie advice. Most people are just there to do their workout and get out. They don't care what others are doing as long as you aren't hogging lots of equipment or not returning your weight etc. Just make sure you do an induction and learn the etiquette.

If people are going to judge you they are the sort of losers who would judge you wherever you are not just because you're at the gym. Life is full of these people unfortunately you can't let them stop you doing what you want to do.
  • UmmSqueaky
    UmmSqueaky Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest touring a couple gyms in your area and seeing if any of them feel more comfortable to you. I started my weight loss journey at the YMCA and never once felt like anyone was watching me or judging me. I later joined a small, privately owned studio and liked that even better because there were usually only one or two of us in the gym at a time.

This. Gym culture and community varies widely. I love my YWCA. It's a diverse population on all counts, age, ethnicity, income level, fitness. I've never once felt uncomfortable there.
  • FitWarrior7
    FitWarrior7 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Those "healthy" people in the gym got healthy in the gym. No excuses, join up and be a part of it.
  • Hunnergomeow
    Hunnergomeow Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I was a little afraid when I joined the gym for the first time as well, because I admit, I lack confidence. See if your local gym has a ladies section and maybe work out there? Personally, I always go to the ladies section and I love it, but try to get me to go in the rest of the gym and I get extremely uncomfortable. Don't know why, I just do, despite the fact that in my particular gym rude or judging comments will get you thrown out (as will posing in the mirror and that kinda crap), as well as all over the walls they have slogans "no criticism", "In with encouragement. Out with judgement." Yes, there are a lot of skinny/fit people at the gym, but there are a ton of less fit. less healthy people as well. Everyone starts somewhere. There's a reason that my gym (and many others) call themselves a Health Club before they call themselves a Gym.
    When you're at the gym nobody's going to judge you, nobody's even going to care really. The only time I really talk to someone at the gym is if I'm waiting for a machine. Though I will add that people can be really helpful: if you don't know how to use a machine and somebody is using the same one next to it, they're not going to bite your head off if you ask "hey, how does this work?" They're way more focused on doing their own thing than on judging you, trust me.
  • _Josee_
    _Josee_ Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    making fun of fat people at the gym is like going to a hospital to make fun of sick people.

^^^^^^ Exactly !!!
  • marvelmo
    marvelmo Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Many gyms offer a free "try it" week if there are multiple gyms in your area, you could work out for a month or so without a commitment. If your schedule allows, go to gym different times throughout the day. There is a variety of ages, fitness levels and crowds throughout the day/night. Fabulous easy read for overcoming fear is Who ate my cheese? Poses question"what would you do if you were not afraid?" BTW I weihhed 315 working out at gym as others have said, you CAN do this and once you do post to let us know about your experience. I'm sure there are many on forum waiting to see how it went giving them assurance that going to gym at any size, as Martha Stewart says, "is a good thing".
  • missdibs1
    missdibs1 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    when I saw a picture of myself and had that omg no it cannot be moment

Noone judges you at the gym (unless you are beng foolish/trying to hurt yourself)
  • toronto_j
    toronto_j Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Yeah I know how you feel. I say to myself okay when I'm at 160 I'll join the gym because by then I'll be 20 pounds away from my goal and probably be pretty confident with my body. But yeah how do I know that lol?

I'm 186 and I hit the gym 2-3 times a week. There are people both smaller and larger than me.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    Never because I hate gyms.

Edit: I workout at home.
  • culo97
    culo97 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I know a lot of people on here say that you should join a gym no matter what your size is if thats what you want to do. I cant seem to build up the confidence to take the leap and join. Every time I enter the building its full of fit healthy people and I dont feel like I fit in there quite yet. I keep hoping that once I lose X amount of weight I will look the part as it were and not stick out like a sore thumb.

Anyone else felt they had to lose weight before joining the gym?
    I was a teenager and young adult when women were expected to wear leotards and tights or biker shorts to the gym. Think Jane Fonda videos and Olivia Newton John - Lets Get Physical. Talk about pressure and expectations of how to look when working out. The fashion uniform alone kept me out for years. By the mid to late 90s I found out it was OK for women to wear baggy shorts and/or sweats. I felt like I could finally have a chance. Even though some women wear short shorts, leggings, crop or tank tops today, there is no one enforcing a dress code like there was years ago.

That said, I still don't feel slim enough to fit in at the gym. Many times when I go, I'm easily the fattest person there. Including both men and women. I just focus on working out, doing what I need to do. Ignoring the occasional smirks from the sub-100 pound ladies or buff young men in love with themselves. Pretending not to notice the boney anorexics who act as if my fat may be catching if they get too close.

My advice is to make a plan in advance:
    - How much cardio, weights, stretching?
    - How long at each?
    - Which machines?
    - Which free weights?
    - How many reps? How many sets?

If you're focused on your plan, you won't have time to look around at people looking at you.

If you don't have a plan, try a few sessions with a trainer. Or have a friend help you. Once you get started, you can do some research online and on YouTube.

Good luck
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    I walked into a gym at about 500lbs.

The owner gave me some free "personal training" and when he was walking me through the routine, there were a couple machines I couldn't even get ten reps of no weight on (Shoulder Press for one).

So yeah that wasn't the most fun I have ever had. It was also terrifying. It was also embarrassing.

That said - never heard a negative comment from anyone. Most people were incredibly helpful (even the two juice monkey's that went everyday - and I don't say that derisively, more of an inside joke - they were quite open and educated about their "supplementation").

I have a home gym now but I still talk to a number of people I met there.

Don't let the fear of the gym explode in your mind. From my experience, the gym is a pretty supportive place. Obviously this could vary wildly depending on the gym, but at the worst, I doubt any will be as bad as we fear.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    My advice is to make a plan in advance:
    - How much cardio, weights, stretching?
    - How long at each?
    - Which machines?
    - Which free weights?
    - How many reps? How many sets?

If you're focused on your plan, you won't have time to look around at people looking at you.

this is spot on- having a plan will save you from walking around feeling very conscious about not knowing what you are doing- where you are going.

have a plan- be flexible- but have a plan - it goes a long way to relieving tension.
  • JocyChan
    JocyChan Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    You got this! I realize it is easier said than done, but anyone who stares is likely more impressed than anything.
    I am always impressed to see women my build lift more than me, makes me think i should be doing more.

Do what is right for you and don't worry about the others. :)
  • jodycoady
    jodycoady Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    I think the question is "when do you feel 'slim enough' to stop wearing the baggy tees to the gym, and show a bit more of your new curves!
  • faelight
    faelight Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    walk in there with your head up high
    you have every right to, just as much as anyone else :)
  • lemur_lady
    lemur_lady Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Thankyou everyone who took time to reply. I have been through and read all of them.

I think the idea of having some time with a personal trainer for the first few sessions would be a good idea. At least this way I can make sure I am using everything correctly and it'll help settle me in a bit. Hopefully having them there may lead to me meeting some people who will become familiar faces and hopefully let me see that the gym isn't as scary as I fear it will be!

I think I keep waiting to look at myself and think 'yes you have nothing for anyone to pick at any more' and suddenly become the confident person I have always wanted to be. But the more weight I lose the more I realise my confidence issues go deeper than I first thought. I still think I'll have these issues even when I reach goal weight. I'll be waiting a long time to do anything if I wait until im happy with myself.

I'm restarting bellydance lessons next week which I haven't done for about 5 years. Hopefully this will give me a bit of a boost and a nudge to get the courage to join the gym!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I'm restarting bellydance lessons next week which I haven't done for about 5 years. Hopefully this will give me a bit of a boost and a nudge to get the courage to join the gym!

YAY

I'm a dancer- I've been at it for almost a decade- please get back to it- and if you need some moral support- I'm here!!
  • Marcia315
    Marcia315 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    The only person I've ever made fun of at the gym is the chick who spent a 1/2 hour on the elliptical making phone calls and didn't even break a sweat, and I made fun of her because I couldn't figure out why she even bothered to go.

oh, I also make fun of the 25 year old who does her hair, full makeup, dresses in coordinating outfits (including her sneakers and socks and hairbands) and spends more time prancing in front of the guys and looking at herself in the mirror than working out.

Other than that, meh.
  • IWILLBelieveAchieveInspire
    Options
    Let me put it this way..I've been going to the gym for around a year and a half and I still don't feel slim enough.;) Ive lost 65lbs and there are still some days that I feel self conscious. I would say that at the hour i workout I am still one of the largest females there and that sucks. Especially since I work so damn hard. It has everything to do with the negative 'self talk' in my head. It's hard to get beyond comparing yourself to everyone. I have to work on that constantly. Happily I have less days lately that i actually feel uncomfortable in my skin,but i work hard on that. So if i had waited until I 'felt' slim enough I'd still be sitting on my couch. So if you want to go to the gym please just start. Don't wait for a magic number on the scale or for some 'feeling' that you are small enough to go. We all started somewhere. I NEVER judge anyone that is there to improve their health bigger or small. And really..speaking from experience..most of the time i'm so focused on what i'm doing I don't even notice others around me. ;)
  • ME0172
    ME0172 Posts: 200
    Options
    Go to the gym if you're ready to workout in a gym... period. Please please please. I will tell you I have never heard anyone in the gym talk bad about someone overweight in the gym. Never. When I see large people in the gym I think to myself, "You rock!" and wish I could actually tell them that without making it seem like I'm being condescending. Seriously when I see large people in the gym THEY motivate ME.

I know you feel like people are going to look at you or judge you but let me tell you - what they're doing is thinking to themselves, "I'm so proud of them for being here and I don't even know them." Believe me.

And if there is the rare A-hole that would think something negative - screw them. They aren't worth you concerning yourself with.

Good luck! If you're ready to continue your journey by adding the gym then go. It's about you not anyone else.

EDIT: and if you wait until you feel like there is nothing anyone has to pick on you about anymore you'll NEVER go. Hardly anyone has a body they think is perfect... everyone is trying to improve something that's why they're there.