Will lifting weights help with the stubborn fat in my legs?

Options
I currently weigh 126 pounds at 5'4 and I am 20 years old. I'm pear shaped with a small waist but my hips are still a little too big. If I lose more weight, my ribs will definitely stick out. My only problem is that the back of my thighs are still a little chunky and I'm getting frustrated. I do squats, lunges, donkey kicks, etc. and nothing is working well enough. Maybe I need to do it more often? Do you think lifting heavy weights while doing those exercises would help? I'm afraid of gaining muscle under the fat, but I was told that muscle burns fat.

Replies

• JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    You still need to lose fat there, probably. So, lift, eat at a moderate deficit and have patience. You will not gain muscle at a deficit, and you certainly won't without trying.
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    Why are you afraid of muscle? Muscle will make your legs look smaller. Yes, you need to add more resistance when doing your squats and lunges, and add deadlifts to your routine. Go beyond using your bodyweight and add progressively heavier weights.

You can't control where the fat will come off. Just continue eating at a reasonable deficit and start lifting weights. You'll get there.
  • Aihs808
    Aihs808 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Why are you afraid of muscle? Muscle will make your legs look smaller. Yes, you need to add more resistance when doing your squats and lunges, and add deadlifts to your routine. Go beyond using your bodyweight and add progressively heavier weights.

You can't control where the fat will come off. Just continue eating at a reasonable deficit and start lifting weights. You'll get there.

I'm only afraid that the muscle will build under the fat and look bad. I definitely want muscle though. Thank you for the advice :)
  • Aihs808
    Aihs808 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    You still need to lose fat there, probably. So, lift, eat at a moderate deficit and have patience. You will not gain muscle at a deficit, and you certainly won't without trying.

I will, thank you!