Juicing and Weightloss

Options
Lets be honest...people go on juice fast to lose weight. I have yet to see anybody do it for "cleansing" benefits.

But with that being said...does anybody know of a person that has juice fasted, lost weight, and kept it off? because I dont

Replies

• dwarfiegodsmack
    dwarfiegodsmack Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    nope
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Why so eager to bash something you know nothing about?

I lost weight juice fasting, and it didn't come back.
  • elbaldwin0525
    elbaldwin0525 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Not bashing...just asking a question. But to clarify, I have been doing research on juicing and have been looking into videos of people who have lost a considerable amount of weight doing so and I have come to the conclusion that juicing just is not a good regimen for a extended period of time. Extended meaning 11+ days....i think 7-10 days may help a person jumpstart or custom themselves to eating healthier and (i) think juicing it is a very healthy way to get fruits into a diet however but I do not see how it helps in the long term in regards to fat or weight loss.(I) think that juicing for 'weightloss' is just another YO-Yo diet for most people IMO.
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    Lets be honest...people go on juice fast to lose weight. I have yet to see anybody do it for "cleansing" benefits.

But with that being said...does anybody know of a person that has juice fasted, lost weight, and kept it off? because I dont

Normally, I keep my experience with juicing more to myself, but since you worded your post looking for a reaction, here's my reaction.

* DISCLAIMER * I am NOT promoting juice fasting. I am ONLY responding to the OP's question with my own experience.

Almost a year ago now, I did juice only for 10 days. Then, for the remainder of about 4 months, I did juice 4X per day, + a huge salad, which I started adding tuna or black beans + mixed nuts on. I lost about 30 lbs over that time, and have kept it off. I saw a nutritionist after the 4 months, who used MFP to calculate my macros, and tipped me off to the site. Since then, I eat food, and use MFP to track.

Recently, someone asked me how I did it, or what I've been doing, or whatever. Without even thinking about it, I just said, I eat less and move more. Because that's what I'm doing now.

As for the whole 'detox' and 'cleansing' stuff.... Again, completely anecdotal.... but, I think there are people who do what they consider to be a 'juice cleanse' to do what they think is 'rid themselves of toxins' or to simply make themselves feel freer of the *kitten* that they have been eating, and hopefully, lead them to making better food choices in the future. That is, they believe that by consuming nothing but juice for a few days, that afterwards, they will experience some benefit from this practice.

You may notice that in the preceding paragraph, I use terms like, ' they think' and 'they believe' because I'm NOT saying that IS what someone will experience from a 'juice fast...' I'm saying that's what many people who do it expect. I've also seen lots of posts from people who 'claim' that's exactly what they did experience. And regardless of what everyone who 'reacts' to their 'testimonials' says.... if those people 'believe' that's what happened, and they 'believe' they got a positive experience from it, then, ( I believe ) they got some benefit from it, even if it was all psychological.

I left out any negative opinions I have of juicing, since you didn't ask.

And I'm going to repeat Down-Arrow.png

* DISCLAIMER * I am NOT promoting juice fasting. I am ONLY responding to the OP's question with my own experience.

And to remind you that you stated that anecdotal evidence was acceptable....
    .does anybody know of a person that has juice fasted, lost weight, and kept it off?
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Not bashing...just asking a question. But to clarify, I have been doing research on juicing and have been looking into videos of people who have lost a considerable amount of weight doing so and I have come to the conclusion that juicing just is not a good regimen for a extended period of time. Extended meaning 11+ days....i think 7-10 days may help a person jumpstart or custom themselves to eating healthier and (i) think juicing it is a very healthy way to get fruits into a diet however but I do not see how it helps in the long term in regards to fat or weight loss.(I) think that juicing for 'weightloss' is just another YO-Yo diet for most people IMO.
    Alright, i do agree with you after all. I think the perfect place for a juice fast is make a sudden break from bad habits. I did a 4 day juice fast, lost 8 LBS that never came back, but the important thing was that, after i was done, healthy food tasted good to me. I no longer craved greasy, oily processed things, or salty things. If someone were to simply do a fast, and then go back to eating crap food, they would be doing themselves no favors.

For long term juicing use, i view it as the world's best vitamin pill. That is, something that is added to an already healthy diet, but not taken in lieu of food. I know that when i'm including juice on a regular basis, i feel fantastic, and well energized.
  • AmyEdwards2
    Options
    I have been researching Juicing so I am glad I found this topic. Now I do not want to juice fast or lose weight quickly or even neccassarily replace meals with them. I am however doing the 30 day juice challenge. I read up on it and saw that juicing claims to have a lot of health benifits and helps with all sorts of health ailments. One of my main goals for losing weight is to get healthy. Looking better will be the bonus. I am only on day 2 of my challenge but I thought why not try this. So far I have been able to actually stay within my calories each day AND avoid my biggest problem sugar. I did notice how full of energy I also feel but that might just be because I have not consumed so much sugar.

I am hoping that I can maintain this every day this month along with getting water in and getting exercise in (3 times a week) once the month is over I will see if I want to continue having a juice a day or to try and speed up weight loss by a meal supliment. I doubt that will happen 1 because I LOVE to eat 2 it is not about fast weight loss for me just steady. Sure I would love to lose 80 pounds by Sunday but it just isn't going to happen. Occassionally I might use the juice as a meal this month simply because some of them do have quite a few calories in them. For the most part though when I have a juice like that I plan on just having a lighter lunch or a lighter breakfast.
  • Kamacoma
    Kamacoma Posts: 10
    Options
    Yes- me. I went on a 3 day juice cleanse to quickly and healthily get over a plateau. Lost 4 pounds, and did not gain it back once I resumed eating at my recommended calorie limit.
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Regaining weight after a weight loss is the likely outcome of any plan. It's not unique to juice.

I don't juice. But I have lost weight water fasting before, and kept it off.

Whether you regain weight, or not, comes down to how much control, will power, and strength you have after cutting the fat. If you lack control, you'll regain after ANY weight loss program, including calorie counting/moderation.

It amazes me that so many people on this board are so anti "fad" dieting, spending copious amounts of time laughing at more extreme, fast methods of weight loss, while following a supposed "lifestyle change" that has almost as bad long term results. There is no end to failed calorie counters who were unable to make the transition into long term maintenance, if they ever even get that far.

How you lose the weight, and at what rate, is nowhere near as important as your ability to maintain that loss. If you can pull that off, lose how you want, as fast as you want, as long as you remain healthy and feel fine.
  • elbaldwin0525
    Options
    Agreed...well said
    Regaining weight after a weight loss is the likely outcome of any plan. It's not unique to juice.

I don't juice. But I have lost weight water fasting before, and kept it off.

Whether you regain weight, or not, comes down to how much control, will power, and strength you have after cutting the fat. If you lack control, you'll regain after ANY weight loss program, including calorie counting/moderation.

It amazes me that so many people on this board are so anti "fad" dieting, spending copious amounts of time laughing at more extreme, fast methods of weight loss, while following a supposed "lifestyle change" that has almost as bad long term results. There is no end to failed calorie counters who were unable to make the transition into long term maintenance, if they ever even get that far.

How you lose the weight, and at what rate, is nowhere near as important as your ability to maintain that loss. If you can pull that off, lose how you want, as fast as you want, as long as you remain healthy and feel fine.
  • elbaldwin0525
    Options
    You have the right mind set and Ill be hear cheering for you on your 30 day challenge. Let me know how it goes!
    I have been researching Juicing so I am glad I found this topic. Now I do not want to juice fast or lose weight quickly or even neccassarily replace meals with them. I am however doing the 30 day juice challenge. I read up on it and saw that juicing claims to have a lot of health benifits and helps with all sorts of health ailments. One of my main goals for losing weight is to get healthy. Looking better will be the bonus. I am only on day 2 of my challenge but I thought why not try this. So far I have been able to actually stay within my calories each day AND avoid my biggest problem sugar. I did notice how full of energy I also feel but that might just be because I have not consumed so much sugar.

I am hoping that I can maintain this every day this month along with getting water in and getting exercise in (3 times a week) once the month is over I will see if I want to continue having a juice a day or to try and speed up weight loss by a meal supliment. I doubt that will happen 1 because I LOVE to eat 2 it is not about fast weight loss for me just steady. Sure I would love to lose 80 pounds by Sunday but it just isn't going to happen. Occassionally I might use the juice as a meal this month simply because some of them do have quite a few calories in them. For the most part though when I have a juice like that I plan on just having a lighter lunch or a lighter breakfast.
  • HoneydewLou
    Options
    Nope. I think fasts in general are a crap idea. Unless you are medically advised, before bloods or something.
  • AmyEdwards2
    Options
    You have the right mind set and Ill be hear cheering for you on your 30 day challenge. Let me know how it goes!

Thanks!!
  • Kamacoma
    Kamacoma Posts: 10
    Options
    Something I forgot to mention- the juice fast reset my palette. I HATE salads, but during my "cleanse," all I wanted was a huge bowl of lettuce and avocado. Hah. That being said, it's tough. Don't want to do that again for a while, but I do plan on incorporating fresh juice into my diet regularly.