Speed or Distance: Does it matter which I work on first?

Options
Hello,
I finished my Zombies Run 5k training app about two weeks ago, and since then have been running a 5k every other day in preparation for a race I'm running on April 5th. However, I'm extremely goal oriented, and I'm trying to decide whether I should immediately continue training for a 10k, or work on my speed. I run a 5k EXTREMELY slowly right now (43-45 mins), and feel like if I go much faster I'll burn out, but that at my current pace I could probably go a bit longer. Does it matter which I work on first? I know that one day I would definitely like to do 10k, so it's a when and not an if question. If you say speed, is there a particular "training" program for this other than getting fitter and dropping pounds?

If it makes any difference, I'm still very obese, weighing 224 pounds at 5 foot 7.

Thanks for your help!

Replies

• ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    Endurance first, speed follows.
  • Eric_DeCastro
    Eric_DeCastro Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert by any means, but I would think duration will be what you want so that could mean distance. I run a 5k in 34ish min so I extended my run to 4miles now I'm doing that in about 43ish min. I guess speed will also come into play, because when I can get 4 miles into the 30s (39min) I'm going to extend my run another .2 miles.
  • wolfgate
    wolfgate Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    For developing runners, increasing endurance naturally increases speed. So work on getting the time in first. More distance = more speed.

Few runners need speedwork until they have maximized the time they have to run each week. However, only training endurance can be affect the mojo and playing with speedwork is fun, so if you want to do some faster running, go for it. But not if it prevents you from running longer. Fartleks are a good starting point. Just pick an object a random distance ahead and pick up the pace until you get there. play with it. Or add a few pickups at the end of your run.
  • jaz141
    jaz141 Posts: 32
    Options
    Agree, distance first. Speed will naturally follow.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    Options
    For developing runners, increasing endurance naturally increases speed. So work on getting the time in first. More distance = more speed.

Few runners need speedwork until they have maximized the time they have to run each week. However, only training endurance can be affect the mojo and playing with speedwork is fun, so if you want to do some faster running, go for it. But not if it prevents you from running longer. Fartleks are a good starting point. Just pick an object a random distance ahead and pick up the pace until you get there. play with it. Or add a few pickups at the end of your run.

I mostly agree, with the caveat that jumping into speedwork without the muscle/joint strength built up to handle it will increase injury risk
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    Ditto Endurance speed will come as your endurance builds.
  • rainandwood93
    rainandwood93 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for the advice! Looks like after my race I'll be looking to increase my endurance. As a related question, does anyone have advice on when I should start bridging from a 5k to a 10k? Should I find it super easy (even if I'm not that fast) to run a 5k before I start training? And does anyone have a good training program for building up endurance that they'd recommend?

Sorry for all of the questions. I'm absolutely clueless as you can tell.
  • ZenInTexas
    ZenInTexas Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I like Hal Higdon's plans, he has a variety so you can shoose what fits your lifestyle/goals. http://www.halhigdon.com/ I did C25K myself and what I did was first to start running the 5k distance several times a week, then I moved up to 4 miles several times a week and then I jumped up to 10k. And then I started training for a half marathon. :wink:
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for the advice! Looks like after my race I'll be looking to increase my endurance. As a related question, does anyone have advice on when I should start bridging from a 5k to a 10k? Should I find it super easy (even if I'm not that fast) to run a 5k before I start training? And does anyone have a good training program for building up endurance that they'd recommend?

There is no right or wrong time to start trying to increase your endurance by running for a longer period of time.
    There is no correct distance to run to train for a 5K ( the fast 5K runners are logging 60+ miles per week).

Just try to add a little bit to your run. A 1/4 mile here, a half mile there. Taking it really slowly and not building up too fast. You'll hear many say "no more than 10% increase per week", but even at that rate, you ramp up too fast. I prefer 10% increase for the week, keep it there for 2 full weeks, cut back to previous mileage for a week, then go up another 10%, later, rinse, repeat.

Time on your feet is what you need right now.

Best of luck!
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    A really wise person clued me in that learning about form and cadence will help you be a better runner long-term.
  • likitisplit
    Options

I ran a 5k in March of last year and then started working on a plan to build my 5k. By June, my long run was 6 miles, so I went ahead and signed up for a 10k.
  • furbutt
    furbutt Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    From a women who lost 40 lbs and has gone from a 9:00 pace in a half marathon to a 6:45 pace for a full marathon it is always base building (mileage) first then speed. My recommendation would be to wear a heart rate monitor and run at 180-your age + or - 5 beats and run at whatever that pace is (which may be slow) for 12 weeks then incorporate speed. Greg Mcmillan writes great plans as does jack daniels. You could incorporate one "speed" workout a week that isnt repeats or sprints, its called tempo. A goal pace. For me a tempo would look like 3 easy miles, 5 miles at my goal pace, then 2 miles cool down, For you it may be 1 mile warm up 1 mile goal pace 1 mile cooldown...
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    For beginner and intermediate runners, increasing distance will eventually result in faster speeds. (like everyone has been saying)
    As Carson said, increase your weekly milage slowly. I made the mistake of adding too much way too fast.
    I am a reformed treadmiller that decided that all my treadmill runs will become outdoor runs and by the way, let's increase the weekly distance and continue to do strength training (including leg workouts) and only rest on Sundays. Yeah, my legs went shot after a 2 weeks of doing that intense increase.

So if you increase, remember to slap 2 rest days in the week. Preferbly the 2 days after your longer runs. Like for me Wed and Sunday. Cause Saturday is my long run day and Wed is the humpday in the week.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    From a women who lost 40 lbs and has gone from a 9:00 pace in a half marathon to a 6:45 pace for a full marathon...

That's legit!
  • AmyElle5840
    AmyElle5840 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You might try the Jeff Galloway method of Run-Walk-Run. I usually run for 2 songs and then walk (quickly) for one song. I've found that running faster for a shorter distance followed by a period of walking has improved my 5K speed over what it was when I ran the entire race. Some people like this method and others don't - but maybe it's worth a shot for you.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    Options
    From a women who lost 40 lbs and has gone from a 9:00 pace in a half marathon to a 6:45 pace for a full marathon...

That's legit!

Seriously. Congrats on the sub 3
  • likitisplit
    Options
    From a women who lost 40 lbs and has gone from a 9:00 pace in a half marathon to a 6:45 pace for a full marathon

Wild Applause!!!
  • Kirk_R
    Kirk_R Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    From a women who lost 40 lbs and has gone from a 9:00 pace in a half marathon to a 6:45 pace for a full marathon it is always base building (mileage) first then speed.

Wow, I should just take up knitting. ;) Nice work!
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options

Don't limit the length of your runs to the distance of the event for which you're training. I would start adding distance to at least one of the 5k runs your doing each week now. Running farther will make the 5k "easier".

Although the more I run the harder 5Ks get.
  • PeteWhoLikesToRunAlot
    PeteWhoLikesToRunAlot Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I'm about 10 people late on this, but echoing the others, distance first. Some speed will come out of that work. After you've built a solid base, tempo runs and intervals.