pasta

Options
marygirl05
marygirl05 Posts: 254 Member
when weighing out pasta do I do this before or after I cook it?

Replies

• tlp8rb
    tlp8rb Posts: 556 Member
    Options

If you are following the serving size on the package, you measure/weigh before cooking. Regardless of the type of pasta, most 2 ounce servings (dry) of smaller pastas are more or less 1 cup cooked. But you can't "pack down" the cup. Just scoop a cup full, loosely packed. Here's a guideline to other pasta types:

Uncooked pasta of similar sizes and shapes may be interchanged in recipes if it is measured by weight, (not volume.) Just follow this guide:

Linguine, Spaghetti, or Vermicelli:
    4 ounces dry = 2 to 3 cups cooked
    8 ounces dry = 4 to 5 cups cooked
    16 ounces dry = 8 to 9 cups cooked

Macaroni, Penne, or Rotini:
    4 ounces dry = 2 1/2 cups cooked
    8 ounces dry = 4 1/2 cups cooked

Fine or Medium Egg Noodles:

Hope this helps you. I have it printed out and taped to the inside of the cabinet door where the pasta is stored!!!

Connie
  • marygirl05
    marygirl05 Posts: 254 Member
    Options

If you are following the serving size on the package, you measure/weigh before cooking. Regardless of the type of pasta, most 2 ounce servings (dry) of smaller pastas are more or less 1 cup cooked. But you can't "pack down" the cup. Just scoop a cup full, loosely packed. Here's a guideline to other pasta types:

Uncooked pasta of similar sizes and shapes may be interchanged in recipes if it is measured by weight, (not volume.) Just follow this guide:

Hope this helps you. I have it printed out and taped to the inside of the cabinet door where the pasta is stored!!!

Connie

Thanks so much.
  • tlp8rb
    Options
    Another source (livelovelaughlearn) gives these guildelines which include volume measurements. Not sure how to do that with things like spaghetti, so I go by weight:

Type
    Uncooked
    Quantity Cooked

Weight
    Quantity Measure
    Small to Medium
    Dry Pasta Shapes
    (Elbow macaroni, shells,
    fusilli, penne, etc.).................................2 oz. .................................1/2 Cup .................................1 Cup
    Small to Medium
    Dry Pasta Shapes................................. 4 oz. .................................1 Cup ....................................2 Cups
    Small to Medium
    Dry Pasta Shapes..................................8 oz................................... 2 Cups ..................................4 Cups
    Long Dry Pasta
    (Spaghetti, vermicelli,
    fettuccine, etc.) .................................... 4 oz. ..................................3/4 Inch Dia. Bunch................. 2 Cups
    Long Dry Pasta..................................... 8 oz. ..................................1 1/2 Inch Dia. Bunch ..............4 Cups
    Fresh Egg Noodles ............................... 8 oz. ..................................(no dry measure)......................2 1/2 Cups

Connie
  • MamaRiss
    MamaRiss Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I prefer to weigh everything rather than use volume. So I tested today and 100 grams of dry pasta was 220 grams cooked. Makes measuring my bit of the whole pot a lot easier
  • tlp8rb
    Options
    I prefer to weigh everything rather than use volume. So I tested today and 100 grams of dry pasta was 220 grams cooked. Makes measuring my bit of the whole pot a lot easier

Exactly - whether in ounces or in grams, the dry volume roughly doubles. But in whose world is 2 ounces of pasta enough ??? :laugh:
  • MamaRiss
    MamaRiss Posts: 481 Member
    Options

Exactly - whether in ounces or in grams, the dry volume roughly doubles. But in whose world is 2 ounces of pasta enough ??? :laugh:

I know! I ended up giving myslef a portion and a half, 330 grams cooked, and that was perfect. Hopefully soon with more portion control a single serving will actually be almost satisfying :)
  • SpencersHeart
    SpencersHeart Posts: 170 Member
    Options

Connie

Thank you Connie so much for posting this.

I wasn't measuring correctly and now I read that I can eat more! YAY!