Stronglifts 5x5 - Barbell Row help

Options
2»

Replies

• TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    I switched to dumbells (Kroc rows) because once I got to heavier weights my lower back became part of the equation instead of the upper back that the rows are supposed to be working.

For that very reason, I've switched to the chest-supported T-bar row at the gym. I realize that doesn't help OP, but I figured - given the above - that another suggestion for others would be useful.
  • Bearpunk
    Bearpunk Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    For what it's worth, I would suggest investing in a copy of Mark Rippetoe's "Starting Strength". He does a good job of breaking down how to do a proper barbell row (as well as the other lifts in SL as I recall). He has an alternate programming framework, but the mechanics of the lifts are the same and he breaks them down really well.

I BB Row to the floor and find engages my lower back and hamstrings without overly fatiguing them, unless I did a heavy squat session the day before and am fatigued from that. For me, the main advantage of starting each rep from the floor is the same as for deadlifts: it makes the lift more difficult because you depend on strength rather than your stretch reflex and it gives you a chance to re-set your form if necessary. You don't want to turn it into a break or anything, but you can do a quick check to make sure your lower back is arched, your shoulder blades are tight, etc. And to be honest, if you're new enough that you're having trouble with basic form, then the difference between a 35-degree angle and a 45-degree angle is likely not that important... assuming you're protecting your lower back, engaging the right muscles and developing the stretch in your hamstring.

Now that I think about it, I suspect you would have more potential for getting out of form if you deadlift the weight up and then lower yourself down into position. I would rather be in good form all the way through. That's not a knock against the people here who do that successfully or anything, just a different style.
  • presbyreformed
    presbyreformed Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    The barbell row is one that I would not recommend for anyone unless you are already extremely well conditioned and can handle the movements comfortably. The position required for any bent-back lifting can put your back into peril with just a slightly wrong movement. There are so many other good workouts for back that I would stay away from this one.

This was one reason I abandoned SL 5x5. Of course the main reason I left it was the impossibilty of anyone adding 5 lbs per workout for 14 weeks.... There are much better workout routines for the non professional bodybuilders out there.... My .02

I'd be interested in hearing what other routines you rate? I'm a complete noob so always looking for more info.

I use two different weight lifting routines at different times. One is a 12 week gain 40 lbs of 1 Rep Max heavy lift on Squat, Bench, Deadlift and Shoulder. The other is a 12 week high rep lower lift weight using the same movements. I alternate them because it is unrealistic to think you can gain 40 lbs of 1RM back-to-back, so when I complete the one I switch to the other to keep my muscles confused and working hard.

These four major muscle groups lifts will work every muscle in your body, believe me; just try lifting the Squat with poor form: you will feel it in your back!. No need to punish your back with the barbell row. If you wish I can privately send you a spreadsheet I use that gives the schedule for each routine.
  • sjaplo
    sjaplo Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't do them from the floor with short plates (usually I don't do them from the floor either way). For what it's worth, I usually stick with bent over rows if I'm using a barbell, and I like to first bring myself upright like in a dead lift then lean forward and begin the rows.

Me too and I return it to the floor the same way.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't do them from the floor with short plates (usually I don't do them from the floor either way). For what it's worth, I usually stick with bent over rows if I'm using a barbell, and I like to first bring myself upright like in a dead lift then lean forward and begin the rows.

that's what I do- I do a rack pull essentially (if I'm starting off the rack or safety rails)- walk back- then bend over. Then I 'rack pull' from that position back up to standing then walk it forward to re-rack it.
  • FitRican
    FitRican Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Look at this video it shows almost perfect form.

http://stronglifts.com/how-to-master-barbell-row-technique/

Try to Row Each Rep From The Floor. Because you’ll never train your upper-back fully if you let the bar hang in the air. Barbell Row like you Deadlift: with the bar starting and returning to the floor on each rep. The barbell should be above the middle of your feet when you start Rowing, same stance as on Deadlifts.

I have short arm, so to keep perfect form I raise the bar 2-3 inches using the gym rack equipment. My back is always parallel to the floor, never incline, never rounded. I use the technique to return the bar to the floor because is more effective + reduces the probability of getting injured.
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    When rowing lighter weights, I put 45s down on the floor to elevate the bar to the proper height.

You could use anything of the proper thickness, though. A couple of sections of 2x10 would do the trick. You might need two stacked on each side looking at the diameter of those plates.
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    I don't return the bar to the floor. I just row it and let it fully extend at the bottom but it doesn't touch the floor. There's no need to.

^this.

You don't have to do the Pendlay version, you can do a traditional row. No need to deload and reset.
    212019156 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    You could try t-bar rows. I think they are easier to learn (at least I have found it easier to teach people for some reason).
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    With Pendlay Rows (which is actually what Stronglifts calls for) you are supposed to return it to the ground. But you are supposed to return it to the height it would be if you had on 45lbs plates, and yeah, I still can't do rows with 135lbs. Don't know that I ever will. You can bend your knees a little extra to bring yourself closer to the ground while still keeping your back flat and horizontal. You can set it on something, like extra plates or I've used one of those Rebook steps. Or I also do them in the power cage putting the support bars on the lowest level. You can switch to traditional rows but the reason they suggest Pendlay is supposedly it uses your lats more than traditional.