Tortilla Chips & Crackers

Options
RejsGirl
RejsGirl Posts: 198 Member
Hi, I am trying to find a substitution for tortilla chips and crackers. I'm a huge snacker and I love hummus, salsa and spinach dip but I'm not happy eating the chips. Does anyone know of a more nutritious option?
TIA!

Replies

• jasminecoco
    jasminecoco Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Mary's Gone Crackers, organic, gluten free.

Haven't had these myself but all the health experts are recommending these.
  • kristin329
    kristin329 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I totally know how you fell as this is the one item I'm missing the most. Looking forward to the suggestions.
  • waltcote
    waltcote Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I would go with veggies myself. A six cracker serving of crackers is just a tease. Ditto with chips. I like to put my salsa on salads. Or just about anything that sounds good, burgers etc.:bigsmile:
  • waltcote
    waltcote Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    My other new favorite snack is Franks Red Hot on my microwave popcorn! :devil:
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    If you're looking for a hummus-to-mouth delivery device only, veggies - cucumbers, carrots, celery.

If you're looking for a salty crunch, then just weigh out a portion of chips or crackers and put the rest away.
  • msfine2328
    msfine2328 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Veggies. Have you tried to make your own Kale chips and use that instead?? Or, and even though it is from Trade Joe's not sure how calorie friendly it is, have you tried those baked snap peas??
  • BaileyClouthier
    BaileyClouthier Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Love Maryannes crackers!
  • Mango1101
    Options
    You could cut up squash or even kale and dehydrate them also. It gives a crunchiness like chips. Very delicious!!
  • tinklemar
    tinklemar Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Try Popcorners - gluten free. They are popped corn chips. I find them in the health food section at my grocer. Super delicious and go great with dips for a lot less guilt!
  • laurie04427
    laurie04427 Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Hummus and carrot sticks.
  • fitacct
    fitacct Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Here are a few non-veggie ideas: Hint of Salt Triscuit is my favorite hummus dipper (great with spinach dip, too). There's a low-fat Triscuit, as well, though it's higher in sodium. Another good hummus dipper is PopChips Mediterranean Herb Veggie Chips. For dips and hummus, Walmart's World Table brand Mediterranean Herb Bruschetta Rounds is great. For salsa, I buy Xochitl No-Salt Tortilla chips (they're really thin and crispy) and count out a portion and put away the bag. Nothing beats tortilla chips for salsa, imo.
  • nm212
    nm212 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    I discovered Ok Mak crackers and never went back anything else! It's not your typical "cracker" it's stone-ground wheat crackers and is high fiber and VERY low cal. To me they are a very nutritious option when baby carrots and veggies are not cutting the craving! It makes you feel full too because of the whole grains.

5 Crackers per serving (and they are BIG) is 100 calories and sometimes only eat half of that because it hits the spot! Try it!

http://www.akmakbakeries.com/wholeofthewheat.html

I usually buy them at Trader Joes but I'm sure any grocery store would have them. Good for dips and stuff...hummus yum :)
  • midnightjogger
    midnightjogger Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Chips has always been my big problem with weight gain. I can never eat just one. I started using tostadas since I began my mfp in a lot of my lunches and sometimes dinner. They take care of the chip craving-but you can up to three (1 serving)-which is perfect for me.
  • Pirate_chick
    Pirate_chick Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    baked lays, 120 calories per ounce or baked pita chips 130 calories per oz. Also Baby carrots are great for a crunch and with hummus, 35 calories for 3 oz.
  • Runs4Wine
    Runs4Wine Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    One of the things I gave up for Lent was chips. I've started eating hummus with veggies - carrots, celery, cucumbers, tomatoes, mushrooms. While it's not what I really want, it does help and fill me up with good stuff.
  • Via88
    Via88 Posts: 46
    Options
    I found some great lentil chips at wholefoods. I know you said you didn't want chips, but at least those are made out of lentils :).
  • chunkybun
    chunkybun Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I cut up a whole wheat tortilla shell and bake in the oven at 315 degrees for about 8 minutes until crispy.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    If you're looking for a hummus-to-mouth delivery device only, veggies - cucumbers, carrots, celery.

If you're looking for a salty crunch, then just weigh out a portion of chips or crackers and put the rest away.

this. +1
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Mary's Gone Crackers, organic, gluten free.

Haven't had these myself but all the health experts are recommending these.

Unless you are gluten intolerant, gluten free really isn't any better than products with gluten. and which health experts are recommending them?