Intuitive Eating

Options

Replies

• PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Awesome for you. Maybe you should go find an intuitive eating website to post on and not a calorie counting site.

I wasn't rude in anything I said or any of my replies. I just wanted to put it out there that other things can work too for people who might find counting calories to be stressful or obsessive. Like myself. I become obsessive when I try to count calories to the T.

No need to be mad or rude that this works for me and I wanted to share in case others might take interest in it or find it helpful.

I am not mad and I'm not being rude. I am glad intuitive eating works for you. This website is a calorie counting website, and people are here to count calories in some form or fashion. This is a method that is proven to work 100% of the time when done correctly. Intuitive eating just can't produce the same results for everyone because there's no constant to measure against.

Again, you might find more like minded people on an intuitive eating website. You even anticipated that you might get a lot of 'hate' from your post-- so you clearly think people aren't going to agree with you. And you're right.... they won't. BECAUSE YOU'RE ON A CALORIE COUNTING WEBSITE.

Actually, a lot of people have agreed that it can work. It's not for everybody and I didn't say it was. I don't think just because it's a calorie counting website that's all I can speak about or offer.

And yes, you are being kind of rude. Proven by your caps lock instead of calmly replying or offering your opinion. As I said earlier, it's not my way or the highway. But clearly, that's what you live by.

LOL you post on a calorie counting site about "intuitive eating" and then *gasp* when people disagree with you they are immediately labeled "rude"….legit critique….

^Exactly what I was thinking :laugh:
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    I have lost approximately a 130lbs. The first 40 or so came from low carbing. The rest came from a combination of intuitive eating and intermittent fasting.

I have not lost a single pound counting a single calorie, weighing food, or logging any data. Many years ago I had that kind of ridiculous relationship with food, and it's just not for me.

There are other ways to lose and maintain weight that don't involve calorie counting, but you really have to be in the right state of mind to live that freely. A lot of people will take intuitive eating as a way to just basically eat what they like all day, every day, with little control. You have to have a lot healthier relationship with self in order to pull this off or it will never work. If not, calorie counting is king. People really need to be honest with themselves about where they are with food and what tools will best help them reach their goals.

Intuitive eating is awesome. It's how human beings traditionally ate, and still do all across the globe. But it requires learning the difference between true hunger and cravings, which can be very difficult in a society where so much of the food is masterfully designed to set off cravings. If control is an issue, as it is for many, people will need something more concrete in order to lose, and even maintain, their losses. Many people will never get to the point of being able to intuitively eat and that's just plain reality.
  • Charlottesometimes23
    Charlottesometimes23 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    I saw a post on here the other day from someone asking if anyone had success with intuitive eating. The census generally said no, the only successful way to lose weight is to count calories.

Well, I'm here to tell you no, it's not true.

Maybe it's just that I'm stubborn (Swedish heritage), but since I began my weight loss journey in August, I've refused to become a slave to my food or to exercise. I've lost 30 lbs since August, and while yes, it is slow, it is CERTAINLY a sustainable lifestyle.

Generally when someone comes on these boards and asks why am I not losing weight? Everyone jumps to 'Buy a food scale and count every morsel that enters your mouth.' Yes, this is effective for many, but I don't see this as something you can keep up every day for the rest of your life. And who wants to do that anyway? Spend more time preparing food by measuring it all out. Not being able to enjoy the occasional treat unless you put it on a scale and figure out its caloric content.

Not me!

I've been eating 'healthier' foods, smaller portions, and exercising. Fueling my body when I'm hungry and leaving the snacks when I'm just bored. But I've also enjoyed pistachio ice cream, beer, reuben sandwiches, all of my favorites within moderation. And no, I've never logged calories on those days. Because I shouldn't have to.

I use My Fitness Pal on occasion to log calories just for the fun of it. Most days are left unfinished, they are ALL estimated calories (gasp! no food scale), and I go a few days or a few weeks without logging.

Overall, I'm a much smaller person now than I was when I began, I'm much happier, and much healthier. I just think it's important to see things from another perspective. It is possible to make a lifestyle change and lose weight without stressing yourself out over calories or how much you burn on a treadmill.

I've read so many posts about TDEE and 20% cuts and 1200 calorie diets and all I'm trying to say here is you can make small changes to your diet, get moving, still enjoy the foods you love, and LOSE WEIGHT!

Hope this helped some of you who fret about eating too many or too little calories. Listen to your body. Be patient with your weight loss. I promise you WILL see changes when you make 'healthy' choices and eat within moderation.

I might get a lot of hate for this post, but I thought it was worth saying.
    Ignore the hate and thanks for posting what has worked for you. I think that intuitive eating/mindful eating is a great idea for some people, particularly those who have lost touch with their hunger cues and have problems with emotional eating. I know several people who have lost and maintained weight this way. It's not for everyone, but neither is calorie counting.

BTW, (not directed at you OP) did I miss the memo somewhere that MyFitnessPal has changed its name to MyCalorieCountingPal?
  • Dewymorning
    Dewymorning Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I find counting calories was so helpful to me because it enabled me to see where the extra calories were coming from and to be able to have those extra treats in a controlled way. I no longer feel guilty when I eat high calorie foods. Finding MFP was liberating, to tell you the truth.

I hope that after being on maintanence a while I can switch to intuitive eating.

Already I don't use my scale so much now because I know what 100 grams of beans looks like, what 5 grams of butter looks like etc.

I have been building these habits for a while and so once I have been at my maintanence routine for a while and feel confident with it I will wean myself off calorie counting and see how I go. I know that it will still be there to return to if I ever need it. :P
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options

Coming onto these boards, it can seem that counting calories is a must and the only way to lose weight. But I feel like it's valid to know that sometimes roughly estimating or just choosing 'good' foods and eating appropriate portions can also work!
    err This is a website about calorie counting so of course calorie counting will be the main topic of conversation. Yes of course if other methods work for you fine and dandy. But why complain that a calorie counting website is talking about calorie counting. It's like going to a website about cars and complaining that all they talk about is cars.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I was never overweight, always on the physically active side, and always ate nutritious, less-processed food my whole life. I was never a binge eater or an emotional eater. No issues with food. Always took my time and stopped eating when I was full. I guess I was intuitively eating without knowing it. It's not like I was a dysfunctional over-eater who needed to train myself how to eat properly so I could become intuitive. I already knew how to eat properly. I just am really crappy at guesstimating and my memory sucks. Maybe it's old age setting in...whatever.

As I got older, I started a slow creep up in weight. Never got to the overweight stage, but I knew I wanted to reverse the trend before I got there. Nothing in my habits seemed to have changed over time. Intuitive eating just no longer worked for me. Calorie counting works. I believe that Intuitive Eating could help me successfully maintain within a somewhat generous weight RANGE, but I am more comfortable maintaining at the more precise 2-3 pound range that I have been in using MFP. I don't want to have to play catch up over and over again with the same 10 - 15 pounds as my intuition fades from time to time.

I could probably wing it at this point but I see no reason to, since this is so stinking easy and most of what I eat is already in my recent or common foods list. MFP helps me track more than just my calories. I make sure I get adequate levels of calcium, fiber and protein in my diet by monitoring these things on MFP. It keeps me aware of what I'm consuming. I've been successfully maintaining here for almost 3 years doing it this way. I don't feel that it is obsessive in any way. It's more like a healthy habit that I keep up - like brushing my teeth. It takes about 3 minutes out of my day. Big deal.
  • nikkihk
    nikkihk Posts: 487 Member
    Options

Coming onto these boards, it can seem that counting calories is a must and the only way to lose weight. But I feel like it's valid to know that sometimes roughly estimating or just choosing 'good' foods and eating appropriate portions can also work!
    err This is a website about calorie counting so of course calorie counting will be the main topic of conversation. Yes of course if other methods work for you fine and dandy. But why complain that a calorie counting website is talking about calorie counting. It's like going to a website about cars and complaining that all they talk about is cars.

^This.

I totally get what you are trying to say OP? But at the same time, it makes no sense in an environment built to do exactly what you are arguing against. Counting calories might not be the only way to lose weight, but calorie deficit IS the only way to lose weight and the only way to know if you are in calorie deficit is... ta da... Counting. It's a crazy mathematics thing... insane right?

We could feel our way to a better body and have success at it... but if we want to be SURE we'll have success at it, a little in/out estimation will speed up the process. I'd personally rather not take 5 years to do something I could accomplish in 5 months, and lets be serious, it takes like 5 mins to log food, not really a big commitment. PLUS, it keeps people accountable to recognizing portions, accountable for their intake, and will help them track what could be causing them to gain/lose weight over extended periods of time.

Anyway, long story short... I'm not sure what you were trying to accomplish here? It seems to me the reason people join a site like this is because their current methods of "intuitive eating" ISN'T working for them, if it was... they wouldn't be here. And to tell them they don't need what they came to the site for in the first place? Is kinda silly.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options

^This.

I totally get what you are trying to say OP? But at the same time, it makes no sense in an environment built to do exactly what you are arguing against. Counting calories might not be the only way to lose weight, but calorie deficit IS the only way to lose weight and the only way to know if you are in calorie deficit is... ta da... Counting. It's a crazy mathematics thing... insane right?

We could feel our way to a better body and have success at it... but if we want to be SURE we'll have success at it, a little in/out estimation will speed up the process. I'd personally rather not take 5 years to do something I could accomplish in 5 months, and lets be serious, it takes like 5 mins to log food, not really a big commitment. PLUS, it keeps people accountable to recognizing portions, accountable for their intake, and will help them track what could be causing them to gain/lose weight over extended periods of time.

Anyway, long story short... I'm not sure what you were trying to accomplish here? It seems to me the reason people join a site like this is because their current methods of "intuitive eating" ISN'T working for them, if it was... they wouldn't be here. And to tell them they don't need what they came to the site for in the first place? Is kinda silly.

I understand the feeling of the OP - The thread is probably worded a little strongly, however reading between the lines I think it was written out of frustration.

Whilst a majority of MFP members make use of the very helpful calorie counter - you do not have to us this to be a member of MFP and get the benefit of what the site offers.

In the very own words of MFP:

'Flexibility - our system can support any diet like Atkins, the South Beach Diet, the Zone, and more. No matter what diet you're on, we can help.'

Whilst MFP understand that there are many roads to take to get to the same destinations - this enlightenment isn't realised by some of it's members and see anybody losing weight not using the IIFYM (calorie counting method) as just plain old wrong.

The truth is diets iifym, aitkins, primal, IE, IF - all require sacrifice!

What makes people chose one or the other is how easy they find paying the price.

Personally I enjoy IE and anyone if welcome to check my diary!:smile:
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

^This.

stop being a slave to food!
  • thatpixichick
    thatpixichick Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Intuitive eating is a great goal to eventually aim for when looking to maintain, but for most people it doesn't work when losing weight. Following their intuition with what to eat, when, and how much is what caused them to feel the need to lose weight/get healthier in the first place!

I'm pretty much at maintenance now, just wanting to shift a couple of vanity pounds.. I still log because without logging, an "oh go on then" late night treat (usually a massive bowl of fries with salt, vinegar, and lots of ketchup, and sometimes 2 slabs of bread) becomes a daily habit and the pounds start creeping back on. I still need the "evidence" in front of me so I can clearly see that yep, I've gone well over my calories all thanks to that little "snack"!
    I'm not quite ready to take the stabilisers off yet :smile:
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options

We could feel our way to a better body and have success at it... but if we want to be SURE we'll have success at it, a little in/out estimation will speed up the process. I'd personally rather not take 5 years to do something I could accomplish in 5 months

The speed of weight loss has zip, zero, nada to do with whether you count calories or not. There are a ton of slow losers on this board who meticulously count calories. And then there are people like me, who has lost close to 100lbs in the last 9 months, that don't.

Rate of loss is down to degree of deficit, regardless of what methods you use to create said deficit.
  • KnM0107
    KnM0107 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I LOVE intuitive eating! I counted to lose weight, but always had the goal of not having to count for the rest of my life. I learned all I could while counting and switched to intuitive eating for maintenance. I maintained for a year doing this and then decided to lose a bit more fat so I logged, but was more approximation. I have since switched back to intuitive eating and am maintaining my new weight. I have never owned a food scale either.

I would say for most people who are overweight and obese calorie counting is needed at least in the beginning. I would have failed if I would have jumped to intuitive eating from the start. I didn't have the ability to distinguish between real hunger and emotional hunger. I had to re learn what my body was actually telling me. People need a good foundation first and calorie counting can provide that.

MFP is much more than a calorie counting site. Yes, it is available here, but you can also track exercise and water intake which is what I use the site for now. Some people use the site strictly for friendships and support. There is room for everyone here.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,290 Member
    Options
    Awesome for you. Maybe you should go find an intuitive eating website to post on and not a calorie counting site.

I wasn't rude in anything I said or any of my replies. I just wanted to put it out there that other things can work too for people who might find counting calories to be stressful or obsessive. Like myself. I become obsessive when I try to count calories to the T.

No need to be mad or rude that this works for me and I wanted to share in case others might take interest in it or find it helpful.

I am not mad and I'm not being rude. I am glad intuitive eating works for you. This website is a calorie counting website, and people are here to count calories in some form or fashion. This is a method that is proven to work 100% of the time when done correctly. Intuitive eating just can't produce the same results for everyone because there's no constant to measure against.

Again, you might find more like minded people on an intuitive eating website. You even anticipated that you might get a lot of 'hate' from your post-- so you clearly think people aren't going to agree with you. And you're right.... they won't. BECAUSE YOU'RE ON A CALORIE COUNTING WEBSITE.

Good god! Let people post what they want. There is a broad range of people on here. If you don't relate to the post..then don't comment.. how bout that? Intuitive eating is a fair and good topic of discussion. I swear… hungry people on here are such grouches.
  • ndj1979
    Options

Good god! Let people post what they want. There is a broad range of people on here. If you don't relate to the post..then don't comment.. how bout that? Intuitive eating is a fair and good topic of discussion. I swear… hungry people on here are such grouches.

so people that calorie count can't post about intuitive eating, on a calorie counting website? Is this not a public thread?

If you look at VJ's diary, you will see that she is not hungry and does her fair share of eating...

but way to make assumptions about people you know absolutely nothing about...
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

so people that calorie count can't post about intuitive eating, on a calorie counting website? Is this not a public thread?

If you look at VJ's diary, you will see that she is not hungry and does her fair share of eating...

I've got to agree with ndj - you cannot make assumptions about people on the forums.

'hungry people on here are such grouches'

There are plenty on non hungry people that are grouches as well!!!:smile:

Outside of that everything else ndj has just said is DERP!

These forums are for everyone - regardless of diet.

ndj - if IE offends you so much - then move on to a thread that you enjoy.

JZwy8Id.gif

As far as the comment that calorie counting works 100% of the time when done correctly - seriously (proof please).

I'm a big fan of calorie counting but like every other diets it's restrictive and not everyone (following it 100% accurately) will be willing to pay the price.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,571 Member
    Options
    IMO, intuitive eating can really only be applied by people with a healthy insight on food overall. It more than likely wouldn't work with a person who suffers from an eating disorder, body dysmorphia, or food addict. For them, calorie counting (whether to lose or gain weight) would be pretty essential.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ndj1979
    Options

I've got to agree with ndj - you cannot make assumptions about people on the forums.

JZwy8Id.gif

As far as the comment that calorie counting works 100% of the time when done correctly - seriously (proof please).

I'm a big fan of calorie counting but like every other diets it's restrictive and not everyone (following it 100% accurately) will be willing to pay the price.

if the intuitive eaters want to have a private conversation they are free to start a private group and ban me from joining.

Until then, I will continue to comment on public threads that are open to the public.
  • tennisdude2004
    Options
    IMO, intuitive eating can really only be applied by people with a healthy insight on food overall. It more than likely wouldn't work with a person who suffers from an eating disorder, body dysmorphia, or food addict. For them, calorie counting (whether to lose or gain weight) would be pretty essential.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Agreed - there's not one diet out there that will suit everyone.

So why can't we all just focus on the end goal - offer advice on what has worked for us and try not to push what we do on to others.

This post is entitled intuitive eating - and unless I've got the wrong end of the stick anyone how is interested in the subject would thing - sounds of interest I'll have a look and see if I can learn anything.

Sadly the Anti-support Team see it as an opportunity to hijack what would otherwise be a useful thread for the people who are interest.
  • birdiecs
    birdiecs Posts: 237 Member
    Options

Really? Nasty Obsession, well isn't that just full of sunshine.

If you insult what a website is primarily geared to be used for, don't expect a pat on the back doll.
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

JZwy8Id.gif

if the intuitive eaters want to have a private conversation they are free to start a private group and ban me from joining.

Until then, I will continue to comment on public threads that are open to the public.

That one comment you've made there ndj sums you up perfectly!!!!!