Just Starting Phentermine

Options

Replies

• amandanilo
    amandanilo Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I am a health care provider and I have prescribed this medication a lot with the healthy eating and exercise discussion with the patient. I am sad to say that the long term effects of the weight loss don't stick around. You must have all the good habits in place so that when you stop the medication those habits will carry you through to the end goal of maintenance. I would say that 9 out of 10 patients put the weight back on and usually add more than they started with. There are studies that back this as well. I don't have them to post at this time.

As a health care provider, I appreciate the info!

I'm curious- have you found that your patients ( or those in the studies) gained the weight back because they went back to their old habits? Or did they gain all the weight back even though they continued with a healthy lifestyle?

My guess would be that since your appetite comes back to normal once you stop, people end up caving in and eating whatever they want again. Is that the case?

Thanks!
  • ALNoog
    ALNoog Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I am a health care provider and I have prescribed this medication a lot with the healthy eating and exercise discussion with the patient. I am sad to say that the long term effects of the weight loss don't stick around. You must have all the good habits in place so that when you stop the medication those habits will carry you through to the end goal of maintenance. I would say that 9 out of 10 patients put the weight back on and usually add more than they started with. There are studies that back this as well. I don't have them to post at this time.

I'm curious- have you found that your patients ( or those in the studies) gained the weight back because they went back to their old habits? Or did they gain all the weight back even though they continued with a healthy lifestyle?

My guess would be that since your appetite comes back to normal once you stop, people end up caving in and eating whatever they want again. Is that the case?

Thanks!

I'm not in health care but yes that's the case.... Same with any diet.... NO if you keep eating health you won't gain it all back but yes if you go back to eating how you were you will gain it back... That's just common sense with any "diet" ... Diets usually have an expiration date so once they end and you resume an unhealthy lifestyle you gain back..... If you make an actual lifestyle change with or without the pills and keep it up then no you won't gain.... Problem with the pills is that you can't take them forever so if you don't adapt a lifestyle change it's pointless...

I'm not against people taking them if they so wish all I know is my experience and I felt like I was having a freaking heart attack every time I took it and that wasn't worth losing a few pounds to me...
  • CBC435
    CBC435 Posts: 103 Member
    Options

Thanks!

My best friend did phen only for 3 months plus metformin for her PCOS and lost 50lbs and has continued to lose and keep it off. She keeps the same diet and exercise (she does Zumba once or twice a week) plus walking all over campus. She is getting her PhD and she doesn't have all the time in the world to workout but she has managed to keep it off. And I had another friend who did phen and she lost 50-60lbs and went right back into drinking heavily, crappy food, and no exercise and guess what...she gained it back and then some. So it really matters on how you live without it after. But I think we both already know that.
  • amandanilo
    amandanilo Posts: 62 Member
    Options

Thanks!

My best friend did phen only for 3 months plus metformin for her PCOS and lost 50lbs and has continued to lose and keep it off. She keeps the same diet and exercise (she does Zumba once or twice a week) plus walking all over campus. She is getting her PhD and she doesn't have all the time in the world to workout but she has managed to keep it off. And I had another friend who did phen and she lost 50-60lbs and went right back into drinking heavily, crappy food, and no exercise and guess what...she gained it back and then some. So it really matters on how you live without it after. But I think we both already know that.

Exactly my point!

The common idea in those who aren't familiar with it that say "YOU WILL GAIN IT ALL BACK ONCE YOU STOP" clearly don't understand.

You will gain it back if you fall back to eating unhealthy.
    You will keep the weight off if you continue with a healthy lifestyle.
  • TonyPillz
    TonyPillz Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    lol you actually just made my day
  • SCV34
    SCV34 Posts: 2,048 Member
    Options
    Doesn't MFP stand for My Fitness Pal?
  • CBC435
    Options

Thanks!

Exactly my point!

The common idea in those who aren't familiar with it that say "YOU WILL GAIN IT ALL BACK ONCE YOU STOP" clearly don't understand.

You will gain it back if you fall back to eating unhealthy.
    You will keep the weight off if you continue with a healthy lifestyle.

I don't think people are truthful most of the time that said- I took it and I gained it all back! I would bet money that the bad habits came back. Or when people think they've lost all the weight and now they can go back to their old lifestyle too! No, no, no! It doesn't work. I've been watching "My 600lb Life" on TLC and highly recommend the show to anyone losing weight because it shows first hand that you may have a life changing surgery BUT you have to keep going with your healthy lifestyles. Some people were able to do it and continue and others did not. One lady got the surgery and continued to eat crap after and then would cry because she swore she was losing weight. I put this pill up there with gastric bypass- it can only do so much for a person but it comes down to what you do AFTER the fact not during the process.
  • chaparra71
    chaparra71 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I was referring to people who are psyched up about it because of the results it brings in a few week. I did state it that way. Please read better.

Also,if you are taking prescribed speed, and it is killing your appetite, thus making you not eat, you are NOT just losing fat, you are also losing muscle, a LOT of muscle. So,if that is what you want, go for it.
  • chaparra71
    Options
    One thing people who are on the path of losing weight (like myself) need to remember, is this. Just because someone says that they lost an incredible amount of weight on this stuff in just a few weeks, it is NOT fat loss! People have a strange idea that weight loss is fat weight loss, or that all weight loss is equal. :noway: . That couldn't be farther from the truth. Think about it, use common sense.

Also, take control of your own health, just because a Dr. says something does not necessarily mean it is the right treatment for something.

Well my fat loss and BMI has gone down in 3 months so I'm not sure what else I would be "losing"? 24 pounds of water weight isn't it either. Many people seek professional help from a doctor because what they are doing isn't working. As I've said myself, it was a battle for 2 1/2 years and I ate a strict clean diet plus intense workouts. I think a doctor will have more information and tools to decide if the pill is right for them. Those who have had other risk factors, I can't speak for them. But there's a million medications on the market that will harm your body. Depression, blood pressure meds, and so on can all have adverse effects.

I was referring to people who are psyched up about it because of the results it brings in a few week. I did state it that way. Please read better.

Also,if you are taking prescribed speed, and it is killing your appetite, thus making you not eat, you are NOT just losing fat, you are also losing muscle, a LOT of muscle. So,if that is what you want, go for it.
  • briannagravelle
    briannagravelle Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone I am new to mfp it as been a month of using it now lost 11 pounds, before was doing weight watchers and lost 80 pounds now with a 91 pounds lost I cant seem to loose more, need tricks and motivation , new mfp friends pleasee ad me !! briannagravelle :)
  • chaparra71
    Options
    OOPS! Didn't mean to double post!
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    you like speed, eh?
  • g0at1982
    g0at1982 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Phentermine will make you fatter.
  • CBC435
    Options
    One thing people who are on the path of losing weight (like myself) need to remember, is this. Just because someone says that they lost an incredible amount of weight on this stuff in just a few weeks, it is NOT fat loss! People have a strange idea that weight loss is fat weight loss, or that all weight loss is equal. :noway: . That couldn't be farther from the truth. Think about it, use common sense.

Also, take control of your own health, just because a Dr. says something does not necessarily mean it is the right treatment for something.

Well my fat loss and BMI has gone down in 3 months so I'm not sure what else I would be "losing"? 24 pounds of water weight isn't it either. Many people seek professional help from a doctor because what they are doing isn't working. As I've said myself, it was a battle for 2 1/2 years and I ate a strict clean diet plus intense workouts. I think a doctor will have more information and tools to decide if the pill is right for them. Those who have had other risk factors, I can't speak for them. But there's a million medications on the market that will harm your body. Depression, blood pressure meds, and so on can all have adverse effects.

Yes, thank you I have a bachelor's degree and have a profound reading ability. It is not speed and I don't believe doctors would be prescribing it if it they didn't have a successful outcome from the medication nor everlasting side effects. Everyone has different medical problems and some side effects may be increased due to their health history. All I have experienced is a boost of energy throughout the day and dry mouth for the first month or two. My weight loss did not happen over a few weeks and it has been almost 3 months to get to where I am at. To the contrary, I have leaned into muscle and noticing definition in my arms, back, and stomach area because I continue to work hard on my results. So, I would like to know how you lost a lot of muscle while on phentermine? And no, I am losing fat not muscle because I trust the works of my award winning doctor who checks my process on a monthly basis and includes me on all my body changes.
  • CBC435
    Options
    Hi everyone I am new to mfp it as been a month of using it now lost 11 pounds, before was doing weight watchers and lost 80 pounds now with a 91 pounds lost I cant seem to loose more, need tricks and motivation , new mfp friends pleasee ad me !! briannagravelle :)

Hi Brianna,

Let me get this straight- so far you've lost 80 lbs from WW and now 11 from phen? First off, congrats that is great and definitely keep going! Can I ask what workouts you do and your caloric intake currently?
  • CBC435
    Options
    Phentermine will make you fatter.

I would love to hear more of your experience with gaining weight from phentermine.
  • chaparra71
    Options
    Just to be clear, Dr.'s would be out of jobs if no one was sick. Dr.'s and Pharmaceutical companies work hand in hand. The medicine cabinets of people today are incredible! One medicine is prescribed that takes another medication to counteract the affect of the first, and on andon. And the sheep never question anything! Modern medicine relies on people being sick, plain and simple.

I would personally never leave responsibility for my health and well being in someone else's hand.
  • kckBxer396
    kckBxer396 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I lost almost 50 pounds taking it. I thought my body looked like a lumpy pillow though. I felt terrible and irritable most of the time. When I quit taking it, I gained 60+ pounds in about a year. Now, I'm having a rough time losing the weight. I'm also using MFP because my physician suggested it would help. She refuses to give me anything to speed up the process though. She said, as long as I'm trying, it just takes time. She also reminds me that my exercise routine builds muscle, which would add weight. Also, my weight naturally fluctuates up to 7 pounds depending on what I'm eating. Whatever your choices are, the best of luck in your journey,and I hope it works out in the end. I won't judge you for your route. I don't even know how much you're hoping to lose. Read your profile pic,though. I feel that taking them is contradictory to that statement. Your actions are your own,and the outcome with be what you've put into it. I don't suggest taking them,but that's totally up to you. I'm supportive of people's healthy efforts,and you're welcome to add me if you are looking for friends that will offer encouragement and advice for said healthy efforts. Also, when everyone starts being "mean" (read as tough love) don't deactivate your account. You have to have a lot of dedication for a journey like this. It's the internet, not everyone is going to pat you on the head and hand you a fat free, low carb, chemical *kitten* storm of a cookie. :flowerforyou:
  • ComradeTovarich
    ComradeTovarich Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Whoa guys, where can I score some of this stuff? Sounds crazier than that blue stuff I got off some bald guy down the street.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Let me add that my doctor has put me on these along with a meal plan to follow . Everyone is entitled to their own opinions and I appreciate the advice , with that being said I didn't ask for the rude comments . So again if there's anyone who's using Phentermine please friend request me so that we can support each other !

I read every single comment until this comment and there was not one single RUDE comment. Disagreeing, cautioning, people sharing negative first hand experience, yes, but nothing rude. Sharing personal experience is completely relevant when a weight loss strategy that caries the risk of DEATH is being discussed.

Good luck OP. You can lose weight and get healthy just by changing what you eat and what you do. It's not hard but it does take life-long commitment. A pill won't change that fact. And to risk serious health problems looking for an "easier" way to lose weight; it's very illogical and that's why people are motivated to support you with wise advice, even if it isn't exactly what you want to hear.