10 Miler in a Month?

Options
I run on a pretty regular basis (3-4 times a week) and I'm used to running about 3-5 miles every time I run. Last year I ran a few 5k's and moved on to a couple 10k's. I really enjoyed them so I've been looking for some this year. At the end of March there is a 10k which I plan to do and I'm not concerned about, I know I'll be able to handle it. However, the second week of April there is a 10 mile run which I would like to do, but I'm not sure if it's realistic. I run pretty slow (11-12 minute miles), so I don't really think I'm at risk to injuring myself, but I wonder if I would get about 7 miles into it and then just not have the base to continue on. Any thoughts?

My current workout schedule is:
M- Easy Run 45 min
T- Strength Train
W- Interval Hill Sprints
R - Run or Rest
F - Strength Train
S- Long Run
Su- Rest

I am eating for weight loss right now, and I'm sticking to 1700 calories with an emphasis on trying to stay below 40-45% carbs.

Replies

• JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I'm not an expert, but I think if you add a mile to your long run each week, and maybe a few more minutes to your easy run, you'll be fine. I did my first (and only, so far) 10k having never run more than 4 miles, and I was fine, so I think it you can at least get to 8 or 9, you'll be ok for the race.
  • acloern1985
    acloern1985 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Runs4Wine
    Runs4Wine Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I think you should be able to do it as PP mentioned, add 1 mile each week to your long run - and expect to run even slower. I think it's doable with your current training plan.

That's how I did it for my 1/2 marathon training. IMO 10 miles is where my body starts to fight back and is a great long distance (for me). I'm looking at doing a 10miler later in the fall :)