Pita Pit = Healthy Choices?

Options
mommarobb
mommarobb Posts: 80 Member
I need to vent.

So my hubby and I decide to go to the Pita Pit for dinner tonight and I order my fave chicken breast on whole wheat and ask for the onions to go on the grill. When they are assembling my pita I notice one of the staff draining a liquid off of my onions. I made a comment about them being watery. The staff politely informed me that they used their "special sauce" to sautee the veggies. I politely told them that I was counting calories and needed the nutritional value of the sauce. it turns out that for 15ml/1 tbsp, that it is 90 cals and 10 grams of fat. Pure fat!!!! that is what they are using to sautee veggies. Needless to say, I was not happy. I told the staff that they should let people know this info because to some of us it is important. This was not so politely said. I will also be filing a complaint as they advertise that they are all about healthy choices. So just a heads up that there may be quite a few hidden calories in your "healthy" pita.

Thanks for listening.

Replies

• tinylightsbelow
    tinylightsbelow Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    In my opinion Pita Pit is roughly as healthy as Subway, which is not much. :( So I just get a salad when I go there, and get it with the hummus or black bean.

That's really unfortunate that the sauce is pure oil! It's probably a pretty cheap oil too.
  • ericalan98
    Options
    Honestly, you sound like a nightmare of a customer. It's bad enough that you want then to sauté your veggies instead of consuming them raw, which is obviously healthier for you, but you complained about the liquid you saw coming off of them and then continued to complain that they didn't inform you of how many calories you were consuming by requesting a special order. I downloaded the PDF nutrition guide on my phone because it's my own responsibility to be aware of what my choices entail, not the underpaid employee that's making my pita the way I requested they make it. You wanted your onions sautéed, that's what they did for you. Give them a break, if you're concerned about your diet you should cross fat food off entirely and spend some time preparing your own food the way you want it prepared with the ingredients that work with your diet plan. Furthermore, perhaps you should write an apology letter for being so self centered and inconsiderate to the person that had to deal with you~ or send me the address so I can apologise for you.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Fat's not unhealthy. Do you have some sort of gallbladder issue that you need to know about fat? That's what sauteeing is--cooking in some sort of fat, be it butter, oil, etc. "Omg they cooked my veggies in pure oil!... olive oil!" Same thing.

You admit you didn't politely tell them to inform you of something that is your responsibility to ask about prior to something being made, and YOU are filing the complaint?

Everything about this hurts.
  • singlefemalelawyer
    singlefemalelawyer Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I love pita pit, and I've been eating there many times a week and I am fully aware that they use the secret sauce to sauté the veggies on the grill. If you're concerned about the "hidden" calories, then go on their website and "build your own pita" and include it and you'll get a pretty accurate calorie count for your pita. It's all made of healthy oils, so IIFYM why not?
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    WHAT?!?!? OIL IS USED TO SAUTE THINGS????

tumblr_mqetd3TTTB1sp9fcho1_500.gif
  • angelicprettyy
    Options
    Honestly, you sound like a nightmare of a customer. It's bad enough that you want then to sauté your veggies instead of consuming them raw, which is obviously healthier for you, but you complained about the liquid you saw coming off of them and then continued to complain that they didn't inform you of how many calories you were consuming by requesting a special order. I downloaded the PDF nutrition guide on my phone because it's my own responsibility to be aware of what my choices entail, not the underpaid employee that's making my pita the way I requested they make it. You wanted your onions sautéed, that's what they did for you. Give them a break, if you're concerned about your diet you should cross fat food off entirely and spend some time preparing your own food the way you want it prepared with the ingredients that work with your diet plan. Furthermore, perhaps you should write an apology letter for being so self centered and inconsiderate to the person that had to deal with you~ or send me the address so I can apologise for you.
    This. Come on, man.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    I need to vent.

So my hubby and I decide to go to the Pita Pit for dinner tonight and I order my fave chicken breast on whole wheat and ask for the onions to go on the grill. When they are assembling my pita I notice one of the staff draining a liquid off of my onions. I made a comment about them being watery. The staff politely informed me that they used their "special sauce" to sautee the veggies. I politely told them that I was counting calories and needed the nutritional value of the sauce. it turns out that for 15ml/1 tbsp, that it is 90 cals and 10 grams of fat. Pure fat!!!! that is what they are using to sautee veggies. Needless to say, I was not happy. I told the staff that they should let people know this info because to some of us it is important. This was not so politely said. I will also be filing a complaint as they advertise that they are all about healthy choices. So just a heads up that there may be quite a few hidden calories in your "healthy" pita.

Thanks for listening.

so far the only PITA i see in this thread is you.

just be glad the staff bothered to tell you what the nutritional value of the sauce was.

and how is the sauce not a healthy choice?
    90cals isnt bad. 10g of fat isnt bad.

nice job being rude to someone who did you no wrong.
  • Escloflowne
    Escloflowne Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    I feel this is a non issue

I.C.E. Cream Official Tester
    IKEA Professional Put Together-er
    Kickboxing Class Attender
    Been in fitness for about 2 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    The staff politely informed me that they used their "special sauce" to sautee the veggies. I politely told them that I was counting calories and needed the nutritional value of the sauce. it turns out that for 15ml/1 tbsp, that it is 90 cals and 10 grams of fat. Pure fat!!!! that is what they are using to sautee veggies. Needless to say, I was not happy.

The answer to that question could have been a LOT worse.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Oh cool there's already a thread about the Pita Pit so I don't have to start a new one to vent about this horrible customer I had to deal with today.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    It doesn't sound like they did anything wrong. If you make changes to your order it's going to affect the calorie count. Lesson learned, next time you'll know to ask up front.
  • ChristiH4000
    ChristiH4000 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    My favorite pita is the Hummus pita on wheat with loads of fresh veggies and that tzatziki (sp?) sauce. It makes my mouth happy for under 400 calories.
    If they put it on the grill in a restaurant, I generally assume it's going to be sauteed with an oil unless you specifically request otherwise. Most places have both low cal and high cal options, but we do have to be careful when we go off the traditional menu. It's our responsibility at that point.
  • TheGymGypsy
    TheGymGypsy Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    Um if you want a healthy meal why don't you make it yourself instead of yelling at some poor folks just trying to do their jobs? People like you make my work a nightmare.
  • Cameron_1969
    Cameron_1969 Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    What's a pita and why is it served from a pit?
  • Dewymorning
    Dewymorning Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Pita Pit is a fave choice of mine for days I don't have time for dinner.

And yeah, if you asked them to sautee your onions they are going to add oil.

Lesson learnt.
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    They should have used butter for better Caramelization of the onions.
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    Oh cool there's already a thread about the Pita Pit so I don't have to start a new one to vent about this horrible customer I had to deal with today.

hahahahaha
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    It's impossible to saute something without fat. Saute means to cook in fat.

I get the hummus on wheat pita with no cheese and most of the other veggies and it is just over 300 calories for a big filling sandwich. That's a pretty good deal as far as fast food goes.
  • _db_
    _db_ Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    FWIW, their "special sauce" is olive oil, banana pepper juice, salt, pepper, oregano and garlic.

Which part of that is so unhealthy?
  • MariaChele85
    MariaChele85 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Yes, I think it should be up to the consumer to view the nutritional menu before ordering. The restaurants only requirement should be to provide the nutritional menu.

ETA: We dont have a Pita Pit here in Dallas. But if it's like Subway, Subway advertises healthy lunch, but it depends on how you order because that sandwhich can end up being worst than a Big Mac from McDonalds.