One product for both HRM and Fitness tracking

Options
Is anyone aware of one excellent HRM/fitness tracker combo? I don't understand why this has yet to be introduced to our marketplace. I just lost my Fitbit one and want to replace. I loved it, but noticed it kept falling off my waist, so think I will go to a wrist device-- but before I do, thoughts I would see if anyone heard of any new products that do both. BTW I did read about the Polar Loop, it can provide data, but works with a HRM, not independent-- also doesn't count stairs or miles, something I have gotten use to.

Replies

• Ftw37
    Ftw37 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I haven't found an all-in-one yet.

I use the Mio Alpha for HRM (it's a watch, doesn't need a chest strap) along with the Fitbit One. Fitbit has a new band out that might do well for you as well.

Good luck!
  • Geminihuntress
    Geminihuntress Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I've been searching for one as well and I haven't' seen anything.
  • iRun_Butterfly
    iRun_Butterfly Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I think HRM and fitness/activity tracking combo is a great idea, but would hard to implement well into one device. To get the best HR info I think the chest strap type are the most accurate. Some wrist worn devices can pick up your pulse, but I'm not sure about accuracy. Im with you, sure do wish someone could come up with a comprehensive design to meet both needs, but don't see it happening soon.
  • Isilia00
    Options
    I've also been looking for an all-in-one and haven't come across one yet. I like to watch Lifehacker.com for fitness product reviews/rankings--that site is how I found my Fitbit one. Bonus: Lifehacker's comments section is populated with knowledgeable and helpful people.
  • Morganadk2
    Morganadk2 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I tried the fitbitflex, I didn't like the wrist strap and it didn't do stairs,also I found it difficult to put in sleep mode, except when I was chopping veg!( it would go into sleep mode from the chopping) also the wrist band broke and they had to send me a new one , I'd only had it a couple of months..
    I bought the withings pulse , it's good but again it does not do everything ( it does height , not stairs or floors)
  • inktink
    inktink Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I liked my bodymedia fit band, but I didn't like that it had to be worn around the arm. People look at your like you have a third eye because they don't know what it is.

Granted, it doesn't measure heart rate, but I felt like it was very accurate. It takes something like 5000 readings every three seconds? Don't quote me on that.

I'm looking at the Jawbone UP now, but again, no hrm involved there.
  • mzteebell
    mzteebell Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    The Polar Loop is expected to be released this month. It's an all in one tracker.

http://www.polarloop.com/us-en/
  • action_figure
    action_figure Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    There was a kickstarter a while back for the Amiigo fitness band / HRM combo. It looked really good. There's the Basis Band. It's also intriguing. Of course Samsung was supposed to have the fitness band / wifi scale / and HRM that synched seamlessly with their Galaxy S4 fitness suite, but I don't know if the accessories were ever released for that. My personal attempt is going to be the Omate Smart Watch with a bluetooth HRM. I'm going to run Endomondo on it for workouts, and Moves for a general fitness tracker.
  • teecee60
    teecee60 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if this will do everything you are looking for by I like by Polar HRM. There are many styles of watches but what I especially like is the bluetooth chest strap that connects to your mobile device through an app called Polar Beat and it will tell you the distance, heart rate, calories burned etc of any activity you do...walking, running, biking, etc. You don't even need the watch if you are going to use your phone. I use the watch / strap combo when I go to the gym or do any exercise where I basically move in place.

With that being said, I initially bought the strap / watch to monitor my swimming activity as it was supposed to work under water. But it isn't very reliable...so I am still looking for a HRM that will work while swimming laps. I use a Garmin Swim watch to record my time & laps but it does not monitor HR. I'm looking for something that DOES IT ALL as well.
  • action_figure
    action_figure Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    I liked my bodymedia fit band, but I didn't like that it had to be worn around the arm. People look at your like you have a third eye because they don't know what it is.

Granted, it doesn't measure heart rate, but I felt like it was very accurate. It takes something like 5000 readings every three seconds? Don't quote me on that.

Avoid the UP. It sucks. I have one. It's fragile. (The company has sent me two replacements so far.) Good customer service, but it's honestly kinda annoying.
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    I'd love the have the same, but a bracelet just won't work for me. They're bulky and ugly. I wish someone would produce something more discreet, like a HRM chest strap that tracks movement and HR. I wear my Fitbit on my bra, so that would be a simple transition.
  • inktink
    inktink Posts: 135 Member
    Options

Avoid the UP. It sucks. I have one. It's fragile. (The company has sent me two replacements so far.) Good customer service, but it's honestly kinda annoying.

Good to know, thank you!
  • Garfy117
    Garfy117 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I use a bluetooth HRM with my smartphone. I use Endomondo to track activity with it (although there are a variety of other apps that I'm sure are just as good). Works well for me, and synchronises nicely with MFP. I suppose some might find it a pain having to carry the phone around while running etc, but I tend to have it with me anyway (music, emergency contact, and Zombies, Run! apps being the main reasons).

Quite a cheap solution too - most people have a phone already, the apps are cheap or free, and a decent bluetooth hrm (I use a Zephyr) is around £50.
  • sammniamii
    sammniamii Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Just a word on the Polat Bluetooth - it's problematic and after 5 months, totally broken and Polar isn't inforcing their "warrenty" on the unit. I have a Samsung Galaxy S3 - it worked for a while, then stopped. And as I said, Polar isn't "friendly" with the warrenty on it. Their other products they are - just not the Bluetooth.

And on the BodyMedia - it is supposed to support HRM w/ some Garmin monitors, but they are ALL Pricey as heck. So a double whammy there.

I was thinking about an Omron HRM or the Mio Alpha w/ my BM band. I just want to record my HR.

I really wish they would come out with 1 item that does everything, is PC / smartphone (both Android & iOS) syncable and WORKS. LOL - don't ask for much, huh?
  • StephTink76
    StephTink76 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Just a word on the Polat Bluetooth - it's problematic and after 5 months, totally broken and Polar isn't inforcing their "warrenty" on the unit. I have a Samsung Galaxy S3 - it worked for a while, then stopped. And as I said, Polar isn't "friendly" with the warrenty on it. Their other products they are - just not the Bluetooth.

And on the BodyMedia - it is supposed to support HRM w/ some Garmin monitors, but they are ALL Pricey as heck. So a double whammy there.

I was thinking about an Omron HRM or the Mio Alpha w/ my BM band. I just want to record my HR.

I really wish they would come out with 1 item that does everything, is PC / smartphone (both Android & iOS) syncable and WORKS. LOL - don't ask for much, huh?

I had the Polar Bluetooth deal that supposed to use your smartphone... bad bad bad... I returned 2 before I finally just got a refund... Very frustrating!
  • kristy6ward
    kristy6ward Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Garmin is coming out with the Vivofit. Like a fitbit flex but with the ability to sync with a chest strap hrm transmitter. Sad it won't track stairs, I rather like that feature on my fibit one.
  • fozzie500
    fozzie500 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    polar are due to launch the v800 sometime soon,but it won't be cheap, hrm, fitness tracker, gps aimed at triathletes
  • numsquat
    numsquat Posts: 133
    Options
    The Garmin Vivofit is pretty nice, been using it this week, pairing it with my Timex Run Trainer's hrm strap and have been pretty happy with the hardware so far though the Garmin Connect software is pretty basic at this point. Here's a good review by DCRainmaker http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2014/03/garmin-vivofit-review.html
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,157 Member
    Options
    The Basis fitness tracker should do this. Continuous HR through an optical sensor with galvanic skin sensor, and accelerotmeters from what I remember https://www.mybasis.com/ Not exactly what you are looking for, but it is a start.